Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mafra

Stopped snowing here. Maybe one last shower left on radar but that’s it.
    Rain forecast today.
    So it ends today.. I know it’s best for everyone and everything but I hate to see it go..

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jojo37

All the tyre tracks and footprints from yesterday have been covered over again in North Cork. Snow stopped now though. Time to get outside and enjoy the snow before it starts to melt. Maybe add a few more members to our snow family. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I'm sad because the snow is going to thaw :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Snowing here outside Newport, Mayo. Good covering last night and it's fairly coming down again now.
    Certainly the worst we seen this week, hope it sticks around for a while so the kids can finally get out for a while and play.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,571 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Tramore, Waterford, no snow overnight, but now it is snowing again, and from the look of the sky there is more to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Not a summer thread yet, please.... how about a humble pie/I told you so thread containing retractions and apologies from the vast contingent of Thomases and nay-sayers and people who came on here specifically to announce that there wasn't a flake of snow in their area despite MT and Kermit etc ramping it up to the last blah blah blah... I think most of them were too busy choking on crow to come back during the blitz. :D

On a related note

There were also comments posted on various media claiming "the world is laughing at us"

Video below shows similar problems to ours in Ukraine. And they get frequent heavy winter.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-europe-43247205

Some folk just have some chip on their shoulder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

My uncle rang me for help yesterday in south Cavan. His water in his cattle shed was frozen and his tractor wouldn't start to get in fodder to them.
    I jumped up on my tractor to go over, about 6 miles of a journey, the roads weren't too bad, passable but still a goodish covering of snow.
    Narrow roads, but place for vehicles to pass by each other just.
    I was surprised though by the amount of walkers on the road, just leisure walkers, in full regalia out walking the narrow roads. Just close to my uncles place I came across a young couple out walking with a young child in a push chair and a loose running dog with them. I was meeting a jeep at the time and had to stop completely as did the jeep to let them pass by safely.
    I think some people are just mad, out in this type of weather on untreated slippy dangerous roads for jolly strolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

wonder how the poster on here a couple days ago got on making memories for his dog ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

It's a lovely and calm morning here in Ballinteer.
    First time it is not snowing for, what seems like, days.
    We are ready to re-emerge to civilisation now.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Edward M wrote: »
    My uncle rang me for help yesterday in south Cavan. His water in his cattle shed was frozen and his tractor wouldn't start to get in fodder to them.
    I jumped up on my tractor to go over, about 6 miles of a journey, the roads weren't too bad, passable but still a goodish covering of snow.
    I was surprised though by the amount of walkers on the road, just leisure walkers, in full regalia out walking the narrow roads. Just close to my uncles place I came across a young couple out walking with a young child in a push chair and a loose running dog with them. I was meeting a jeep at the time and had to stop completely as did the jeep to let them pass by safely.
    I think some people are just mad, out in this type of weather on untreated slippy dangerous roads for jolly strolls.

If they have all the “gear” then I wouldn’t have a problem with people talking a walk as long as they take precautions. I lived in Austria for 3 years and did plenty of snow walking. If you have the right grip on your boots you should be fine. We’ve been snowed in since Tuesday evening here. Going for a bit of a trudge through the snow has been one of the only things keeping us going!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Snow finally stopped in South Dublin but plenty of snow on the ground still. I’m looking forward to another snowy walk with the kids.

We’re going away later this week to visit my in-laws and they texted us yesterday to say they’re having a bit of a heat wave and it was 30C yesterday. It’ll be a bit of a change for us!

corsav6 wrote: »
    Snowing here outside Newport, Mayo. Good covering last night and it's fairly coming down again now.
    Certainly the worst we seen this week, hope it sticks around for a while so the kids can finally get out for a while and play.

You can normally rely on the weather been the opposite of the Met eireann warnings in the North west.

True to form we have a red warning for two days and get no snow, then they downgrade the warning and we get heavy snow.

We got one of our worst storms in decades a few months ago (>150km/hr @ Knock) and Met eireann gave the warning after it had left, but of course they gave a two day warning for Ophelia which never came.

Sky news weather appears to be the only accurate weather for these parts. Its clear where Met Eireann and RTE concentrate there resources on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Big thaw on here after last nights blizzards, at this stage had enough.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭circadian

So with about a foot of snow in the back garden, and drifts of 2-3 feet. Should I be shovelling this away in the event of a fast thaw?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Supercell wrote: »
    Big thaw on here after last nights blizzards, at this stage had enough.

Same here. Couldn't wait for the snow but this is day 4 now so I've had enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Snowing here now again in Cork
    What happened Gerrys sleet, it's running 12 hours late!

Roads worse than ever here

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The dreaded thaw looms - sad times ahead - but perhaps a return to a semblance of normality!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The odd light flurry here again but the thaw is beginning slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

We got one of our worst storms in decades a few months ago (>150km/hr @ Knock) and Met eireann gave the warning after it had left, but of course they gave a two day warning for Ophelia which never came.

Ophelia never came? People died :confused:

Colibri wrote: »
    Ophelia never came? People died :confused:

Poster is specifically talking about the weather warnings for Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Okay so it's stopped snowing again and outside you can hear lots of drip drip drip drip so I think it's safe to say the thaw is on. Get shovelling everyone because there's a big rainpour coming our way.

I can hear all the birds singing again, vehicles passing on the road (never thought I'd be so happy to hear that sound again!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Snowing here now again in Cork What happened Gerrys sleet, it's running 12 hours late!

Yep, just started here again and from the looks of things outside it was snowing for a good bit of last night. Got a text from work telling me to stay at home. Carrs Hill impassable apparently. Snow getting heavier as I type.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Near south coast here so we should be thaw central. nothing so far and now its snowing big fluffy flakes! beast not going without a fight....

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭the 12 th man

Still snowing here in Blessington seems relentless. Oh and by the way the pub ran out of Guinness yesterday!!

When you say roads worse than ever, can you actually get out on the road in East Cork? We are still stuck here with several feet of snow drifts on our road. I’m thinking about YouTubing ‘rain dancing’ to see if I can help hurry on this rain...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

And this is actual snow. Jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Okay so it's stopped snowing again and outside you can hear lots of drip drip drip drip so I think it's safe to say the thaw is on. Get shovelling everyone because there's a big rainpour coming our way.

I can hear all the birds singing again, vehicles passing on the road (never thought I'd be so happy to hear that sound again!).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Arrrgh its feckin snowing again in Firhouse and its beck to zero temp again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Has anyone any idea what the roads from Dublin Airport to Nenagh are like this morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Edward M wrote: »

People are just out enjoying this very rare experience. Stopping to let them them pass safely was, of course, the right thing for the tractor and jeep to do as these vehicles are the hazards to safety....not the people enjoying the countryside.

Advertisement