Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭thomasj

Blizzard in Clonsilla now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Heavy now. Nice. Cars getting a dusting again now. Roofs, bushes etc already dusted.

I'd say additional 2cms so far on snow covered areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Cant believe the snow today in south dublin..I really thought today was a non event and would simply be a day of thawing..I thought this was the end! But the snow is heavier now than int he supposed peak of storm emma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Raining and thawing in Cabra

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Dreading the thaw. I'm fooked

28378086_10155103708686121_8732441701370560512_o.jpg?oh=f3e8e415ffb74e6c2c2366d749c5cd79&oe=5B4572CA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Everyone else reporting thaw but in Blanch it’s snowing heavy and no signs of thaw at all? Do I live in a micro climate? :pac:

It's absoloutely mental here. Blows 2010 to pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Heavy snow here still.

This is turning into a serious snow event for my location.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Moderate snow in Loughlinstown piling up nicely, dew point is -0.3, getting very close to sleet, going a bit mad taking pics and videos of it all the same :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

Lucan - Ballyowen Road this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Tralee got very little to be fair, id say about 2 inches this morning but it quickly thawed out :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Nobody has been tempted to leave my road (by car)!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

Raining and thawing in Cabra

I'm in Cabra too but whatever is falling from the sky still looks very white. Wind still cutting aswell

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,295 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

200motels wrote: »
    The latest radar from Rain viewer

Donegal and Sligo getting an unexpected pasting looking at that?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Swellan

Met Eireann's Climate Dept. are asking the public to record snow depths in an open area at 9am, using a ruler or builders measuring tape, take a photo of it and send with location. More info see ObsClimatology on Twitter or send to Met Eireanns Facebook page. Apologies if this was posted earlier, i only went back a few pages.
    Im in longford, windy here now and v fine horizontal snow. Nite folks, im enjoying this thread this week.

Any other way of sending photo in? I'm not on either of those platforms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

thomasj wrote: »
    Blizzard in Clonsilla now

that's not a blizzard, please stop saying bizzard

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Heavy snow in Dublin 15. Heading out to build an igloo with the little fella once I've tidied up a few loose ends from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    seen that,folk goin on about a thaw,as you say D15 has been relentless with the snow and no signs of stopping, thaw my bollocks

Have you researched Willy warmers?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The partial thawing is going to be a major hazard later on when temperatures drop and it freezes - the wet layer is sitting under all the snow and could freeze very hard. There's going to be more than a few arrogant drivers caught out tonight thinking they can handle the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

STATUS RED

Snow-ice Warning for Dublin, Kildare, Wexford, Wicklow and Meath
    Update
    Snow accumulations continuing to increase significantly due to further heavy falls of snow

Issued:Friday 02 March 2018 15:46
    Valid:Friday 02 March 2018 16:00 to Saturday 03 March 2018 09:00

Munster changed to Orange

STATUS ORANGE

Snow-ice Warning for Munster, Carlow, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Louth, Offaly, Westmeath, Cavan, Monaghan and Galway
    Snow accumulations continuing to increase due to further falls of snow

Issued:Friday 02 March 2018 15:00

STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Donegal, Leitrim, Mayo, Roscommon and Sligo
    Scattered snow showers

Issued:Friday 02 March 2018 15:00

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

I'm surprised Waterford isn't included in the updated red warning, still no sign of it stopping out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Unearthly wrote: »
    It's absoloutely mental here. Blows 2010 to pieces.

Yeah people comparing it to that must not be looking at the falls in places and are sitting in areas getting off lightly. 2010 is not remotely comparable to this event.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

yermandan wrote: »
    Dreading the thaw. I'm fooked

28378086_10155103708686121_8732441701370560512_o.jpg?oh=f3e8e415ffb74e6c2c2366d749c5cd79&oe=5B4572CA

It'd hard to believe this is actually taken in Ireland. It's what we are used to seeing from Norway or any other snowy country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Heavy snow continues
    0.4C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Graupel in Dublin 5 mixed with snow. That snow really struggled to settle, especially on cars. Graupel doing a much better job whitening the place (and even that is struggling slightly). There was no real thaw to begin with here, so not too bogged down about the lack of settling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

That brings back memories.

1982 definitely more snow and taller drifts in my patch of NCD

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭RustyGate

Deedsie wrote: »
    They will be open tomorrow. If you are planning on staying in Ireland you will be better prepared for the next time. Prob around 2025

2010 followed 2009 directly and some say a solar minimum was a contributory factor. We are heading into another solar minimum, so I wouldn't be all that sure we won't see a severe cold snap happening again for a long time (but then I'm just guessing)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

snow starting to stick here again, hopefully it will top up what has melted so far today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

optogirl wrote: »
    I'm in Cabra too but whatever is falling from the sky still looks very white. Wind still cutting aswell

No rain in this part of Cabra either (St Attracta), it's all snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

The slight thawing visible on cleared paths and cars today has stopped and is getting well covered again here in Ballyfermot. Snow hasn't stopped all day. No real further drifting as the winds have totally eased but the inches are starting to build again in the constant snow.

Looks like Centras and Iceland is/were open. Lots of people heading home with bags. A lot more folk out and about today compared to yesterday with very few cars being driven.

Advertisement