Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

crashadder wrote: »
    so i am new in the country and wasnt expecting that life would shut down in Dublin so i havent prepared for this in terms of supplies. I have enough to last me until sunday maybe. what am i supposed to do if the grocery stores dont open ?

Going by forecasts, they'll be back open by tomorrow in most parts of Dublin - Lidl are open today in fact, check their Facebook. Most likely places to be open will be petrol stations and Centra/Spar corner shops.

The real question is how well stocked they all will be!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭brookers

beauf wrote: »
    Not by a long way yet according to my memory. In Dublin 15, in 82 the army ran lorries to deliver milk and bread and remember them helping people into the back of them, as transport. At the moment we have about 2~4 ft of drifts. back then it was 6~8ft, I know it was up the top of my parents 8th garden wall, and blocked in the back door and we had to dig it out. I used a crates to build a slide from the top of the wall into the garden.

Probably 82 was like the worst bits you see on the news now, but all over. I don't remember anyone driving for about a week back then. Thus far, I've only had today of being unable to drive. At the moment this is about on par or just slightly worse with 2010. 2010 was made worse then it really was because they didn't grit or clear the roads early enough. Also 2010 was colder. We've only seen -4 max. Back then we saw -10~11. The battery in my car froze.

But those times it was country wide. This storm is odd in that there are huge differences between one area and the next even not that far apart.

We also have modern tyres, 4x4, gritters and snow ploughs. Didn't have any of that in 82. Of course in 82 you had people who had lived through the one in the 40's and that one far worse than 82 apparently.

I remember the thaw in 82 was miserable. Lasted for ages, cold and wet. Slush everywhere.

Of course depends where you are. Some places are pretty bad this time too.

1982 wasnt as bad, I was 18 then and living on a farm, same place now totally cut off and drifts much higher and snow falling for twice as long. now is way worse....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Today was a good day!!

I wonder how many snowmen were built today in Ireland???? :D

More than anytime in the last decade including 2010 and 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

Everyone else reporting thaw but in Blanch it’s snowing heavy and no signs of thaw at all? Do I live in a micro climate? :pac:

Its pretty much been snowing all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

quad_red wrote: »
    Hasn't really snowed in Skerries for almost 24 hours.

The concrete in the front and back of the houses is almost fully visible and the grass is maybe 40% clear.

Comparing it to 1982 is pie in the sky stuff for where we're sitting given how quickly this has passed.

All we have is icey ungritted roads and a bitter wind that means the kids can't go out.

And a broken front door from where a neighbourhood kid let go of it in the wind yesterday and the guide fail got mangled. Had to cut it with a hacksaw to get it closed yesterday evening.

Skerries and Balbriggan are the unsniwiest parts of north county Dublin unfortunately. Always were and always will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭RustyGate

Infrastructure though was surely much worse back then so the impact would have been felt more heavily.

But the depths were significantly greater than today in this part of Dublin 6. But this is not over yet, another foot or two and we are there (here).

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Blizzardly on the Grange Road in Rathfarnham at the moment.

Is the Lidl or Centra open down there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

All roads that had melted slightly from cars today have gone completely white again, I'd estimate about 3 inches have fallen in the last few hours - nonstop heavy snow (D18)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭morticia2

200motels wrote: »
    I remember 1982 all too well and it's on a par with it, the only difference is we didn't know it was coming.

Living in roughly the same area of south Dublin as I was in 82 (well, within 3 miles)...82 was definitely worse so far, for this area. And colder, I think. 2010 in this area also; so cold then that we really got hit....first landfall off the sea. There's much more melting. Twice as much lying snow by Christmas Day 2010 also. Might be as much snow falling in this, but the melt this close to the coast (10m walk) is keeping levels down to 10cm max, more like 5-6 in most places.

ME just issued another red....may be eating my words by tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Everyone else reporting thaw but in Blanch it’s snowing heavy and no signs of thaw at all? Do I live in a micro climate? :pac:

Id say there likely is a slight thaw there too seems to be in most places along the east coast..look at walls and side of cars theres probably some drips of water on them. Thaw is pretty mild here too though in D14 , the snow is accumulating enough to counter any thawing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

seen that,folk goin on about a thaw,as you say D15 has been relentless with the snow and no signs of stopping, thaw my bollocks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Snow cornices/overhangs on the stream in my estate in Dublin 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Tooshjr81

Gorey town, North Wexford. Little to no snow this time yesterday.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

crashadder wrote: »
    so i am new in the country and wasnt expecting that life would shut down in Dublin so i havent prepared for this in terms of supplies. I have enough to last me until sunday maybe. what am i supposed to do if the grocery stores dont open ?

Lidl and Aldi are open today, check their facebook

Dunnes, Tesco and Supervalu will probably open tomorrow

It's snowing in Swords now the past couple of hours but doesn't seem to be sticking

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭easyvision

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    All roads that had melted slightly from cars today have gone completely white again, I'd estimate about 3 inches have fallen in the last few hours - nonstop heavy snow (D18)

Yeah been heavy snow all day in Cabinteely, think its meant to continue into the night! I need to get out of the house, im getting bored

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

STATUS RED

Snow-ice Warning for Dublin, Kildare, Wexford, Wicklow and Meath
    Update
    Snow accumulations continuing to increase significantly due to further heavy falls of snow

Issued:Friday 02 March 2018 15:46
    Valid:Friday 02 March 2018 16:00 to Saturday 03 March 2018 09:00

Warning extended till tomorrow for some

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

STATUS RED

Snow-ice Warning for Dublin, Kildare, Wexford, Wicklow and Meath
    Update
    Snow accumulations continuing to increase significantly due to further heavy falls of snow

Issued:Friday 02 March 2018 15:46
    Valid:Friday 02 March 2018 16:00 to Saturday 03 March 2018 09:00

Cork has been removed :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

beauf wrote: »
    Not by a long way yet according to my memory. In Dublin 15, in 82 the army ran lorries to deliver milk and bread and remember them helping people into the back of them, as transport. At the moment we have about 2~4 ft of drifts. back then it was 6~8ft, I know it was up the top of my parents 8th garden wall, and blocked in the back door and we had to dig it out. I used a crates to build a slide from the top of the wall into the garden.

Probably 82 was like the worst bits you see on the news now, but all over. I don't remember anyone driving for about a week back then. Thus far, I've only had today of being unable to drive. At the moment this is about on par or just slightly worse with 2010. 2010 was made worse then it really was because they didn't grit or clear the roads early enough. Also 2010 was colder. We've only seen -4 max. Back then we saw -10~11. The battery in my car froze.

But those times it was country wide. This storm is odd in that there are huge differences between one area and the next even not that far apart.

We also have modern tyres, 4x4, gritters and snow ploughs. Didn't have any of that in 82. Of course in 82 you had people who had lived through the one in the 40's and that one far worse than 82 apparently.

I remember the thaw in 82 was miserable. Lasted for ages, cold and wet. Slush everywhere.

Of course depends where you are. Some places are pretty bad this time too.

https://youtu.be/rLzvI_wxW3U

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Daniel2590 wrote: »

Yep, incredible snow in D18 after two days of meh!
    Not sure how long it will take for all this to thaw. I was 10 in '82 so my memory is of mountains but it can't have been much bigger than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭morticia2

Deedsie wrote: »
    They will be open tomorrow. If you are planning on staying in Ireland you will be better prepared for the next time. Prob around 2025

I'm taking bets on the next 3 years......solar minimum. Wouldn't be surprised if it all kicks off in December again next winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭dubal

kittyn wrote: »
    Is the Lidl or Centra open down there?

The On the run on the Grange Road hasn't closed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

RustyGate wrote: »
    But the depths were significantly greater than today. But this is not over yet, another foot or two and we are there.

Depth seem pretty similar in some areas. I guess it comes down to perception based on location. I am in North Louth and it has been a pretty tame affair so far. Decent covering but nothing like what some parts are experiencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Wind has died down here a little in north Dublin helping the accumulation (no harm for temps either)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Snow cornices/overhangs on the stream in my estate in Dublin 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Wet snow has moved off now and changed to a more drier snow building up accumulations again in D12.

Radar is showing some intensity building up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

It has been snowing fairly heavily in Dublin 9 for the past three hours. It's accumulating most places, however it's not settling on cleared roads and paths. Temperature is 0.8c, but it must be fairly marginal. I hope the temperatures drop further.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Skerries and Balbriggan are the unsniwiest parts of north county Dublin unfortunately. Always were and always will be.

That may well be - but skerries natives here have plenty of stories of the carnage of 1982. Eight days of hardcore snow. The hill into the town unpassable, snow drifts, 8 foot snowmen etc.

This time was 3 cms of snow for less than 24 hours and now a thaw. It doesn't compare to 1982 in any shape or form. Or even 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Pleasantly surprised when I woke up this morning to about 7 inches of snow.
    It was starting to thaw about ten-ish, I thought that was it but it's been snowing non stop all day about 11am.

At first it was light little flakes but for last few hours they've been big fat thick ones and they're sticking.

I cleared garden furniture at about 9am and now there's about an inch and half on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Colham

Been snowing in Maynooth all day. Some drifts up to 2 meters in height. Can't see me moving my car until Sunday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

My dog didn't make it far out the front door for a run :pac:

Advertisement