Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

No end insight for tonight anyways. Its been none stop snow in Tallaght. I'm genuinely concerned about it now. Its already over a Meter in my estate on the roads.

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

http://meteoradar.co.uk/expected-rainfall

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

How deep is your snow? Is it like the ocean? What devotion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

This is mental. Very heavy blizzard in Clontarf now and accumulating rapidly. This is the worst I've seen since Tuesday. The Met warnings are way off

Dublin has been under red for 48 hours now and it's been further extended?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dublinlady1513

Strumms wrote: »
    D11 too, this is blowing my mind. Looks to be close to 1 ft of snow accumulations in some flat areas. No let up either.

We built a snowman in the garden about an hour ago, our footprints are nearly filled and poor Snowie is nearly unrecognizable

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Went from thaw here earlier to heavy snow all afternoon and it’s all landing again.

2u93444.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I have found that Cork people are ALWAYS very chatty and friendly.

My late sister lived in Cork and has a bench in her memory there at the Lough now. When we visit it from the Shmoke lots of people stop to chat and ask about her. It's very nice, if sad too.

Hope y'all survive in the Real Capital, it's fierce up here too.

Sorry to hear about your sister :( The lough really is a beautiful place sometimes.

Walking around today nearly everybody stopped for a chat, it is nice and sometimes weather events like this does bring people closer. Loads of people actually outside playing, along with loads of kids having fun outside playing in the snow, making snowmen rather then being stuck in school during a rare event / stuck inside on a screen :)

Snow is basically stopped here now, slightly thawing. There looks to be a big amount of snow heading for waterford which will hopefully in turn reach us!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

sdanseo wrote: »
    Thought it would be over by now myself when I stocked up (on Monday). If some of the predictions are true this might well become more frequent (this is two record-setting weather events in 5 months) so at least we'll know for the future.

Will certainly be increasing some prep supplies that don't expire and maybe keeping a slightly larger amount of bottled beverages in the house!

Unless you're on the coastal fringes like myself then there's no reason at this stage why anyone would want more snow I think. We would be happy with more but it's been a whiteout for 3 days at the same time.

In another day or two the inconvenience will start to outweigh the fun factor.

ON THAT NOTE: model consensus pretty much across the board is for this to start turning to rain later in the night with sleet&rain widespread over the south coast by 10am and up to the border by afternoon. The thaw will be gradual with temps only coming up to 2 or 4 degrees but rain will accelerate this rapidly - but will also lead to flooding. If you live in a flood prone place, you'd do no harm taking any and all preparations that are practical at the moment, given current travel restrictions.

Yeah, I'm regretting that I never picked up snow treads for the car now, I think I'll pick them up after this is over, even if I don't use them for another 8 years! I bought shoe cleats back in 2011 and I'm only using them finally this year, but I have no regrets, it's not like they expire!

That all said, having a young kid in the house has definitely reduced my tolerance got the duration of these snow events - he's too young to understand why he is stuck inside all week, and you're a bit more anxious about running out of milk, nappies, or other basics for them.

I really wouldn't mind a thaw tomorrow at all. Its been historic for me (I was born in 83) and we've lots of snow photos and videos to show him when he grows up, so I've got my money's worth!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

What's happening Kermit I thought We were done. What do the models say? Can't find MTs latest update.. I'm in D.11

This (the snow in Dublin at the moment) was always forecast...to last until Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Stopped in Cork (Douglas) now. Are we to get more?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭RustyGate

Predicting weather isn't an exact science. These things are constantly evolving and changing as the develop so its impossible to give exact details. It was perfectly reasonably to me to think parts of the country would get shut down given the severity of the warnings.

Shutting down is an entirely new strategy by the authorities, so yes you can say that retrospectively, but I'm afraid that wasn't entirely predictable back on Monday or Tuesday unless you were in a position to know something Joe Public didn't.
    Again, I reiterate I'm referring to the pre Emma period, no quibbles with the current shutdown, just that it started too early for people to finish making preparations for Emma and that caught people who hadn't participated in panic buying out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

It's relentless here in d16. The low border wall between me and the neighbor is now concealed.
    The snowman's hat is no longer visible.
    Thank God for a chest freezer though. But as others have said, running low on booze...big worry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    They could be working.

At least it gets them off here for a few hours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

Just wondering what are chances of driving to Dublin (Crumlin Children's Hospital) to be precise from Laois.
    Looking at webcams, it seems fairly ok as far as Naas. 2 nurses are trying get from Clondalkin to work in ICU in Children's hospital. They have exhausted every posibility at this stage and now are talking about walking which takes hour & half in good weather. I'm tempted to see about driving up to give them a lift. Any suggestions would be greatfully accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,573 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Still snowing in Tramore in Waterford, though very fine at the moment. I don't think it has stopped for about 36 hours. Very variable depth, but there appears to be about 6 inches on the road with much greater amounts in the gardens where it has drifted and is over garden walls in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Greatest snow event in Irish history...incredible stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

will soon reach depths reached in 2010 if it keeps up for another few hours. Dalkey area

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

March 2018 has now surpassed December 2010 for me in D14 anyway

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Colibri wrote: »

I'd say Cork/the south coast is nearly done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

We built a snowman in the garden about an hour ago, our footprints are nearly filled and poor Snowie is nearly unrecognizable

Same in our neighbors ;)

Ok, getting even worse and wind speed increasing !

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Colibri wrote: »

Still snowing here in Kinsale. I think the south coast will continue to have precipitation throughout the evening and night so you should get some snow/sleet too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Did I just see lightening in Cabra?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Shovelled out 4ft of snow from the garden path just over an hour ago. There about 2ft there now

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

Any idea if dublin bus will be back operating tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I'd say Cork/the south coast is nearly done now.

I respectfully disagree. Cork city will get precipitation alright but it might not be snow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Jomcc wrote: »
    Just wondering what are chances of driving to Dublin (Crumlin Children's Hospital) to be precise from Laois.
    Looking at webcams, it seems fairly ok as far as Naas. 2 nurses are trying get from Clondalkin to work in ICU in Children's hospital. They have exhausted every posibility at this stage and now are talking about walking which takes hour & half in good weather. I'm tempted to see about driving up to give them a lift. Any suggestions would be greatfully accepted.

I’d ring the clondalkin Garda station and see is the army about with a jeep that could get them in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

Malahide getting hammered at the moment and forecast to last all night :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭glightning

Any thoughts on whether this precip will get into SE NI this evening? (and if so, how far). Seems to be creeping up ever closer. Feeling left out today despite getting a good dumping yesterday and having 2ft drifts today. Problem here is that the strong winds have left lots of patches without snow cover now, yet other patches have 12 to 24 inches. Would love the stuff coming up the east coast to drop of few cms on us to give a full cover again!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dublinlady1513

DOCARCH wrote: »
    This (the snow in Dublin at the moment) was always forecast...to last until Saturday morning.

Yes I know it was but I thought it had changed. MTs post very early this morning basically said how it is now is how it will stay, was really calm when I read it so thought we would have light showers but its blizzard like piling up very heavy snow in D.11 now so has taken me aback

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Super Severe Weather Warning: Wexford & Wicklow

A lot more snow coming.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Strumms wrote: »
    Just got 50% worse in d11. Unreal I’ve never experienced this in my life

in D11 too, madness altogether. public transport will be off again tomorrow.

Advertisement