Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Ah was hoping for another day off Monday - darn

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

What’s going on at Crumlin. Is it really bad there? FB posts about nurses stranded even when they drive in they can’t park and nurses trying to dig themselves out.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

d'Oracle wrote: »
    How has it been up there?

Ha ha crazy I actually can’t describe it anymore 8 feet drifts in places

There used to be a road somewhere
    I wonder what glencree and further up is like

• Registered Users Posts: 1 xsartre

I'm planning on driving from Cavan to Wexford Town this morning. Am I OK if I stick to motorways & main roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

i'm not kidding there are snow flakes falling in the northside of cork city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Snowing in Perrystown but a definite thaw has set in. This is the part I hate. When it's gone, it's gone and I can deal with that but it breaks my heart a little every time I look out the window and it's receded a little more from my reference point.

Going to take the dog out now while it's still lovely and thick on the ground. Still not sure I'll get home to Ballycullen today even with the thaw beginning.

Huge snow drifts here in Ballycullen still plus it's actually snowing at the moment, would be very careful if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Thaw underway in Santry. Rain, sleet and a little snow currently. Temp 1.0c.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,481 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I can understand people with jobs such as those in the medical profession, Gardai etc attempting to make it to work or indeed anyone involved in providing critical services / care but there is NO requirement for anyone else to be out and about just sheer selfishness... it times like these that you see the best in people but the most absolute stupidity too.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

A thaw may be underway in cork city but **** me is the wind still Baltic.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

Rain will hit the South coast first...still snowing in Phoenix park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Big thaw D14, snow gone from all trees and plants and depth of snow on cars and roads noticeably less. I suspect it's been thawing throughout the night here though

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

polydactyl wrote: »
    What’s going on at Crumlin. Is it really bad there? FB posts about nurses stranded even when they drive in they can’t park and nurses trying to dig themselves out.

I'm in Drimnagh, very close to Crumlin hospital. Roads are bad. My bf drove home from work this morning after being there since Thursday night (he's a prison officer). Had to abandon the car on the road outside our house cos he couldn't get in the driveway. A tow truck just happen to drive by a few mins ago so he ran out and was able to get the car moved down the road a bit so other cars could get by. Main roads are ok but he said once he turned into the smaller roads there was very heavy snow in parts and he nearly got stuck a few times.

Still snowing here btw.

The thing I'll miss most from this cold spell is the gale force winds that won't accompany most future cold spells , I loved the sound of snow whipping my house, seeing the snow flying horizontal in lamp post light , the sheets of powder flying over the top of the snow . I felt like bear grylls venturing out for a walk during the storms

Every future cold spell will feel positively mundane by comparison !

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Rain will hit the South coast first...still snowing in Phoenix park.

Does anyone know approximately what time the rain will hit the south coast? It is snowing heavily right now here. We have been stuck in our house on our country road since Tuesday evening with drifts of several feet outside. We really need this thaw to start soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Slight thaw, but still snowing in D15.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gummiebear

Still snowing in Cork, south suburb.Increase to 2c some signs of thaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Strumms wrote: »
    I can understand people with jobs such as those in the medical profession, Gardai etc attempting to make it to work or indeed anyone involved in providing critical services / care but there is NO requirement for anyone else to be out and about just sheer selfishness... it times like these that you see the best in people but the most absolute stupidity too.

I would agree with you to an extent but it also says alot about some employers and their attitude that staff should be in work notwithstanding the risk to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Slight thaw in dublin 5 but nothing major. Gonna take a while I suspect. I suppose it’s still very cold, 2 degrees would be a pretty cold day most winters! Light snow flurry here. What a snow event, one for the ages. Hats off to TV3 who I thought did a great job on it. RTE very average in comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

The drip drip of thaw in Dublin 11 too. It is still snowing lightly too but it's good old fashioned crap Irish snow. The change can't be far off.

Local roads still awful. Had to help 3 separate people on my unsuccessful need some milk walk around the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭davidglanza

Snowing north side of cork city again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Huge snow drifts here in Ballycullen still plus it's actually snowing at the moment, would be very careful if I were you.

Thanks, will probably stay put til tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Starting to thaw in Wexford, we've had a small bit of rain.

I can't wait to hear some of the stats about this cold spell..county with highest recorded snowfall, town with most snowfall, highest recorded drifts etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

catrat12 wrote: »
    Ha ha crazy I actually can’t describe it anymore 8 feet drifts in places

There used to be a road somewhere
    I wonder what glencree and further up is like

Every time I go out I look up towards Barnaculla and wonder what you lot up in the mountains communities must be going through.

I think its nuts down here in Sandyford hall like.....can't even imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Thawing in Athlone, a bitter wind blowing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭RustyGate

polydactyl wrote: »
    reminiscent of 2010 around these parts, if you drove anywhere you more than likely had to dig into a parking spot on arrival at destination. The shutdown has prevented a lot of that digging this time which is a good thing but probably means more areas are not now cleared than would have been the case otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

Still snowing heavily in Dublin 15 Castleknock and Phoenix park.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭dubal

Still snowing Dublin 14, all the areas I cleared yesterday afternoon, are covered.

Does anyone know where the picture thread is ? I thought it was on the weather forum but can't see it there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

wakka12 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where the picture thread is ? I thought it was on the weather forum but can't see it there

Photography forum I think

Advertisement