Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

This very scenario was in the film Day after Tomorrow, thank god it not looking like that, that was the worse case scenario.

I hope your joking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Given this is probably the high point in Cork city, just went out into garden with measuring tape. Garden and driveway average depth in middle of areas is variously 22 to 25cm. On top of one metal box I have 30cm lying at the mid point. Nearer walls etc its 40cm+. Incredible for suburbia. Record for Cork airport is 26cm from 1979. For some reason on GLs updates the last I saw for Cork airport was 12cm or so which is very hard to reconcile when it is close to me but is higher up. Should be at or above previous record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Snowing again in Galway city
    Temp 0.2C
    DP -1.0C

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I can't post the pictures but there is no thaw in cork city an hour ago. The main road outside of my estate clearly hasn't been gritted. It's like it was at 9am Friday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Lenny5 wrote: »
    The snow in Mayo is very fine. Tiny flakes. It was the same last night. It snowed for a couple of hours in Castlebar but it never turned into heavier proper flakes. Why is this snow to fine for such an extended period?

Assume its because of the temperature its quite mild and not as bitterly cold as a few days ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

NAGDEFI wrote: »
    I hope your joking :)

Well yes, it was the movie. The movie Northern Hemisphere experienced blizzards due to rising temperatures in the Arctic if you watched the movie.

Nasa talked about this very scenario this week, it's partly the reason we seeing this snowfall.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/feb/27/arctic-warming-scientists-alarmed-by-crazy-temperature-rises

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Word from snow country man here -- knock the icicles off tomorrow after you've enjoyed them for a day, because they add mass to that eventual snow slide putting more pressure on your gutters. And try to give any overhanging snow a helping hand with a long solid instrument (like your skis maybe) so the slides will happen at your leisure. Just don't stand where they are going to land. (diagonal stretching, good for the bod) ... shovel snow away from your house if you have a choice when clearing a walkway, I mean not right up against the foundation, but into the garden beyond. Prevents leaks into the substructure (I imagine few have basements like we do here). Also that snow up against the house will thaw faster and ice up on your walk, the snow into the garden won't do that.

Sure many figured this out, but I've had so many more days to work on this, like 100:1 ratio maybe.

The only time in my days that I've seen roads drifted over like that would have been a 30" blizzard in Ontario that was followed by 50 mph winds and the net effects of that were similar. Otherwise have never seen quite such scenes as some have posted although plenty of times I have seen two feet of snow level on the ground and some drifting afterwards. Incredible to see the images you heard about from historical storms in the here and now.

Spread this word too -- clean the snow off the roof of your vehicle before driving off in the next few days. That load will come off when you least expect it and put either you or some other driver(s) in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

What are the roads like between Galway and Cork city does anyone know? I've a wedding there tomorrow and uncertain whether to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Live 2km north of airport and I wouldn't be able to make it to the airport unless I started walking now. There's been no let up here today. Just went out for a look and drifts are at least a foot higher since late afternoon. Naul rd apparently blocked. Wouldn't be confident, it's still snowing here now.

My car is AWD wonder if that would give me some chance:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

Seems to be a band completely stalled in the Irish Sea. Looks like its about to bombard me but it has looked like this for hours ? Will it eventually move

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Im just lying bed now and its surreal I think Im still in disbelief this all happened, the last few days have been like a dream

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Snowing steadily since about 7pm in Kilcoole, Co Wicklow... much more than last night. Place is buried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Well that's it for me I think. Snow still falling at a light to moderate rate. Another cm or two added in the past hour. Could snow at a light rate for most of the night before a thaw sets in at around dawn - starting from coast. Epic day weather wise I must say. Doubt I'll see conditions like this for a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Looked out the window before bed to see how things were looking, and this is the car (near Cork City):
    DzlGo
    https://imgur.com/a/DzlGo

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Micky 32 wrote: »
    My car is AWD wonder if that would give me some chance:confused:

Your problem is going to be the drifts that have occurred in the wind, I was trying to get to a local village near here earlier today with a big heavy 4x4, and the fields had about 20 cm of snow in them, the roads I was hoping to use were blocked by drifts that were in excess of 120 cm, and the ONLY thing that can get through that sort of depth is a digger with a bucket on the front of it, and I doubt you can wait for the length of time it will take a machine of that nature to get through. The Motorways should in theory be less obstructed, as they (hopefully) have had ploughs operating through the night,

There has been a lot of blowing snow this evening in the North Dublin South Meath area, so I'd be apprehensive of anything getting through to the airport that early.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

piplip87 wrote: »
    Seems to be a band completely stalled in the Irish Sea. Looks like its about to bombard me but it has looked like this for hours ? Will it eventually move

I don't want it travelling anywhere near Dublin.

All this snow has to melt!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

piplip87 wrote: »
    Snow blue balls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

How much snow does western wales have? radar returns have been impressive for ages now.

Looked out the window before bed to see how things were looking, and this is the car (near Cork City):
    DzlGo
    Nearly an image of the outside of my house in cork. This thaw hasn't happened yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Actually snowing quiet heavy here about 15km NW of KK city.
    Unexpected, it looked to be clearing up and getting colder again :o

As I sat back from typing that a sheet of snow slid off roof, first time all week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

I'm really starting to get fed up with the snow. Sorry if it's heresy but I'm getting cabin fever at this stage! I can't get out due to it being a long walk through heavy accumulated snow to get anywhere near a cafe, bar or some kind of place with people and driving is out of the question.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

haven't been able to get online tonight for ages, but today Dunshaughlin went from game over by 12pm with melting snow and about 8 inches of snow depth. snow started falling again today around 4pm and now we have about 16 inches of snow and snow depths up to 3 feet in the garden. unreal.

Gonzo wrote: »
    haven't been able to get online tonight for ages, but today Dunshaughlin went from game over by 12pm with melting snow and about 8 inches of snow depth. snow started falling again today around 4pm and now we have about 16 inches of snow and snow depths up to 3 feet in the garden. unreal.
    So similar to cork city then. It stopped snowing even lightly Friday afternoon. I've been out within the last hour and a manhole cover near the main road was slightly exposed at 5pm but at near midnight I couldn't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Nothing else for Waterford it seems ?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,295 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Decent covering in Castlebar tonight, more than there's been all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

Sorry to post this type of thing here but have a quick question if anyone can help.

My partner has to travel from South West Laois to Kildangan in Kildare tomorrow morning for work.

Are the roads safe & passable? I know the red warning is lifted at 9am but could still be too dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Alanhooly wrote: »
    Sorry to post this type of thing here but have a quick question if anyone can help.

My partner has to travel from South West Laois to Kildangan in Kildare tomorrow morning for work.

Are the roads safe & passable? I know the red warning is lifted at 9am but could still be too dangerous

Unless your partner is essential or critical staff - sounds like a crazy plan.
    Parts of that area have 8 foot drifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭CZ 453

DzlGo

I used go down that hill in a shopping trolley when I was younger. Kids probably doing it in a sleigh today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

sdanseo wrote: »
    Unless your partner is essential or critical staff - sounds like a crazy plan.
    Parts of that area have 8 foot drifts.

Cheers for the reply. She's a social care worker in a residential home looking after three ladies. The poor staff member she'll be taking over from has been stuck in there since Thursday on their own.

Advertisement