Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭giggsirish

Whats with the Snow Shield over Kildare? Wind directions and Wicklow Mountains. Is wind direction due to shift?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 farseaboutace

jamo2oo9 - Dublin Bus are now saying start at 12. We are inaccessible but she can walk to the N4 and try to pick up a bus to town, and then a bus out again. That's what she will do, but we were hoping for something earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Dublin Bus will not be able to operate in the morning judging by conditions here on the northside at the moment. The roads are caked in new layers of snow and ice.

They have announced resumption from 12pm tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Snow started up again in Limerick city, we had a break for about two hours. Hoping the short range forecast proves out and we get another seven hours snow to replace the thawed snow. Just need one more snowman session in the morning before the final melt tomorrow!

Would only be about half a foot in the morning including the current lying snow if intensity is the same as the past 24 hrs, i.e. slow and steady.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

The news reported that Dublin bus will not be running until at least noon.

• Advertisement

It really seems that Kildare are getting the worst of it.

I just put the dog out for a pee - he looked at me as though I was completely mad as he sank into a foot of fresh stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

thebiglad wrote: »
    They have announced resumption from 12pm tomorrow.

Not sure that will be possible either :/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

giggsirish wrote: »
    Whats with the Snow Shield over Kildare? Wind directions and Wicklow Mountains. Is wind direction due to shift?

Do ye really want more snow there

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

So, did the blizzards materialise last night? I went to bed at 12 and didn't hear any winds during the night. Plenty snow cover here today though.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

The precipitation is Dublin is very misleading.

It seems light ice particles but every time I look out it's like another cm or two has been added. We have exceeded our depths in this location now for the event.

Same in Clonmel. Doesn't look like much, but it gets so heavy at times you can hear it hitting the window like normal light rain. Looks like it's added about a cm over the past hour.

• Advertisement

There is absolutely zero chance dublin bus or luas will be able to operate until sunday Id say. Dunno why they haven't just come out and said it yet

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Not sure that will be possible either :/

No way. Maybe, maybe some radial routes on main corridors, but 70-80% of routes will still be impassable for the most of the day

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    So, did the blizzards materialise last night? I went to bed at 12 and didn't hear any winds during the night. Plenty snow cover here today though.

Didn't really seem to hit some south western and midland counties as hard as it was supposed to and dublin got a bit less snow than the metre predicted but still a lot ,Wexford and wicklow and cork and waterford I think were all snowed under by it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

igCorcaigh wrote: »

no, they said 90kmph gusts in Cork City on the news but none of that got here.. it just lightly snowed till about 6/7am really when it got heavier also said the roads totally thawed today and that cork was always forecast to stay as snow yet the sleet has been delayed about 3 times.

I don't believe the trains will run at all tomorrow.

Have you seen the Irish Rail twitter feed? Hazelhatch station platforms are invisible. I wandered up to our local station and realised you could walk off the platform onto the track and wouldn't notice; the snowdrift has filled the gap. I've never seen anything like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

No quick escape from the cold air

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Its amazing to see the images on RTÉ news, its as if Im watching news from a foreign country because there is not so much as a snowflake here in SW Donegal tonight, surely this must be up there with the all-time great snow events in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

LEIN wrote: »
    Snow has gone light here.

I had a full on 24 hours of moderate to heavy snow.

I may not see an event like this again.....

We too had more than 24 hours of falling snow. Mad. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Stheno wrote: »
    Stoppef snowing in swords

Still snowing up near the Rathbeale Rd / Glen Ellen

igCorcaigh - we had howling gales and sideways snow last night. Some was snow blown off roofs, and our heavy wooden garden furniture ended up against the fence so the wind must have been strong.

Does anyone have a definitive "snow stopping" time yet?

yr weather is saying rain by 6 am but I'm sceptic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Jollyman

Went for a walk earlier snow drift of up to 10ft deep in places when do we think this might thaw? I’m thinking we could be house bound until Monday. The below pics are the main access road in and out of Ardmore Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

No weather report from Casement for the past two hours now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Just in from a walk in Cork City South side.

Snowing consistently. There must have been a little thaw earlier because there was water lying in patches. The snow is well over a foot in some estate roads.

City centre open for business at 12 tomorrow.
    http://www.corkcity.ie/news/mainbody,81422,en.html

Shocked by that really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Middle Man wrote: »
    There is a very strong case for mandatory service in this country - it doesn't necessarily have to be in the army - there's plenty of other civil duties that could be carried out like what the civil defence and charities for the homeless do along with some of the basic functions of the emergency services. I would be a case of 'Don't do it and you can't be an Irish Citizen' - simple as! There would obviously be exceptions made for the less able.

You can't be denied citizenship because of something you DON'T do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Relentless in Terenure. I can't see the car outside now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Fresh powdery snow accumulating on all surfaces that thawed during the day in West Clare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Anything else on the cards for wicklow (town) tonight or is that us done now? (happy either way!)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ua

Do anyone know how it is kilmurry co clare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

This ice grain stuff builds slowly but relentlessly. Seems to be bigger flakes in it now too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

It just got heavier in Blanchardstown. I can’t believe it’s lasting this long!

Advertisement