Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭EMPotatohands

cajonlardo wrote: »
    Give them a pass will you?

72 hours in work is tiring - 72 hours in healthcare could be exhausting. Things that are normally insignificant grate on your nerves and things get old fast :)

They don’t need a pass from me lol. I was just stating facts 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Knine wrote: »
    Oh do I spot a Border Terrier there? I have 3 of them.

Yup :)

First one after many years of gundogs .

Great little dogs , they're very under rated .

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Still very cold in Sligo, bit a thaw for the little snow we did have. Sky very grey at the moment though, with further showers forecast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Moderate granular wettish snow mixed with proper flakes now. Slight accumulation in past 40 mins. Should be another few hours of this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Not a flake in Drogheda...wah!! Plenty of thawing going on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Lads how do you post an image?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

My Mother sent me this...the dog thinks it's food!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Very heavy snow in Terenure at the moment. Almost 24 hours non stop now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Can't agree, over exaggeration highest gust today was a mere 22km/h @ 13:32

At time of your post, a few were already posting a thaw, at thaw that now @ 15:10 is in full swing.

There's no blizzard and there is probably some thaw but its hardly noticeable as the snow is still falling heavily and its a net increase hour by hour. Now 20cm in every part of my garden in suburbia. Its 40 to 80cm up against walls. Oh and MT reckons there is 20 to 40cm more to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Temp down to freezing at Howth. DP -1.1c.

This stuff will start to settle - just a little lower.

vws742.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Woods near my house, a winter wonderland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

200motels wrote: »
    Lads how do you post an image?

You need to upload it online most people seem to use imgur..then when you're making a post click on the little square icon of mountain with yellow sky and copy in the image url

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Route1

When is this expected to start melting?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

No let up at all since Wednesday evening in my location (south-east coast). Snow levels up to my knees here (I’m well over 6 foot!).

Power has recently gone too which is when things start to become more difficult as living rurally, I cannot see any way crews can get out here for the next couple of days. Powerbanks about to run out of charge soon and it looks like Tayto sandwiches and milk for the foreseeable.

Stay safe everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Route1 wrote: »
    When is this expected to start melting?

Gradually..from tonight onwards but clearly some places have already started thawing..most places should be relatively snow free by monday with snow still lasting from some of the huge drifts though

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭whattodo1

My back garden now Tinahely Co wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭gumgum1

Well im half way between enniscorthy and wexford . we have at 2 to 3 feet of snow with drifts covering the car .. definitely a red warning event

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

Snow above knee height in Arklow now, a jeep was abandoned in the middle of the road near me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Starting to come down heavy in Naas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Just had a walkabout in D15. Some footpaths are relatively fine, just a normal kind of snow, on the next road foothpaths have deep drifts in places, up and over garden walls. Not easy to negotiate. Definitely a lot more snow around than yesterday, and it still hasn't stopped.

Im gonna miss this snow I wish events like this weren't so rare. Really makes so ridiculously happy.. I feel under pressure to take so many pics right now for memories haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭appledrop

Blizzard like conditions again now in North County Dublin. We had none all day so I was hoping that was the end of it! Cabin fever now. Have a small toddler so going outside for 5 mins all he really is able for.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Some of the heavy appearance to the radar near Welsh coast is due to ice pellets or hail giving a stronger return. There is an elevated warm sector being mixed out as a result of compression of descending air from Welsh highlands.

My guess at this point is that Emma has risen from the canvas and will stagger on towards Kerry, taking the next 18 hours to get there, and with no significant warm advection and the approach of night, just enough cooling in the boundary layers to overcome phase change in the south except possibly sw Cork and s Kerry briefly late tonight.

This means incredibly another 20-40 cm of snow possible in parts of the south and Wicklow, Wexford. Another 10-30 cm possible Dublin to Galway. Snow moisture content is increasing but may stabilize after 21z.

Emma's sister appears to want some of this action too, she's lined up behind Emma now taking almost the same track.

I am not that sold on any model depictions of warm advection, even limited, especially if lows don't push inland. Seen this movie before, cold over heavy snow is hard to budge, and seas are getting colder by the day (4-6 C widespread in North Sea and Baltic 1-3 C).

Would take this day by day and expect only a very gradual melt although urban heat islands and faint warmth of March sun even through partlial cloud will keep a slow thaw going in cities. Rather than flooding there will be ponding. Businesses with flat roofs and more than 30 cm snow cover would be well advised to try to clear their roofs by Monday, leaks will begin when the snow gets saturated and there can be collapses if it rains.

M.T. Cranium on the technical thread suggests that it will take Emma 18 hours to pass over Kerry with 20-40cm of snow for the south, Wexford and Wicklow! This tallies with what we are experiencing here on the south Coast. Conditions have been exactly the same since 8am this morning. What is best described as moderate snow has been falling constantly since 8am. We already have significant accumulations here. Another 40cm would mean we won’t be able to open our windows here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Any benefit in digging down to drain gulleys on road to help when the thaw starts?

Been snowing non stop here in Firhouse since last night and have almost 2ft in front and back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭obriener2054

Waist deep on the road outside the house here in Manor Kilbride

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Lia_lia wrote: »
    My Mother sent me this...the dog thinks it's food!

My dog does the same. Snow must taste nice to them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭whattodo1

Deedsie wrote: »
    That looks picture perfect. Very nice

Thank you

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You have to be a stupid ****ing idiot to go swimming on a day like this. You should absolutely be prosecuted for it.

• Advertisement

Just realised I haven't turned on my TV since tuesday evening..who needs a Tv when you have snow to look at

Advertisement