Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Should waterford not have updated red alert .looking at radar it seems we could be hit big time again no ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Your man Jerry is on with maura and daiti, he must sick **** talking about this weather event by now! Where's Joanna I wonder ;).

Maybe getting ready to be interviewed by Tubridy on the Late Late Show tonight or will that be Siobhan Ryan?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Firhouse been hammered all day. Definitely added cms to what is already there. I really hope that the thaw begins tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Proper heavy snow here currently, doubt I'll see the likes of this here again in my lifetime, truly amazing.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Starting to stick here again in Donabate - first time all day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

northgirl wrote: »
    I was prepared for a day or two. I had an accident on the way to work on Wednesday so that threw my preparations off slightly. I reckon it could be Monday before I can travel if even then.

I have a keen interest in the weather and have been monitoring this long before many were ,so yes, I was aware that it was going to take place. Forgive me if I, like I assume some others were, was taken slightly by surprise by it's severity.

I'm not quite sure how much more the Government could have done. They issued the strongest warnings I have ever seen in relation to a snow event in Ireland. The MET have been constantly banging the drum about just how bad things could get. Its up to people to act after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

I can't even fathom the conditions going to be experienced in the coming hours in parts that already had 5 feet plus drifts. Absolutely pelting it down in Dublin 9. Really thought it was over early with the lack of precip and thaw - building up very nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

What's the N81 like heading north from Baltinglass, Blessington, Tallaght?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Addle wrote: »
    The main difference between this episode and previous is that it's all on the ground.
    The wind has blown the snow off every tree and roof around.

Still on trees, sheds, hedges here south of Kilkenny City...light snow all day, same as yesterday and last night but 3-4 inches is all and sticking since yesterday morning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

proper heavy snow now in dalkey. Crazy conditions. Accumulating very fast now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Went for a little trek safe to say I wont be going to far for a few days.hope u can see the pics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I love it when people get artistic or creative like this! Absolutely brilliant.

https://twitter.com/sean78x/status/969614315341910017

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sunsetbeachfan

Been constantly snowing all day the path was cleared four hours ago and is not completely covered in snow again, few inches. Really heavy snow and gusts. Stillorgan Dublin. I've a flight Sunday morning Dublin Airport and don't see it happening somehow. Was meant to be flying today but was cancelled.
    What are the chances of flights leaving Dublin Sunday morning? Apologies if I should have asked this in another thread.
    Never experienced weather like this in my 29years. Been watching tv3and rte weather programmes most of the day. Also never seen the TV schedule taken over by weather so much before. This is really is historic in Dublin for snow. I went to Blackrock and noticed in stillorgan there is that bit extra snow fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

wakka12 wrote: »
    Does anyone else's dog hate the snow? My dog won't even go outside for a pee anymore because of the snow

Our Jack Russell thought the snowman in garden was intruder.. Barked mad at it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

revelman wrote: »
    I was really surprised to find lower measurements of snow depth a few minutes ago compared to what I found this morning here near Kinsale. Surprised because we have had constant moderate (and at times heavy) snow since 8am this morning.

This morning I got measurements of 28 cm on a level part of my driveway and 60cm on the front lawn. Just now I got 26cm on the driveway and 50cm on the same spot in the front lawn. Walking a bit down the road, there does appear to be a bit of a thaw going on. Having said that the road outside my house doesn’t exactly look like it’s going to be ‘passable’ any time soon (though I’ve just discovered we are now status orange so I think I might chance taking the car out later :)

444328.jpeg

444330.jpeg

By tomorrow it will all have thawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,513 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Been pelting down all day in Lucan. Temperature never got above 0.5c.
    Dropping again now so no thaw for the next while.
    All this heavy snow today with th driving winds is going to give is some monstrous drifting earlier. Easily the worst snow event I can remember since 82!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Can anyone please give an update on the snow in ranelagh.

My wife has been asked to go into work on a skeleton staff and giving a near impossible task despite been told she was off in the morning time. Bloody fuming I am.

2 inches at least have fell up the road in the last few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

TheBody wrote: »
    What are the main roads like in Maynooth?

Not great, but pass-ible in the centre when I walked in earlier.

Awful outside the town Id say, local estates totally impassible.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Eoin247 wrote: »
    They keep repeating on the news that people have cabin fever, and cant stay put much longer....

...Jesus christ it's been one day lads.

How would these people survive in an actual crisis?

We’ve had significant snow since Tuesday evening here and haven’t been able to leave the house since (apart from going outside to measure snow!). In rural Ireland you don’t have snow ploughs outside your door. We’ll be lucky if we can get out of here on Sunday so 5 days inside, some of which has been without power, is legitimate grounds for cabin fever I think! Though I take your point about the Dubs and other urban dwellers...

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

I can't understand how Waterford an Cork have been taken off red alert so early.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

this is beyond epic. coming down at a very fast rate

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

We’re now into 48 hours of straight snow in Clondalkin. As heavy now as at any stage (day time anyway) since the first flakes on Tuesday

It’s insane tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mafra

Has been snowing kilkenny/Carlow area constantly since at least 8am yesterday morning. It has been little tiny flakes all day here, but lots of it.
    It will be a shame to see it thaw when it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Can anyone please give an update on the snow in ranelagh.

My wife has been asked to go into work on a skeleton staff and giving a near impossible task despite been told she was off in the morning time. Bloody fuming I am.

2 inches at least have fell up the road in the last few hours.

Rathmines here. 12cm in back garden but main roads are gritted and a few cars on them

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

That's not song, it's birds screaming "feed us hoooomans"

We left bread outside yesterday and today I found crows' footprints straight in front of our door. Put out more seeds and bread, fortunately our little gob****es consider snow too disgusting to go outside so the birds are safe from the cats. I think the birds know the moment it gets warmer they are back to keeping a safe distance from us.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Sorted ..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

What's the N81 like heading north from Baltinglass, Blessington, Tallaght?

Going by local conditions in Tallaght, I'm gonna say impassable.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Vxlks

i just heard on TV3 that the places in a red level warning are expected heavier snowfalls later this evening into tonight...

What the heck!? it's meant to GET WORSE? ITS POURING IN D14 ALL DAY...

although please tell me its true i wanna have a ton of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭jonny_b

Mafra wrote: »
    Has been snowing kilkenny/Carlow area constantly since at least 8am yesterday morning. It has been little tiny flakes all day here, but lots of it.
    It will be a shame to see it thaw when it does.

Three inches in Carlow town that’s all we got. It’s still snowing but doesn’t seem to be accumulating. We missed the major event

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

leahyl wrote: »
    Anybody seen the reporter on sky news in Sallins - the place looks like the Antarctic!

It is ;)

Advertisement