Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Creative83 wrote: »
    Malahide getting hammered at the moment and forecast to last all night :eek:

The snow or you?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Any idea if dublin bus will be back operating tomorrow?

If it is running it will be seriously curtailed. Local roads in Dublin 16 are generally terrible and impassible for a bus.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I’d ring the clondalkin Garda station and see is the army about with a jeep that could get them in?

+1 I was going to suggest that, or civil defence may be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I'd swear there is a thaw at the moment here but there are some ominous clouds overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Some pictures here from the Cork Snow that I took :) Definitely the most we have gotten for years here in Cork. Somebody must have found the snow shield and demolished it, however I have heard rumors that the city council are looking at purchasing another one :rolleyes: (I also rebuilt my snowman as best as I could after the idiots knocking them down last night..). City looks like a totally different place, very calm, looks very rural like too haha.

Thanks for the pics right around the corner from me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Still snowing here in south Kilkenny, it hasn’t stopped all day. We’re closed off from the rest of the world :D

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

I’d ring the clondalkin Garda station and see is the army about with a jeep that could get them in?
    Thanks for that. I actually suggested that. Hopefully she will do so. Doesn't want to be bothering them:rolleyes: I think it's worth a shot. If they can help, I've no doubt they will. Walking is just not an option in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Administrators Posts: 53,847 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Any idea if dublin bus will be back operating tomorrow?
    They said they planned to be back tomorrow but would reassess in the morning.

Doubt there'll be anything more than a handful of buses on, if even that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭spookwoman

looksee wrote: »
    Still snowing in Tramore in Waterford, though very fine at the moment. I don't think it has stopped for about 36 hours. Very variable depth, but there appears to be about 6 inches on the road with much greater amounts in the gardens where it has drifted and is over garden walls in places.
    its up to people knees here in waterford on our street and like you fine snow still falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

Vudgie wrote: »
    If it is running it will be seriously curtailed. Local roads in Dublin 16 are generally terrible and impassible for a bus.

Yeah I don't think they will be able to run, their last update from 3 hours ago says they most likely will be running. But I'm guessing they will announce later tonight that it's cancelled tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Grange, Dublin 13 today. I think I'm setting records now for my own area.

Stunning pics Syran.

I think it would be an idea to set up a thread dedicated solely to the fantastic pics posted on this one, because this thread is moving way to fast and the pics are likely to be lost forever!

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Natibaby

Anyone considering driving in south Dublin, don't unless you have four wheel drive. Just back from walking the dog in Ballycullen, cars coming to a stop in front of me and loads abandoned on the road heading towards Firhouse exit on M50. Visibility is very poor. Most estates are now completely snowed in, we had 29cm this morning, a further 10 cm has fallen on what was cleared, drifts are significant in places now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Autosport wrote: »
    Still snowing here in south Kilkenny, it hasn’t stopped all day. We’re closed off from the rest of the world :D

Whereabouts? North of the county not as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Conditions deteriorating even more (in a good way). Visibility lower now in raheny, stepped out and snow pummeling the face!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

snow as stopped in cork city :(:(:(

i'm not ready for it to go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭appledrop

Jomcc wrote: »
    Just wondering what are chances of driving to Dublin (Crumlin Children's Hospital) to be precise from Laois.
    Looking at webcams, it seems fairly ok as far as Naas. 2 nurses are trying get from Clondalkin to work in ICU in Children's hospital. They have exhausted every posibility at this stage and now are talking about walking which takes hour & half in good weather. I'm tempted to see about driving up to give them a lift. Any suggestions would be greatfully accepted.

Did they put a request out on public media? They are not too far from hospital if someone had a land rover or tractor. Would the army not bring them they are essential staff. I don't think you'd have a hope getting from Laois. Weather very nasty now in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,573 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes I think I was a bit conservative with the 6 inches, my daughter went out earlier and she said it was really too deep to walk. I aint going nowhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Snow seems to be heavier than ever this afternoon in D11. The temperature's dropping again too - it's gone sub-zero again after having been positive since morning. It's now -0.2/-1.8C. There's 18cm of snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Why is the TV3 "mid west" correspondent in Kilkenny ffs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Heaviest snow of this spell, much heavier than the Blizzard last night.
    Low visiblitiies and gusty winds accumulating quickly. Drifts much higher than earlier.

0.1C
    Dp -0.8C

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

revelman wrote: »
    I respectfully disagree. Cork city will get precipitation alright but it might not be snow!

The front seem to be disintegrating over a lot of Cork. I don't expect anything too heavy from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Not surprised to hear of nurses stranded in Clondalkin. Peamount Hospital as also appealed for help getting their staff in from Finstown Hotel. Says the defence forces can't get to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Finally stopped snowing in South Kilkenny!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,841 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Stunning pics Syran.

I think it would be an idea to set up a thread dedicated solely to the fantastic pics posted on this one, because this thread is moving way to fast and the pics are likely to be lost forever!

There is a weather picture forum already for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I was sitting earlier looking out at all my neighbours wearing themselves out for hours clearing and shovelling snow off their driveways...not even 3 hours later and all of it is completely buried again.

I seriously wonder how people are so bad at understanding forecasts...or maybe they did understand but just wanted away from their husbands or wives for a couple of hours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Creative83 wrote: »
    Malahide getting hammered at the moment and forecast to last all night :eek:

Once temps drop after dark expect the precip to get a bit more snow like.

Currently visibility at Dublin Airport is as low as 700m. Complicated 1700Z TAFs decoded below for Dublin and Cork.
    TAF: EIDW 021700Z
    0218/0318 08028G38KT 3000 -SN SCT008 BKN020 - next 24hrs light snow generally (exceptions below)
    TEMPO 0218/0303 0800 SN BLSN OVC002 - 1800-0300 moderate snow, blowing snow, visibility 800m (nearly as bad as last night)
    TEMPO 0218/0221 09033G43KT -1800-2100 wind gusting to 43kts
    BECMG 0221/0223 09022G35KT - 2100-2300 wind gusting to 35kts
    BECMG 0303/0305 9999 NSW - 0300-0500 no significant weather
    TEMPO 0303/0312 4000 -SNRA BKN009 - 0300-1200 light sleet (more snow than rain)
    BECMG 0306/0309 10018G28KT - 0600-0900 wind gusting to 28kts

For some it may be difficult to discern tonight from last night. Still a red warning although metoeroligically not a blizzard, hence the stay indoors warning not in place. Visibility while only 800m for a time would still be 400% better than at the worst point last night.
    EICK 021700Z
    0218/0318 05015KT 2000 -SN SCT003 BKN005 - next 24hrs light snow generally (exceptions below)
    TEMPO 0218/0224 1000 SNRA BKN003 - 1800-2400 Sleet (more snow than rain)
    TEMPO 0300/0305 9999 NSW 0000-0500 no significant weather
    BECMG 0305/0307 10017KT 9999 NSW BKN015 - as above lower cloudbase
    TEMPO 0306/0309 11022G32KT 3000 -RASN BKN010 - 0600-0900 Sleet (more rain than snow)
    BECMG 0308/0311 11014KT - 0800-1100 winds 14kts
    TEMPO 0309/0318 4000 -RA BKN010 - 0900-1800 tomorrow light rain

if this verifies, rebels should anticipate perhaps a sligtly faster thaw than Gerry suggested. Cork is at 500ft above the city so temps where most people live will be even higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

People need to have a bit more cop on. We were walking in Cork City and a car skidded behind us nearly wiping us out! It was on a very narrow road without pedestrian pavements and we were not expecting any cars.

It's not suitable for driving. Please have some sense as there are a lot of walkers about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    snow as stopped in cork city :(:(:(

i'm not ready for it to go

Seeing a very gradual thaw in Cork. (Lough) More path visible if only by an inch or two. Sorry !

Advertisement