Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Still hammering down in Delgany and apart from a half hour pause around 7pm it's been dumping for 26 hours straight and no sign of let-up. This is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcork blue

Still snowing in Ardmore. All the footprints made earlier are now filled inside I would guess another 3/4 cm has fallen since 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gordatilla

Now that we are coming to the end of this snow, I just want to say thanks to the weather buffs for forewarning us so I was prepared and everyone else for keeping me sane over the run up and the duration of the best snow ever- friends and family didnt believe me when I said what was likely to happen😀 looking forward to the next event

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Decent covering in Castlebar tonight, more than there's been all week.

It's mad. Best bit of snow all week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

Update
    03 March 2018 01:28

Today
    Very cold and icy overnight. There'll be further snow at times, heaviest over eastern and southern areas. Towards dawn, the snow will turn more to rain and sleet along the south and southeast coast. Some dry periods overnight too - best over northern and northwestern areas. Lowest temperatures zero to -3 C., coldest inland. Fresh to strong east to northeasterly winds, with a risk of some coastal flooding along parts of the east and south coasts.

Tomorrow

Some further snow on Saturday morning, especially over the northern half of the country. But a band of rain and sleet over south Munster and along the east coast, will edge further northwards through the day, falling more as rain as it goes, but some sleet and snow will continue to affect Ulster in the afternoon. Some persistent rain in places, especially in southern and eastern coastal areas and this will aid the onset of a thaw, but some spot flooding is also possible. Top temperatures 1 to 3 C., over Ulster, but 4 to 7 C., elsewhere, best along the south coast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

At present Connacht especially Northern areas, seeing the most snow falling. Very little in East. Unless netweather radar has gone to crap again lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Convinced my beau to join me outside at midnight. So peaceful and there was a virginal layer of snow. Allowed him to throw a few snowballs at me by way of thanks. :P

Anyway, here’s a collage of photos from that adventure. The snow by the canal was quite compacted for some reason so we didn't sink into it. We did see a rat though! :eek:

E3_FE1_A46-9_E6_B-49_D8-_A57_F-32_D9_D8_A830_FD.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Get all your photos of the snow in tonight folks, I very much suspect this will be the peak (pun intended) of the heights, tomorrow should bring quite a reduction in places.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Get all your photos of the snow in tonight folks, I very much suspect this will be the peak (pun intended) of the heights, tomorrow should bring quite a reduction in places.

Exactly why I dragged muh man outside. He hadn't been outside in it AT ALL. Literally had not left the house since getting home after working a half day on Tuesday. In fairness, he was sick from Tuesday until yesterday.

But I just knew he'd enjoy it once he was out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Still some small flakes of snow floating around in waterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 novemberbravo

Think that's it for Dublin 18. Just cold and quiet. Place covered and can't imagine local services being up and running first thing tomorrow. At this point I'm kinda glad its over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭joey1111

MJohnston wrote: »
    _Dara_ wrote: »
    Exactly why I dragged muh man outside. He hadn't been outside in it AT ALL. Literally had not left the house since getting home after working a half day on Tuesday. In fairness, he was sick from Tuesday until yesterday.

But I just knew he'd enjoy it once he was out there.

Did your beau think this is the last of the virginal layer of snow as he rolled it and caressed it gently with his hard hands and throwing it lovingly at his woman as she smiled longingly at huh man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭snowgal

it's so strange to see the forum 'quiet' here tonight. Been following here, well for years and also obviously last 10 days! Been a great week here and happy out :) im the biggest snow fan! I'm actually exhausted from the whole build up and event! In a great way though....
    I'm looking forward to the morning for one more go at it before it ends :( enjoy the morning everyone, and ps take pics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Looks like the show is almost over finally--time for Kathryn Thomas to sing. Hopefully it's not another 8 or 36 years to wait for the likes again--but nobody knows:confused: Some people probably didn't even go outside to take it all in but they are far removed from nature and more into reality tv etc. Hopefully we get a scorching summer now and skip spring:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Finally stopped after 30+ hours non stop

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Looks like that's it for Killarney now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Looks like one of those concept cars
    tAR5bqB.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

snowgal wrote: »
    it's so strange to see the forum 'quiet' here tonight. Been following here, well for years and also obviously last 10 days! Been a great week here and happy out :) im the biggest snow fan! I'm actually exhausted from the whole build up and event! In a great way though....
    I'm looking forward to the morning for one more go at it before it ends :( enjoy the morning everyone, and ps take pics :)

That's cause we'r all broken hearted
    You know when it's over and after a while of texting and stalking it suddenly dawns on you...... And you ride out to the desert and you shed a tear as you take the toys out of your basket and you throw them away.... And cycle back to the real World with tears in your eyes..... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Time to open a summer thread. Next stop a scorching summer 2018. I predict a heatwave this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

The quietness of the thread is understandable. It was a wild ride. The refractory period varies among individuals.

6qL34SM.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tallayabba

Just a quick question very impressed by the people in the know here been reading for the last few days and I doubted it but the predictions came true.

Living in Dublin 24 snowed in and no shops open yet again this coming day.
    How long until we get some serious melting as this is not fun or funny anymore.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The Event is coming to an end
    Been following this thread/s since almost the beginning - wanna give a big shout out to those weather guys who predicted the weather better even than ME - thank you for all your insightful knowledge

To all those guys/gals that have shared photos and videos over the past few days - well it has made this little weather anomaly all that more special, that could never have happened before smartphones and has made it all the more special to see how the rest of the country is. Some amazing photo's it has to be said!

So thank you for an amazing few days where I thought I could catch up on missed TV and ended up frantically following this weather thread and taking 3 hours to watch one single episode

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

snowgal wrote: »

It's the nice, contented sort of afterglow though. Sort of like when you have an absolutely epic ride and you lie there next to eachother not saying anything, with big filthy grins on your faces :D

Here's to an epic summer before we welcome the Beast From the East back into our beautiful country just in time for "deh Christmas" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Rougies wrote: »
    The quietness of the thread is understandable. It was a wild ride. The refractory period varies among individuals.

6qL34SM.jpg?1
    It's the nice, contented sort of afterglow though. Sort of like when you have an absolutely epic ride and you lie there next to eachother not saying anything, with big filthy grins on your faces :D

Here's to an epic summer before we welcome the Beast From the East back into our beautiful country just in time for "deh Christmas" ;)

God dammit, why'd you have to beat me to it :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭netbeatz

There has been so much snow love and snow hate over the past few days. But after the event here's my take...

To me It is like going on holidays to Disney...it brings families together to spend time with each other, it allows every member a chance to be a kid again, and most of all it gives us a chance to make special memories...ones that will stay with us forever.

Thank God for Snow Days :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Dublin Airport is back in action. 2 Ethiopian transit flights have landed, 5 Shamrocks inbound in the next hour or two

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Checked out side - more snow with earlier tracks again obliterated. Local road only accessible with 4wd or tractor.

Did some shovelling around yard etc for access ystrday and again all covered. All livestock housed until conditions improve significantly...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Shannon Airport reopening this morning- first flight from the US expected shortly

Love this ... ;)

https://twitter.com/burrenman/status/969578194406903808?s=20

Went out for a walk there as the snow has stopped falling and I wanted one last walk.

Couldn’t resist. SUCH a child. Very invigorating though!

2_D9_FE7_F0-9_C95-4_F2_D-_A9_F6-9975078_C2_D12.jpg

6_F9_F0_A2_E-_CF59-410_C-_B5_E5-_BBA5_DD702_C63.jpg

C378_A900-_F167-4_B86-_B2_F6-6_B1770_C462_C1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Bye Emma....see ya.

36cm of snow (on the level) here in Dublin 16 this morning. There was 38cm at 11pm last nigh and more fell after that. Compaction and melting underway I suspect....

May have to start a thaw thread. :pac:

Advertisement