Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

@supercell

Regular flour is fine for soda bread, see eg
    http://www.cookingisfun.ie/how-make-irish-soda-bread

(To make buttermilk just add some lemon juice to normal milk)

Or an alternative is porridge bread if you have oats
    http://glenisk.com/recipes/porridge-bread

Thanks, cannot believe I'm asking for cooking advice on the weather forum, amazing times.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

What's going on????? I thought the worst was meant to be last night . Bucketing down big flakey snow all day in blackrock. No thaw. This is the worst its been all week as yesterdays "blizzard" was just wind and light snow?

I'm nearly out of food lads in the gaff. Beginning to panic now. What if the shops aren't going to open for days yet????

Then you get to know your neighbours. By force if necessary. Take no prisoners. It's you or them, and their bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Piling up in Santry :D

Beautiful snow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

It’s hasnt stopped for even a minute here all day in Smithfield d7.
    Constant and big flakes.
    Does seem to be a thaw going on. Cleared the path in the garden and it’s staying cleared for the most part

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Supercell wrote: »
    Thanks, cannot believe I'm asking for cooking advice on the weather forum, amazing times.

I can't believe you did not read the warning! :P

• Advertisement

Blizzard like conditions now. All thaw replaced at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Honestly regretting not doing a bit of panic buying myself, out of bread and even more concerningly alcohol stocks being depleted rapidly. Its starting to get serious here!
    Anyone know will regular flour do for making bread instead of "strong flour" (not joking!)

If you have eggs and milk, make pancakes! Or google yeast free quick bread.

I can't help you on the booze front sorry. Ration it!

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Conditions as bad as they have been all week in Cabra atm. Blizzard like, although the snow is quite fine. The car which had accumulated about five inches over the week, had mostly cleared due to weight and wind, is now white out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

So what's predicted for the evening /night in South east what levels ?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭uphillonly

Can anyone please give an update on the snow in ranelagh.

My wife has been asked to go into work on a skeleton staff and giving a near impossible task despite been told she was off in the morning time. Bloody fuming I am.

2 inches at least have fell up the road in the last few hours.

It's been snowing most of the day in nearby Dartry. Adding to what we already had. 30-50cm on the ground in places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

DOCARCH wrote: »
    M50 looking pretty rough at the moment!

https://www.tiitraffic.ie/cams/

I have noticed all the 'get back to work' posters/naysayers seem to have disappeared this afternoon? :rolleyes:

Mad to think those images are almost live, and they only cleared the M50 about an hour ago. It would be absolutely buried otherwise, not too unlike Vilain's ditch!

Starting to build up here now even right at the coast. Paths that I cleared and salted an hour ago beginning to go white. Lashing fine wet snow since 2pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Santry is the worst I've seen it this week. I'd cleared the front of ours earlier today and it's back covered and looks untouched.

Supposed to fly to London tomorrow for The Big Half on Sunday but that's not happening now.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Juppie

Getting heavy in Trim. It's replaced anything we lost in the brief thaw earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Blizzard (like?) in Dublin 5. Fairly strong winds and very heavy snow. Accumulating very nicely too. If this keeps up till 9am tomorrow I wouldn't be surprised to see the 1 metre forecast for some areas (very unlikely for here of course). 50cm in my garden on the pavement, closer to 60cm on the grass. Obviously, much less on the roads because of all the activity/blowing snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

RustyGate wrote: »
    Previous cold snap events were not accompanied by blanket shutdowns and earlier on in the week weather models were not nailed on with absolute certainty so it was not reasonable then to expect these shutdowns. I did try to stock up on Thursday morning before Emma but found everywhere shut. At the beginning of the week we were all scoffing at panic buyers, but it now seems panic buying was the thing to do. Note, I am NOT saying the current shutdown for Emma and aftermath is not justified, as the weather is obviously mental out there now - and I would also be concerned about a lot of business premises with flat roofs if the accumulations continue to mount up.

Ah but you see the ones who were scoffing at the panic buying were also the same ones who were saying that this would be a non event and that it was being overhyped.

I've been following the threads here very carefully, and the info provided by the likes of Kermit and MTC was always very clear that this would be a Tuesday to Friday snowfall for large parts of the country. I did an extra large shop last Friday with this in mind, and we're still good on supplies from that for another 2-3 days at least. I know if I was living in the middle of nowhere I would have bought enough for another week at least too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Heckler wrote: »
    Went for a long walk around the lough area in Cork. Loads of people about. Good natured snowball fights breaking out amongst strangers everywhere.

End of world queues out the door and up the road in the offie on bandon road.
    It was fabulous there today,everyone in great form ,it will be one of the best memories from this weather event for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Some pictures here from the Cork Snow that I took :) Definitely the most we have gotten for years here in Cork. Somebody must have found the snow shield and demolished it, however I have heard rumors that the city council are looking at purchasing another one :rolleyes: (I also rebuilt my snowman as best as I could after the idiots knocking them down last night..). City looks like a totally different place, very calm, looks very rural like too haha.

QacbCLE.jpg
    Av58mK1.jpg
    wYTTs6K.jpg
    xfmoF5H.jpg
    7RMcOLc.jpg
    kwVopEg.jpg
    g8zJY6D.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It's pelting it down in D7, been snowing lightly all day but it's really intensified now. Roofs which were clear of snow during the day are covered now again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

It will differ by location but I think for us this rivals 82..

Being <100m asl and beside the sea on the east coast, we very rarely get lying snow.

But since last night and throughout today it literally hasn't stopped and it's still coming heavier then ever..

It definitely beats 87 and 2010..

82 went on for a week though and we're not stocked for a week :eek:

Still, a pack rashers from the garage will do once supplies are getting through..

Off out for stroll now... Love it :D

Stay safe enjoy..

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Honestly regretting not doing a bit of panic buying myself, out of bread and even more concerningly alcohol stocks being depleted rapidly. Its starting to get serious here!
    Anyone know will regular flour do for making bread instead of "strong flour" (not joking!)

Yes, it's possible. Will be possibly slightly finer but no bother. Use half milk and half water and add some olive oil (or normal oil).
    Otherwise it's just a normal procedure, I would normally use 900g flour, about 600 ml liquid, 2 packets of yeast, salt and ground coriander (gives the bread a fantastic smell, it's apparently an old bakers' trick) and some sugar to activate the yeast. Knead all well together, for at least 10 minutes, let it rise, oven to 180 degrees, bake for 60 minutes. Knock on the bottom side of the bread, if it sounds hollow, it's ready. Brush with cold water, cover with a clean cloth and let it cool for a bit (if you can resist). The top is the best with some nice and cold Kerrygold. Watch it melt!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

DOCARCH wrote: »
    M50 looking pretty rough at the moment!

https://www.tiitraffic.ie/cams/

I have noticed all the 'get back to work' posters/naysayers seem to have disappeared this afternoon? :rolleyes:

They could be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dublinlady1513

Blizzard like conditions now. All thaw replaced at this stage.

What's happening Kermit I thought We were done. What do the models say? Can't find MTs latest update.. I'm in D.11

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Colser wrote: »
    It was fabulous there today,everyone in great form ,it will be one of the best memories from this weather event for me.

I have found that Cork people are ALWAYS very chatty and friendly.

My late sister lived in Cork and has a bench in her memory there at the Lough now. When we visit it from the Shmoke lots of people stop to chat and ask about her. It's very nice, if sad too.

Hope y'all survive in the Real Capital, it's fierce up here too.

Dublin this evening...

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Lightly snowing all day in Rush, but also thawing out all day.

Picked up intensity in the last hour though and it’s sticking!!

Covering the wet roads & paths!!

Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭john why

Really coming down in D15. Best snow I've seen all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

It's been snowing all day in D24, the amount of snow here is crazy. But it unfortunately looks like it might start to thaw tomorrow and Sunday because of the rain :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What's happening Kermit I thought We were done. What do the models say? Can't find MTs latest update.. I'm in D.11

D11 too, this is blowing my mind. Looks to be close to 1 ft of snow accumulations in some flat areas. No let up either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I'm on the Carlow Kildare border & we'd feck all either.
    The shadow of the Wicklow mountains blocked all the good stuff.
    You can see the shield in place here: https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

Anyway, maybe we're better off.

Yea must be what happened. Shadow of the Blackstairs mountains. Other side of them in wexford were apocalyptic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭dubal

WOW!

Just had a walk down to Rathfarnham Village, worst (best) snow of the week.

I'll post some pictures in a minute.

Dubal

Advertisement