Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭policy75

I think we should start measuring the severity of weather events by how many boards.ie threads they spawn due to the 10K post limit. Will the 2018 snow become a three-threader event?
    Cant see this ending anytime soon so most likely we will go to a 3 threader and beyond. Question i have, where is the jetstream these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Holy Duck

Big thaw today in Rush, slushy mess, cleared car and paths, everything covered again now, snowing all evening, heaviest of the week so far.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

A few little sprinkles in South Kilkenny again but nothing mad. A slight thaw started earlier but it's getting mega cold again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

policy75 wrote: »
    Cant see this ending anytime soon so most likely we will go to a 3 threader and beyond. Question i have, where is the jetstream these days?

Some guy in Hawaii pressed the wrong button and turned it off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Sunday mass has been cancelled in ny mother's parish! It's now worse than 1982, 1963 and 1947 she says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭noisenotmusic

I'd imagine most of Dublin will be on lockdown again tomorrow, there's no way the Dart & Luas will be running before mid to late afternoon at the earliest given the flooding and how much of the tracks need to be cleared. DB might have a skeleton service running but anyone hoping to get to work before 12 might be stuck again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭tscul32

In Swords, football that was half covered last night has now disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Holy Duck wrote: »
    Big thaw today in Rush, slushy mess, cleared car and paths, everything covered again now, snowing all evening, heaviest of the week so far.....
    Same here in Donabate. The weather now is far worse than last night. I'm expecting a mess here come tomorrow morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I might be wrong but I think this is our 4th thread?
    Back on topic, heavy snow in Dublin 5 with near whiteout conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

revelman wrote: »
    If, as I think we are, we are a truly forward thinking and innovative nation we should use this event as an opportunity to start preparing for the Winter Olympics in 4 years time. Maybe this guy can get a medal.

Looks like yer man just continued on home :D

• Advertisement

If, as I think we are, we are a truly forward thinking and innovative nation we should use this event as an opportunity to start preparing for the Winter Olympics in 4 years time. Maybe this guy can get a medal.

I wonder how long it took him to get back to the start. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Sunday mass has been cancelled in ny mother's parish! It's now worse than 1982, 1963 and 1947 she says.

I hope she doesn't lose power and can't watch it on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Should we expect much snow tonight in North Cork lads and ladies?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I think we should start measuring the severity of weather events by how many boards.ie threads they spawn due to the 10K post limit. Will the 2018 snow become a three-threader event?
    Not sure about that...this event does involve a particular town on the east coast you know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

About 30cm of laying snow here currently, quite impressive for 1km from the coast.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

irishfeen wrote: »

Looks a good chance what with Hirlam and Met Eireann updates per technical thread and of course MT.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Can confirm that snow is also accumulating here on the south Cork coast. So much for being able to get out of the driveway tomorrow...

It is absolutely bucketing it down now - as heavy as anything we have had over the last 3 days. But bizarrely it does not seem to be wet snow anymore but drier and more powedery?!?! Perhaps the experts have a explanation for this - my brain hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭thomasj

thebull85 wrote: »
    Dublin Bus need to get their act together and make a definitive call on tomorrow.
    Dublin Bus need to get their act together and make a definitive call on tomorrow.

It's not that easy. We're promised more snow tonight in the Region RED area than we had last night.
    we had sh1t loads of snow last night.

And Irish rail will not now run services until after noon tomorrow at the earliest .

Understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭thomasj

It's not that easy. We're promised more snow tonight in the Region RED area than we had last night.
    we had sh1t loads of snow last night.

And Irish rail will not now run services until after noon tomorrow at the earliest .

Understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Videos popping up of stolen tipper and a crowd with kids and all in tow from a certain Dublin suburb that doesn't like Joan Burton looting beer out of a Lidl, just because they can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

Same here in Donabate. The weather now is far worse than last night. I'm expecting a mess here come tomorrow morning

Same in lusk.. Looks like proper snow now instead of fine powdery stuff we had till now.. Good snowman building snow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Snow is pretty heavy now in cork city. Did somebody here say it's looking like it's gonna stay as snow overnight now?? If so that's interesting, more delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

sdanseo wrote: »
    Videos popping up of stolen tipper and a crowd with kids and all in tow from a certain Dublin suburb that doesn't like Joan Burton looting beer out of a Lidl, just because they can.

https://twitter.com/wrecked_aingeal/status/969639480129966080?s=19

Ahh but judge it was just a bit of fun

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

irishfeen wrote: »

Kanturk area yes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭obi604

So has the storm passed now ?
    Or still due more ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Out of interest what’s your BER rating. I’ve a fairly new build (5 years), a B3 rating and gotta say I’m delighted with the heat in the house. I was expecting the wife to have GFCH on constantly but we’ve only had it on every 4-5 hours for a hour and we’re good

Don't know tbh. Renovated Victorian 2500sqft done through the Jan 2010 Winter event and put to the test(not a BER Test :D ) in Nov/Dec 2010. Do not remember it being this cold in the attic Bedroom back then. Think its the Storm force winds causing the issue this time round. I'm already aware that the builder made some fundamental mistakes with the new insulation and Wooden Sash Window installs but he was bust soon after our job because of the recession and we had no recourse. Problem was that with no major cold weather events like this since, I put rectification of the issues on the long finger for financial reasons.

In a normal winter though, the house is great and like yourself we would simply boost the heating for an hour or two every 4 or 5 hours which would be plenty. 16 of our 17 windows have a Southern or Western aspect (most Southern) and we get great solar gain.

That said, In the grand scheme of things having to run the heating 24 hours a day for a few days and wear pyjama's in one of the bedrooms for a few days during a once or twice a decade extreme cold weather event would still come out massively ahead in terms of a cost benefit analysis as compared to ripping out improperly fitted insulation and windows and installing air tightness membranes everywhere and replastering the whole house again etc.

However, there are several areas where I can DIY it for not much cost and drastically cut down the heat loss. Will never be airtight or have a great BER rating though. I guess this event will rid me of my complacency though and get me to pull the finger out and finally get around to doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Claire6

Will Cork get it worse tonight than last night, can anyone tell me?

Living on southside right by Cork Harbour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Starting to become clear now that the transport situation will not improve one bit by tomorrow. Heavy snow across the South and East and here in Cork snowing away with the ground glistening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I know that you're probably sick and tired of seeing Grange, but sorry I just love taking weather pics! :)

https://twitter.com/BruenSryan/status/969668453199171585

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

obi604 wrote: »
    So has the storm passed now ?
    Or still due more ?

Emmas gonna be with us all night

Advertisement