Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

thebull85 wrote: »
    what forecast is this from?

Stop listening to these "new" accounts - been at it since this thread (original) started

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Annoying how I seem to live in a narrow corridor in south Cavan that is missing out on these showers again tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭south

never know, those showers at waterford now could move down to us

Clear sky in Waterford city at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Fabulous “blizzard” (almost afraid to use this word) in Sandyford tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

and hav to say thanks a mill to all the posters that were in the know and kept us up to date,much appreciated,some serious accurtate posts here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Bettystown getting nailed. All is forgiven Isle of Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Might sound strange but the snow in my back garden is starting to melt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Cliff's of Moher today.

Notice the icicles...

There was some nice snow drifts on the way down.....

Good night

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭MiaMaria

The other aspect is that the forecast for tomorrow is for full blizzard conditions.

There were some pictures earlier where people were calling them blizzard conditions in Dublin, but in all of those pictures, the visibility was still over 50 Mtrs. In a blizzard, the visibility can well become less than 5 mtrs, which means that if you stand at the back of a large transit van, you won't be able to see the front of it.

In a nutshell, it's not difficult to drive in those conditions, it's IMPOSSIBLE. So, there is a very real need to get as many vehicles off the road for the next period of time to reduce the accident risk, and dramatically reduce the number of calls to emergency services, as asking them to turn out to deal with road traffic accidents will be putting the responders at risk as well.

I was out earlier today, and as a result of gusts of wind not far from here, (Ashbourne), the visibility went from half a mile to almost nothing in the space of a few seconds, and the ONLY option was to stop until it cleared again. I was on minor roads, with a deep ditch full of water either side, so keeping going even at a crawl wasn't an option, it was not possible to see the edges of the road even looking out of the side of the vehicle.

The Forecast for the next 36 hours means that the fewer vehicles on the move, the safer it will be for all concerned.

This for me , is why the whole country is on red alert. I have never seen a blizzard and have no idea what is heading out way tomorrow,so this gives me an idea.so thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

Fabulous “blizzard” (almost afraid to use this word) in Sandyford tonight.

I'm glued to the window watching it here! Seems to be that graupel stuff though? Or at least it's being slow to cover areas cleared earlier like the car roof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

actaphobia wrote: »
    The maps a few pages earlier show little precipitation for Dublin

Is it game off

Not the ones I've been looking at. Besides the easterlies, the stuff from the south from about 4/5pm.

https://weather.us/model-charts/swisshd-eu/ireland/significant-weather/20180301-0900z.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I was thinking the same here too. Is the wind blowing it away rather than melting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

😆

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Thaw started here.

*joke :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Kamili wrote: »
    I was thinking the same here too. Is the wind blowing it away rather than melting it?

It's not windy though (Terenure)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

actaphobia wrote: »
    The maps a few pages earlier show little precipitation for Dublin

Is it game off

No. It's just a couple of models and some people are looking too closely at negative details imo. The bigger picture is still 100% game on for Dublin. It may transpire that this "dry" scenario plays out, but it's equally as likely that it will be worse than some of the "very snowy" model charts are predicting. It will probably pan out somewhere in between, which is still heavy snow with blizzards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Ten -5s at midnight but no -6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Sublimation and the wind blowing it around rather than melting maybe? its -3.0c outside...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

At 2355 28th Feb, I recorded my lowest temp of the winter -3.8C
    That is in a strong and gusty onshore easterly wind 5km from the coast, who would have thought.

Currently -3.4C and snow has stopped, moon and out and great cloudscapes around.
    I wouldnt be far off by saying in the last 24hrs, it has not snowed for all of 2 hrs here and that was in the lull this aft. Proper winter weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

temp of -5 in Dublin airport with gusts of 36 kts from the NE. That reading alone makes this cold spell remarkable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Weather station in Tramore at its lowest since set up,

Air Temp: -4.8c
    Wind Chill: -10.8c
    Apparent Temp: -11.0c
    Dew Point: -6.7c

443633.PNG

Never felt it this cold in my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

STB. wrote: »
    I have been following this weather model for the past few days. It has been fairly accurate predicting the spells of snow to the hour.

[/B]

Dear God, that makes it a non event in Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Wohoo!

Just read an email from my college ( GMIT ) that all campuses are closed tomorrow due to the red alter issued by the met office.

I think I'm right in thinking same applies to all 3rd Level colleges across the country.

Phew ! I had a CA tomorrow I couldn't 100% concentrate on because of all this mayhem.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

Red weather warning has already taken effect I know, but what time are conditions expected to worsen? Currently in Mayo (so shouldn't get the worst of the weather) and have a family member in hospital that ideally someone would get in to visit tomorrow before things get too bad. Does the 4pm kick off for the stormy conditions still stand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Air Temp: -5.1c

I was trapsing around the Cliff's of moher this evening.....it was cold but the husky couldn't get enough of it...

Coldest I experienced too....

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Discount everything you have seen so far... at about 7pm tomorrow, it will look like the end of the world. Stay safe. stay warm, stay fed and if you have elderly neighbours, check in on them...seriously, check in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Okay the weather is listening to my giveouts, very heavy here for last few mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Halpenny

Question : why is there a 4 hour gap between 2 Red Level Warnings tomorrow? Are things magically gonna cease being wintry between 12pm and 4pm then??

(I posted this earlier but it got swallowed up by the error 500 boards meltdown)

Edit: please ignore - I now see met eireann thought that was bizarre too and fixed it to an uninterrupted red warning...

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Air Temp: -4.8c

443633.PNG

Very impressive SC! so much for the sunny south east!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭bassy

Coming down here in north kilkenny and was 6 inches this morning not far off 10 inches now on lawn.

Advertisement