Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,488 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Very weak accumulations here in north coastal Dublin. Lots of tiny snow falling but nothing to show for it. Light dusting on the road.

The netweather radar seems to want to not move the heavier precipitation in the Irish Sea.

I’m in Glasnevin not a million miles away and white out....levels of snow getting worse this is armeggedon sryle snow fall

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Honestly regretting not doing a bit of panic buying myself, out of bread and even more concerningly alcohol stocks being depleted rapidly. Its starting to get serious here!
    Anyone know will regular flour do for making bread instead of "strong flour" (not joking!)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

tunguska wrote: »
    Been lashing snow all day here in D24 and doesnt seem to be letting up.
    Was anyone around for the snow in 1982? If so how does it compare to whats happening now?

I was around in 82, living in Dundrum. We weren't prepared at all. As far as I remember the forecast was for sleet in Dublin and the rest is history. The drifts were huge in 82 maybe bigger than today but very similar to where I am now in Ballycullen, D24 in the foothills. I do remember that in 82 the cold was prolonged for at least a week after and the winds were stronger. Please correct me if I'm wrong. There were also queues everywhere due to the fact that we were not given many warnings. Maybe that's the difference between both events.

I'm sure after all the data is collected some of the experts in here will make a comparison. In 82 winter was on our side which enabled a prolonged coldspell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Where exactly?

Here in Tallaght for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Heaviest snow since this whole snow event started in raheny. Phenomenal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Been sat watching cars try to get to the car park of the park, but little do they know there is about 2 foot of snow across the road after a stretch of having maybe 6 inches.. Cue every single one of them plowing straight into the deep snow and having to do the reverse of shame :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

mumo3 wrote: »
    Sweet baby jebus...its pelting in clondalkin and people never learn....I can see the nangor road, people driving on it, the civil defence where out earlier helping idiots who decided to take their BMW out

As i said earlier they all should be fined if help is required from the emergency services unless they can prove they are front line staff or it's a genuine emergency and by that i don't mean a run to the shops for some milk and fags.

Absolute weapons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Zerbini Blewitt

The M50 snow ploughing / clearing today was impressive.

5 ploughs worked in staggered relay. The lead plough was in lane 4 throwing the snow into lane 3. The plough in lane 3 was 20m behind and threw the snow into lane 2 etc.

Plus there are a surprising amount of snow ploughs available at all the airports. I think they have multi-use vehicles that can have a front plough attached just for snow events.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Heaviest snow of this whole event in Swords the last half hour...bucketing down.

I was very disappointed this morning but this is making up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I'd heard about having to walk on ditches because roads were covered but never thought I would experience it!

Amazing how a few KM further East made such a difference too. This is only 5km from Tullow:
    https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/969596415910531073

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

tunguska wrote: »
    Been lashing snow all day here in D24 and doesnt seem to be letting up.
    Was anyone around for the snow in 1982? If so how does it compare to whats happening now?
    For me its similar (never thought i would ever say that again but its not over yet) and I live 4kms from where I grew up close to coast. For others, prob worse or not close so depends on where u live as it has been sporadic in terms of snowfall distribution and intensity.

Snowing heavily for last hour and accumulating nicely.
    0.1C

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭jds0ur

Live stream from Swords Co.Dublin, really picking up again here

https://www.twitch.tv/jdsour

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Really coming down now in Dublin 16, heaviest of this event. -0.4c.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Listening to BBC Radio 6, they've slapped on JJ72s classic Snow.

f##k off BBC Radio 6

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

road_high wrote: »
    Will Kilkenny get any much more? Snow here in Kilkenny itself has been rubbish, envious of our neighbours in Wexford, Waterford Wicklow and Kildare. Seems to be much worse and more "quality" snow!
    Bit of a thaw on actually and slushy

I'm on the Carlow Kildare border & we'd feck all either.
    The shadow of the Wicklow mountains blocked all the good stuff.
    You can see the shield in place here: https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

Anyway, maybe we're better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Latest measurement from the centre of the back garden - 52cm and still increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Straffan1979

biblical snow in Kildare- snowing all day and still going; no way out til Sunday earliest - novelty wearing off now rapidly ; River Morrel - tributary of Liffey frozen -never seen before even in 82

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

@supercell

Regular flour is fine for soda bread, see eg
    http://www.cookingisfun.ie/how-make-irish-soda-bread

(To make buttermilk just add some lemon juice to normal milk)

Or an alternative is porridge bread if you have oats
    http://glenisk.com/recipes/porridge-bread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Went for a long walk around the lough area in Cork. Loads of people about. Good natured snowball fights breaking out amongst strangers everywhere.

End of world queues out the door and up the road in the offie on bandon road.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

Certainly the biggest snow I’ve ever seen. (Gorey)

8 years ago was impressive but this is considerably heavier

Kind of hope now we don’t have it for to long. I’ve been housebound for over 24 hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Supercell wrote: »
    Honestly regretting not doing a bit of panic buying myself, out of bread and even more concerningly alcohol stocks being depleted rapidly. Its starting to get serious here!
    Anyone know will regular flour do for making bread instead of "strong flour" (not joking!)

You’ll manage without bread for another day I’m sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

This is mental. Very heavy blizzard in Clontarf now and accumulating rapidly. This is the worst I've seen since Tuesday. The Met warnings are way off

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Thought it would be over by now myself when I stocked up (on Monday). If some of the predictions are true this might well become more frequent (this is two record-setting weather events in 5 months) so at least we'll know for the future.

Will certainly be increasing some prep supplies that don't expire and maybe keeping a slightly larger amount of bottled beverages in the house!

Unless you're on the coastal fringes like myself then there's no reason at this stage why anyone would want more snow I think. We would be happy with more but it's been a whiteout for 3 days at the same time.

In another day or two the inconvenience will start to outweigh the fun factor.

ON THAT NOTE: model consensus pretty much across the board is for this to start turning to rain later in the night with sleet&rain widespread over the south coast by 10am and up to the border by afternoon. The thaw will be gradual with temps only coming up to 2 or 4 degrees but rain will accelerate this rapidly - but will also lead to flooding. If you live in a flood prone place, you'd do no harm taking any and all preparations that are practical at the moment, given current travel restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Snowbie wrote: »
    For me its similar (never thought i would ever say that again but its not over yet) and I live 4kms from where I grew up close to coast. For others, prob worse or not close so depends on where u live as it has been sporadic in terms of snowfall distribution and intensity.

Snowing heavily for last hour and accumulating nicely.
    0.1C

I live in the same house now as 82 . It was colder in 82 but thawed quicker . The height of drifts now today is very similar to 82 but back then after day 2 we could don wellies and walk out . We are on day 3 now indoors and its pelting cold wet snow and howling cold wind making it impossible to even think about going out

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Grange, Dublin 13 today. I think I'm setting records now for my own area.

b6BQndQ.jpg

cBmLZYV.jpg

0UjkIPP.jpg

LXELjN3.jpg

l4DFPD4.jpg

• Administrators Posts: 53,848 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Snow heavist so far in D18 IMO.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

M50 looking pretty rough at the moment!

https://www.tiitraffic.ie/cams/

I have noticed all the 'get back to work' posters/naysayers seem to have disappeared this afternoon? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

R.F. wrote: »
    Certainly the biggest snow I’ve ever seen. (Gorey)

8 years ago was impressive but this is considerably heavier

Kind of hope now we don’t have it for to long. I’ve been housebound for over 24 hours

I'm the same. I'm heading over to the local shop, don't need anything but need to get out of the house big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Still coming down in Wicklow town.

In other news it's snowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,488 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Just got 50% worse in d11. Unreal I’ve never experienced this in my life

Advertisement