Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Bye Emma....see ya.

36cm of snow (on the level) here in Dublin 16 this morning. There was 38cm at 11pm last nigh and more fell after that. Compaction and melting underway I suspect....

May have to start a thaw thread. :pac:

Good to see an on-the-level measurement actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

AnyOne know are the roads improving yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

Saturday, 03 March 2018 04:27
    Today
    The snowfall has ceased in most areas, however on the Wicklow Mountains and over northern parts some further accumulations of snow will occur today. Elsewhere any snow will turn to sleet and rain later this morning. In the afternoon the rain could turn heavy in the east and south, giving a risk of localised flooding due to melting snow. Temperatures will stay around freezing in northern parts but further south they will rise to values between 3 and 6 degrees this afternoon. Easterly winds will be moderate to fresh, but still strong along the east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

A big thank you to Kermit for starting the thread and making us all aware - I have lost almost a 10 days of my life following but enjoyed every second - you called it so well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

STATUS ORANGE

Snow-ice Warning for Munster, Leinster, Cavan and Monaghan
    Update
    Some snow this morning, widespread treacherous surfaces due to ice and lying snow. Rain will begin to spread from the south today and this will start the melting process with potential flooding. Updates will follow.

Issued:Saturday 03 March 2018 06:00
    Valid:Saturday 03 March 2018 07:00 to Saturday 03 March 2018 18:00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Looks like whatever fell last night has thawed in dublin 4 area

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Very light snow here in south Kerry this morning and absolutely Baltic cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Got a topup of snow in Castlebar. More snow than yesterday. Or it looks like that probably due to lack of drifting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Looked outside there; the thaw is on. Can hear constant dripping water. Glad I went on my little walk earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Stupid warm weather. Go away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭March11

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭March11

Drifts blocking our road completely further up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Big thaw in Dublin 5 We're a few hundred meters from the sea so we loose the snow quicker. It's a shame there were so many wingers but it was a great thread all the same. Thanks guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Morning all...

Report from Kilpedder, North East Wicklow, 70m ASL

Saturday March 3rd
    Status at 07:30hrs

No snowfall - first time in 36hrs.
    Level now 20cm with drifts up to 43cm
    Current temp -0.6
    Pressure 982hPa steady
    No wind, very slight thaw starting

Friday March 2nd
    Status at 23:00

Snow still falling
    Level now 18cm
    Current temp -1.0
    Pressure 985hPa steady
    Wind light, some gusts

Status at 18:00

Snow has been falling all day, more rapidly than previously seen.
    Level now 14cm
    Current temp -1.1
    Pressure 986hPa, rising
    Wind light, some gusts

Status at 13:30hrs

Snow has been falling consistently all morning - mainly light
    Level now at 12cm
    Current temp -0.7
    Pressure 987hPa, steady
    Wind light, no gusts

Status at 08:00 hrs

11cm snowfall overnight and still falling heavily.
    Current temp -1.7c
    Pressure 987hPa, steady.
    Wind light, but with gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

We had an extra 3cm of snow last night on yhe south Cork coast bringing my measurement on a lebel part of the driveway to just short of 28cm. There are drifts several feet deep and the country road/lane outside our house is totally blocked. We dont expect anyone to come to clear our road because veey few people live on it. But rain is expected here today. What can we expect? Will the rain just wash away the drifts on the road so we are able to leave the house later today? Given the total white out still around us im sceptical whether we will be going anywhere. We have been stuck here since the lakeland snow effect started early here on Tuesday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

I'm in county Waterford & it's snowing outside now, we are snowed in here as there are big drifts on the road. Does anyone know how long this will last??

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

Is there a link to all the weather related weather pics?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

bazlers wrote: »
    Is there a link to all the weather related weather pics?

There is a thread for weather pictures: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057845112

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

No thaw out here yet

I don't know how people are going to get their cars out of the estates on Monday morning

Shovels won't do council need to send in machines

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

No thaw out here yet

I don't know how people are going to get their cars out of the estates on Monday morning

Shovels won't do council need to send in machines

Thaw certainly seems on up in Swords. Snow man next door head is half the size since last night and snow on car has reduced already since going to bed last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

In Coolbawn, North Tipp. Just been out for a walk, no thaw and roads probably even worse that last evening due to frost. It will be a while before driving is safe again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Meant to update the thread earlier, I've been up since 0630 and it's stopped snowing (not sure what time during the night it actually did stop) here.

Haven't seen any weather forecasts for the area, and by the look of the sky I'm not sure if the snow is gone for now or due to return.

But at least for now snow showers are taking a respite. The snows too deep to allow the kids out to play in it (it goes waaaaay over their heads) but maybe I can start clearing some kind of a meaningful path and safe area for them out the front of the house.

North Kildare is getting lots of mentions in the news about how deep the snow is, and how snow ploughs can't even access us because of the depths involved here, but It'd be great if some kind soul cleared our access roads which are 4/5ft deep with drifts.

Cabin fever is torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Not a summer thread yet, please.... how about a humble pie/I told you so thread containing retractions and apologies from the vast contingent of Thomases and nay-sayers and people who came on here specifically to announce that there wasn't a flake of snow in their area despite MT and Kermit etc ramping it up to the last blah blah blah... I think most of them were too busy choking on crow to come back during the blitz. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

jopax wrote: »
    I'm in county Waterford & it's snowing outside now, we are snowed in here as there are big drifts on the road. Does anyone know how long this will last??

It's gone above freezing so we should see a slow improvement as the day goes as snow should turn to rain. Surprised when I looked out and saw it snowing again. Milder air very slow to edge in. Just want electricity and water back now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

Maryborough hill in Douglas in Cork and it's snowing again.
    Light though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Snowing again in South Kilkenny since around 7:30.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

0.1c now in Dublin 16. First time since 10pm on February 27th (last Tuesday) that it's been above freezing!

One thing people need to look out for in a thaw is falling icicles! Some serious icicles around these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

Snowing finally in Foxford, had a little covering yesterday morning , ~3mm ,
    it had all gone by evening.
    this morning its all white. and still showing , radar isn't showing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

North Wexford, 300m from the sea.

Heavy rain here this morning. I have to say I'm relieved. I have many, many tonnes of snow to move before I can even get to my gate on foot, and many, many more before I can get out to the road to see how bad it is.

Upside is that I am now sitting looking out at 3 Song Thrushes, 2 Blackbirds, 2 Robins and assorted small birds pecking an the grains and cereals that we have thrown out as the last lot got covered in snow. They'll eat well for a few days now. :)

• Advertisement

There's a small band of light precipitation heading towards Dublin now (from the south/off the Irish Sea). Will it be snow, sleet or rain? Probably all three!

Advertisement