Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Looks like air travel will be gone as well

Where you hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

ixus wrote: »
    I don't understand why people are letting their vehicles and driveways become encased in snow. (I'm in North Kildare too). It is going to be a nightmare to shift compacted, frozen snow. I've shifted it every day even though I have no intention of going anywhere (couldn't if I tried).

Same here. Though another poster was laughing at people clearing their drives.

I've no intention of moving the car but if I absolutely need to at least I can. Waiting for a thaw seems folly.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

North county Dublin including coastal areas doing very well out of this phase. From a thaw earlier we're back to last nights levels and still snowing and radar looking good

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Keelin confirms that the 'East Coast' means Dublin really as far as the NECC is concerned. I knew it. I knew it.

I thought she said the “south east really means the Dublin area, doesn’t it” - which had me slightly confused

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ravage1616 wrote: »

what else can you expect from a pig but a grunt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

ixus wrote: »
    Well covered here (north kildare) with dry powder again after similar.

Dublin 15 here. Covered again. Very windy. Falling as rain but freezing again. At least another inch in last three hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrMischief

Sutton , Dublin 13 had a decent thaw today. But after a couple of hours of driving light snow there’s a good 3 to 4cm on the ground. Worst it’s been all week here. Just back from Howth and roads starting to become very dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The grains accumulate really fast especially when they are blown against a surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭Sarn

Naos wrote: »
    Where you hear that?

Some flights already cancelled from Dublin airport tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

MrMischief wrote: »
    Sutton , Dublin 13 had a decent thaw today. But after a couple of hours of driving light snow there’s a good 3 to 4cm on the ground. Worst it’s been all week here. Just back from Howth and roads starting to become very dodgy.

Dodgy because of the snowfall or temperature dropping which it's doing in cork.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Serious surprise here, Ashbourne SE Meath. Had to head out for a while around 1500, and at that time, the roads in the town were not an issue, the side roads were marginal depending how many people had been out before me, and it had been very light snow most of the day.

Outside the town was a different story, the (old) N2 south of Ashbourne towards 9 mile Stone was one and a half lanes, with significant banks on the side of the road where earlier overnight drifts had been cleared, but the wind was still blowing powder snow off the fields and on to the road. The minor roads to Kilbride from Ashbourne and Ratoath were impassable, due to significant drifts about 4 Ft deep that extended for some distance, so it wasn't possible to get to Kilbride today.

Since 1600, things have changed, we were clearly right on the edge of the snow, in that it was very light, but over the last couple of hours, the quantity of snow falling has increased considerably, I've just looked out of the back door, and the footprints I left when I came in have now been refilled, and the snow that was in place has been topped up again.

Looking at the weather radar, I wonder how soon this is going to stop, there looks to be a very long streamer of snow cloud all the way back across the UK that's heading for this area, with the speed that it's moving at, I am wondering if there will still be snow falling until mid day tomorrow, possibly even later.

That sentiment is borne out by the recent announcement from both Aer Lingus and Ryanair that their programmes for tomorrow are disrupted, with a significant number of cancellations up until 1100 tomorrow. That may be because they are anticipating that DAA may be struggling to clear the runways etc because of the overnight snow, but I have to wonder if this is going to last a lot longer than we thought it was.

It could be an "interesting" weekend.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Still coming down and have basically doubled my snow cover. Intensity lighter now. Hoping to squeeze snother few inches out of this beast. Dalkey

I can't post the video as I'm on my phone but some gob****e decided to go for a swim! And a passer by had to try and help him out. A swim of all things this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

More snowfall in D4 than yesterday. Still tonight to go, how will the thaw go tomorrow??

Beverly Hills, California

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Surely won't be thawed by Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

We made it!! Finally a sense that the snowfall is really done but it's starting to get seriously cold now!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

wakka12 wrote: »
    The sky is lilac..must be some effect the snow is having. looks stunning

It is. Clouds are lilac and the sky is a deep purply blue. Picture really doesn't do it justice at all, but this is the best I could get:

zUS5FIM.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I can't post the video as I'm on my phone but some gob****e decided to go for a swim! And a passer by had to try and help him out. A swim of all things this week.

Woman today

https://independent.bbvms.com/view/embed/2911425.html

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

More snowfall in D4 than yesterday. Still tonight to go, how will the thaw go tomorrow??
    Could see it being put off until Sunday myself.

• Advertisement

Woman today

https://independent.bbvms.com/view/embed/2911425.html
    Thanks. Why did she think going swimming was a good idea though I'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Surely won't be thawed by Monday?

Based on charts and forecast most areas may well be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Is that the eegit who was on the news? Selfish b**ch could have dragged someone else into the mess she was in. She's lucky to be alive. What a thoughtless act, it really baffled me.

Beverly Hills, California

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Was that the one at the Forty Foot? Saw it on the RTE News tracker. Some thick cnut to be doing that. He might have increased the countries average intelligent if he drowned.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Seems to be calming down in a lot of areas now.

Was that the one at the Forty Foot? Saw it on the RTE News tracker. Some thick cnut to be doing that. He might have increased the countries average intelligent if he drowned.
    I've no idea where it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Set off for a 24hr shift this morning. Usual time is 20 minutes from monasterevin to athy turned into a 2hr + drive this morning. Road to Athy was closed so had to go up the motorway through to the naas exit then back down the motorway and took the kilcullen exit to about 6 miles the far side of Athy. White knuckle driving the whole way. Athy seem to have gotten off light enough. Hopefully I'll have someone coming in tomorrow to let me off

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

P3024732c.jpg

Could you nip down the road and get a loaf of bread please, we're nearly out - thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

For those who didn't believe me that Storm Emma wasn't amounting to much accumulation near Bray Seafront on Thursday/Friday despite 24 hours of non stop heavy 'Snow'.

Not my Video btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Thanks. Why did she think going swimming was a good idea though I'll never know.

Cause she's a selfish c*nt

Advertisement