Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Omg OMG I didn't know what it was but jaysizzzz creeeest I know now. I've been looking at satellite images all week, I friggin know now, if someone had only sat me down early in the week and told me.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

What is the latest guidance. Temperatures dropping again combined with this slow moving system could mean another massive snowfall for parts tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I have work at 8 in the morning, but by the way things are down here I doubt I'll make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Kiith wrote: »
    You have to be a stupid ****ing idiot to go swimming on a day like this. You should absolutely be prosecuted for it.

Yes. That goes for the gobsh1tes who go for a drive up Sally Gap too. They should be arrested and made pay for the cost of the rescue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭greasepalm

been reading on other forum of dogs paws getting infected because not been used to the extremely harsh conditions,dog boots needed in these occasions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭adgib

wakka12 wrote: »
    Does anyone else's dog hate the snow? My dog won't even go outside for a pee anymore because of the snow

The only way i can get dog out,is to clear an area on the patio,,won't do a number 2 though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

It's been non-stop in north Waterford City since I woke up at 0730, but has only gotten heavier in the last few hours. Made a run to the shop for some neighbours, but it's unlike anything I've ever seen before. The majority of people have been sensible enough here, but the arrogance of others still boggles the mind.

s7is3Xd.jpg

YCsmeKk.jpg

AUr7oow.jpg

W4Xs3zr.jpg

hNuHVAy.jpg

xzV8S0S.jpg

8rSxN2d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Snowing all day in lucan, some 5ft drifts in my back garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Don't be too hard on them, they must have run out of bread. Absolutely incredible scenes. I imagine this surpasses the snowfall of 1982 at this stage for those who have witnessed both.

Not by a long way yet according to my memory. In Dublin 15, in 82 the army ran lorries to deliver milk and bread and remember them helping people into the back of them, as transport. At the moment we have about 2~4 ft of drifts. back then it was 6~8ft, I know it was up the top of my parents 8th garden wall, and blocked in the back door and we had to dig it out. I used a crates to build a slide from the top of the wall into the garden.

Probably 82 was like the worst bits you see on the news now, but all over. I don't remember anyone driving for about a week back then. Thus far, I've only had today of being unable to drive. At the moment this is about on par or just slightly worse with 2010. 2010 was made worse then it really was because they didn't grit or clear the roads early enough. Also 2010 was colder. We've only seen -4 max. Back then we saw -10~11. The battery in my car froze.

But those times it was country wide. This storm is odd in that there are huge differences between one area and the next even not that far apart.

We also have modern tyres, 4x4, gritters and snow ploughs. Didn't have any of that in 82. Of course in 82 you had people who had lived through the one in the 40's and that one far worse than 82 apparently.

I remember the thaw in 82 was miserable. Lasted for ages, cold and wet. Slush everywhere.

Of course depends where you are. Some places are pretty bad this time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

wakka12 wrote: »
    Does anyone else's dog hate the snow? My dog won't even go outside for a pee anymore because of the snow

Mine wasn't too keen first thing this morning , but had a great time charging around earlier :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

What is the latest guidance. Temperatures dropping again combined with this slow moving system could mean another massive snowfall for parts tonight?

M.T. in Technical thread says up to 40cm could fall in parts of the South, Wexford and Wicklow over evening and through the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Friend of mine now has no power in Monasterevin.

Not an enjoyable experience for them now.

They have a gas bottle for heating, but that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Trolls are alive and well outside of Boards

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/969599220704530432

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Some heavy bands of snow now moving in off the Irish Sea affecting much of the east coast and the Dublin area.
    Temp continues to drop and snow accumulating nicely again
    0.6C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

beauf wrote: »
    Not by a long way yet according to my memory. In Dublin 15, in 82 the army ran lorries to deliver milk and bread and remember them helping people into the back of them, as transport. At the moment we have about 2~4 ft of drifts. back then it was 6~8ft, I know it was up the top of my parents 8th garden wall, and blocked in the back door and we had to dig it out. I used a crates to build a slide from the top of the wall into the garden.

Probably 82 was like the worst bits you see on the news now, but all over. I don't remember anyone driving for about a week back then. Thus far, I've only had today of being unable to drive. At the moment this is about on par or just slightly worse with 2010. 2010 was made worse then it really was because they didn't grit or clear the roads early enough. Also 2010 was colder. We've only seen -4 max. Back then we saw -10~11. The battery in my car froze.

But those times it was country wide. This storm is odd in that there are huge differences between one area and the next even not that far apart.

We also have modern tyres, 4x4, gritters and snow ploughs. Didn't have any of that in 82. Of course in 82 you had people who had lived through the one in the 40's and that one far worse than 82 apparently.

I remember the thaw in 82 was miserable. Lasted for ages, cold and wet. Slush everywhere.

I remember 1982 all too well and it's on a par with it, the only difference is we didn't know it was coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

Loving it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

I'm right in the shadow of the Wicklow mountains on the radar ,been very light stuff all day. Will the winds change to give us more of the proper stuff ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Today was a good day!!

I wonder how many snowmen were built today in Ireland???? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Hasn't really snowed in Skerries for almost 24 hours.

The concrete in the front and back of the houses is almost fully visible and the grass is maybe 40% clear.

Comparing it to 1982 is pie in the sky stuff for where we're sitting given how quickly this has passed.

All we have is icey ungritted roads and a bitter wind that means the kids can't go out.

And a broken front door from where a neighbourhood kid let go of it in the wind yesterday and the guide fail got mangled. Had to cut it with a hacksaw to get it closed yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Idk if you've seen MT's forecast but he predicts more large snowfalls in large parts of the country today and tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,470 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

im in d4 ,can see the patio for the first time so a bit of a day time thaw anyway

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭crashadder

so i am new in the country and wasnt expecting that life would shut down in Dublin so i havent prepared for this in terms of supplies. I have enough to last me until sunday maybe. what am i supposed to do if the grocery stores dont open ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

beauf wrote: »

Infrastructure though was surely much worse back then so the impact would have been felt more heavily.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Blizzardly on the Grange Road in Rathfarnham at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Yes. That goes for the gobsh1tes who go for a drive up Sally Gap too. They should be arrested and made pay for the cost of the rescue.

I can absolutely guarantee you that there is nobody up The Gap today. We have 2m drifts in Manor Kilbride village and nobody is getting in or out of here for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Snow settling in Santry. Temp fallen and intensity increased. Even some small signs of renewed drifting.

Not on cars though funnily enough which are normally the first to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

crashadder wrote: »
    so i am new in the country and wasnt expecting that life would shut down in Dublin so i havent prepared for this in terms of supplies. I have enough to last me until sunday maybe. what am i supposed to do if the grocery stores dont open ?

You've seen the movie Alive right?

#staystrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Everyone else reporting thaw but in Blanch it’s snowing heavy and no signs of thaw at all? Do I live in a micro climate? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Today was a good day!!

I wonder how many snowmen were built today in Ireland???? :D

I would say snowman construction hit its peak yesterday and now kids are very bored of being housebound for the third day haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

really latched on to some decent precipitation for the past hour or two. Hoping it lasts. Bout an inch out of this batch of ppn so far give or take

Advertisement