Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    was wondering same, Kilkenny skies gone very still and quiet now :confused:
    Fine ice pellet stuff

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

It's a very serious time for a lot of people with the emergency services putting themselves at risk to protect people and essential service providers among other things helping the homeless, the injured or sick and to restore normal transport links, electricity etc. It has not been a simple situation to forecast or deal with but Met Eireann and the emergency group have been doing a good job. The mods of the weather forum here would have done a lot of work to keep this forum running as smoothly as possible and their efforts make it much easier to stay informed through the key contributers (incl mods themselves) on the various forecasts. Thank you. All.

There are important ongoing warnings and there is a big recovery effort going to be needed but I hope everybody got a chance to take in the beauty of the snow on the various landscapes, was able to chat to a neighbour and even offer help to a neighbour that might need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Something must be wrong with Casement station. No reports for four hours now. Wonder if it's just an issue uploading data and whether it will be available later.

Windy and very fine dust like snow still in Clondalkin.

Most likely just an internet issue. It has happened before with Casement reports and the data was available later. Somebody reported virgin media tv/internet was down in west Dublin earlier, so probably related to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I have to head to the airport in the morning for approx 7:30 am, does anyone know if the M4/M50 should be passable at that time?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Can’t get over how deep the snow is in D13 right about now. So much for the thaw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Intensity has really picked up in Greystones for the last 20 mins. Wind playing a big part with near blizzard conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Visibility at Dublin airport now just 100m in moderate snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I have to head to the airport in the morning for approx 7:30 am, does anyone know if the M4/M50 should be passable at that time?
    could keep an eye on cameras
    https://www.tiitraffic.ie/cams/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Loughc wrote: »
    Can’t get over how deep the snow is in D13 right about now. So much for the thaw!

Neither can I, have you seen the road outside Grattan Hall apartments? It's soooo deep. I tried taking a good picture of it but man, pictures don't do it justice. You cannot pick up the path and could easily fall in it if you weren't used to walking around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

In for rain in the morning are t we. Snow will be dying down I'm assuming? Anyone confirm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Neither can I, have you seen the road outside Grattan Hall apartments? It's soooo deep. I tried taking a good picture of it but man, pictures don't do it justice. You cannot pick up the path and could easily fall in it if you weren't used to walking around there.

Haven’t seen it but it’s the same in my estate no idea where the path starts and car park and green areas ends.

I ducked out for a few mins in it. Tough to walk in it in some places as it’s so deep.

I'd be astonished if anything is able to get in or out of the airport for at least six hours after this stops. Most recent video from there is the worst yet. And constant moderate snow still.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/969692965525389322

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

sdanseo wrote: »
    Visibility at Dublin airport now just 100m in moderate snow.

That's an RVR, not general visibility. To be honest I think it's simply a case of snow covering the RVR reader or something of that sorts, was the same the other day despite Aircraft having visual with the runway from 1000ft out.

Another thing to check for inaccuracies is that the 2 other readings are both 2000m +, yet one part of the airport has a visibility of 75-100m, it seems extremely implausable.

Also note no reports of extremely poor visibility in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭jirafa

JCX BXC wrote: »
    That's an RVR, not general visibility. To be honest I think it's simply a case of snow covering the RVR reader or something of that sorts, was the same the other day despite Aircraft having visual with the runway from 1000ft out.

Another thing to check for inaccuracies is that the 2 other readings are both 2000m +, yet one part of the airport has a visibility of 75-100m, it seems extremely implausable.

Also note no reports of extremely poor visibility in Dublin.

Correct, I did point that out in earlier posts. The 100m RVR is for RW28. General visibility is 1200m which still indicates a good bit of snow.

The RW16 and RW10 RVR measurements are 2km and 3km away respectively, with such local variations that's not too surprising.

In the general context of visibility, RVR is a good indicator of the visibility in a given spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Early AM aer lingus flights cancelled ...I would be looking at daa website

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Early AM aer lingus flights cancelled ...I would be looking at daa website

I'm on the longhaul flight so far not cancelled:o

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Tobinjl91

Friend meant to be coming up to Dublin tomorrow from South Tipperary. Aiming to be here around 3 or 4. Do ye fancy his chances of making it? will be taking the bus if they're even running.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Tobinjl91 wrote: »
    Friend meant to be coming up to Dublin tomorrow from South Tipperary. Aiming to be here around 3 or 4. Do ye fancy his chances of making it? will be taking the bus if they're even running.

No

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭patrickc

Carlow town just seems like nothing happened, it's like a parallel universe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Very lightly (very light barely can see it in the light ) snowing again in cork city even though radar showing nothing. Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Seems to be slightly thawing here in Cobh. The gutter just fell off the house with the weight of the snow and there are mini-avalanches falling all around the houses in the square. Tomorrow's gonna be mucky and busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Finally snowing here in Mayo. Was feeling very left out :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Sleet falling here now south Kilkenny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

This very scenario was in the film Day after Tomorrow, thank god it not looking like that, that was the worse case scenario. The rising temperatures in the Arctic caused the doomsday. Well, that's what happened that caused this change, in the weather for Northern Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭is this username available

Live 2km north of airport and I wouldn't be able to make it to the airport unless I started walking now. There's been no let up here today. Just went out for a look and drifts are at least a foot higher since late afternoon. Naul rd apparently blocked. Wouldn't be confident, it's still snowing here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

sdanseo wrote: »
    Correct, I did point that out in earlier posts. The 100m RVR is for RW28. General visibility is 1200m which still indicates a good bit of snow.

The RW16 and RW10 RVR measurements are 2km and 3km away respectively, with such local variations that's not too surprising.

In the general context of visibility, RVR is a good indicator of the visibility in a given spot.

The RVR at 28 has been consistently and significantly lower than the rest of the airport than the rest of the airport for the last 3hrs at least, I note the current vis is 1500m at the midnight METAR, yet the R28 rvr is showing 75-100m. Perhaps it's a sign of significant localised drifting, I would be very slow to present that as the general visibility at the airport with no caveat though.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

The snow in Mayo is very fine. Tiny flakes. It was the same last night. It snowed for a couple of hours in Castlebar but it never turned into heavier proper flakes. Why is this snow to fine for such an extended period?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Very lightly (very light barely can see it in the light ) snowing again in cork city even though radar showing nothing. Interesting.

Are you it's just not blowing in from somewhere else. I've noticed the wind has picked up a small bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Starting to snow here in Mayo first snowfall since yesterday.

Advertisement