Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Madness. I mean there is still a lot of snow on the ground in cork city. And it's gotten noticeable colder in cork city in the last half an hour. I know it's meant to change tomorrow but there has been a lot of snow compacted on roads in my estate. It was slippy earlier.

We still have 25cm of snow here on the ground (with drifts of several feet) in rural Cork. It has also snowed without a break since 8am this morning though this does not seem to have affected the overall accumulation meaning that there is some thaw going on. Our country lane is impassable. Even if this thaw picks up pace and we get rain tonight instead of snow, I don’t see how we get out of here until Sunday at the earliest. Btw, there is a big blob of precipitation currently nearing the Cork coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

mangobob wrote: »
    I dont know about other folks, but here in my part of D16 this absolutely destroys 2010. Its frankly incredible. I am as excited as anyone else by snow. I have been delirious with excitement for the last few days but I honestly wouldn't mind if it stops now. Its starting to get a bit worrying.

If we have another night like last night my area will be cut off

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Wet claggy snowfall snarling things up here near Clonee worse than at anytime since the start on Tuesday night. Its like a sticky sugar icing on top of 60cms of light sponge. Drifts exceeding 2 meters on the roads heading out into the countryside.

Anywhere having overhead power infrastructure now needs to be vigilant, powerlines and tree boughs will be under huge load as the adhesive snow freezes after dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

If we have another night like last night my area will be cut off

Same here, but my area is Suburban Tallaght. Its nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

kittyn wrote: »
    I'm in two minds ...... Serious cabin fever at the moment but love the snow lol

You?

I am sad it will end, but it has to happen at some point, and i don't want to see people trapped in their homes, particularly if it's elderly people. It's becoming that serious now. I just hope Sryan is right that we might not have to wait that long for something even half as good as that, because i think we won't see the likes of this again in our life time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The sky is lilac..must be some effect the snow is having. looks stunning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Have we surpassed 82 I wonder? I remember the blizzard of 82 and going out and about earlier today and looking at the amount of snow that has fallen here in North Tipperary I'm sure it has broken some records.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Still snowing in West Clare, no let up since 2pm yesterday. A slight thaw had begun here today as the temperature slowly reached a balmy 0.5c, however sticking again to wet surfaces as the temperature is dropping again (currently 0.1c).

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Bucketing down in East Cork again and sticking.

Took a walk up a hill nearby here in Ladysbridge and found these amazing scenes. This is two miles from the coast!

Some of the drifts against the hedges were 12-14ft high....

dblfdh.jpg

2mzb7yg.jpg

23ix8hy.jpg

Do you think Paschal might give County Cork (and not just the city) a mention on the 6 one news?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

m17 wrote: »
    Newbridge kildare 02/03/18
    IMAG11010_zpsqgsk92e0.jpeg

Dammit, now I want a coconut cream but all the shops are shut

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

revelman wrote: »
    Do you think Paschal might give County Cork a mention on the 6 one news?

Paschal more interested in mentioning county kerry than county cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Claire6

A lot of precipitation looks stalled just off the east coast still? A lot more to come I reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭TriFirst

yermandan wrote: »
    My 65 year-old Da said this is way worse than 1982

I'd probably disagree, in 82 the bad weather resulted in 5 deaths, 100,000 people lost power and the schools were closed for an extra week after the christmas holidays, it was a 10 day weather event.

Have to laugh at the poster on here earlier that said Dublin should be business as normal today and the red warning was a joke.

It's absolutely lethal out there, roads are worse than treacherous. They are not passable in parts.

Without a red warning, there surely would have been deaths, injuries and chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

revelman wrote: »
    Do you think Paschal might give County Cork (and not just the city) a mention on the 6 one news?

Do you honestly care if your county gets mentioned on the news? Is it that important?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

I don't know if it's the snow brightening up the place but I really have noticed a great stretch in the evenings altogether these past couple of days :)

Same here, but my area is Suburban Tallaght. Its nuts.

I'm over in Newcastle

Rathcoole and Saggart are as bad

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MaccaTacca

Calling it now. Irish rail and Dublin Bus will not be operating tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,947 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Still piling up in Bray, non stop since this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Drove a short distance around North County Dublin this evening. While it looked as though things had abated from the house during the day, the roads were far worse than I thought they would be and far worse than they were yesterday. It's still snowing heavily much more so that this time yesterday. I'm not so sure we're through the worst of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭obriener2054

News and videos of LIDL citywest being looted... what the hell is wrong with people

• Registered Users Posts: 12,179 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

MaccaTacca wrote: »

I agree. Todays downpours put paid to that.

Looks like air travel will be gone as well

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭dubguy45

The weather now in D14 is worse than last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,947 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

MaccaTacca wrote: »
    The DART line might be closed in Blackrock anyway, it was underwater for a fair stretch:

https://twitter.com/snastablasta/status/969544968229531648?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2Fvbulletin%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D2057846496%26page%3D431

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Same stuff falling as last night caking everything - trees and electricity lines in ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Its actually gotten even heavier here in Kildare with huge new accumulations, my car is almost totally encased in snow now and drifts are getting bigger and bigger. I'm in disbelief at this stage, even with all the amazing charts I wasn't expecting anything close to this much snow

tom1ie wrote: »
    Do you honestly care if your county gets mentioned on the news? Is it that important?

Well we have lots of elderly people living in our vicinity whose only access to what is going on is through RTE which they follow faithfully. We’ve had over 1,500 homes without power in my area, accidents, roads impassable, and the heaviest snow for this particular area since 1982. There are tens of thousands of people affected in this area. So far, the national broadcaster hasn’t mentioned any of this and we are watching 5 minute reports from County Louth where significantly less snow seems to have fallen. I don’t think it is unreasonable to raise this query about Paschal’s reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Village in East Clare and we're cut off... Only road is a mountain road which is impassable....
    Hasn't stopped snowing since 8am.... Drifting up to 5ft in places, fallen snow is up to the top of my boots now....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

endacl wrote: »
    Packing for a move to Monasterevin!

Don't forget your shovel!

Advertisement