Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

wakka12 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where the picture thread is ? I thought it was on the weather forum but can't see it there

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057845112

weather pics sub

One aspect of this that was WAY better in 2010 was the photo thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Whoops!

What d'Oracle said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Thawing Cork City South. Sleety/rain. Bus service due at 12 but I don't think it'll start that early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

Still loads of snow lying on the Northside of Cork. A lot of smaller and more sheltered roads are totally impassable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I would have loved to have been able to drive out to kildare or wicklow mountains to experience what some of the towns there are like. Pictures look other worldly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

Raining lightly in Clonmel for the past hour. Snow has gone down by about a cm, and has gone from 20cm to bare ground already in areas under dripping gutters etc. I think it'll all be gone by tomorrow at this rate.

Honestly, probably the best kind of snow event. Record breaking drifts, but then doesn't overstay its welcome. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    no thaw here D15

we had a small thaw here but it's piling back up now. I wasn't expecting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

I think this event blew 2010 out of the water for most. No comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Still snowing heavily in Dublin 15 Castleknock and Phoenix park.

It is, but at the same time there is a bit of a thaw, listen to the drains and watch lumps dropping off roofs and cars etc, im hoping to start a big clearance to get the cars free between 3 and 4pm when temps peak

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Yaaay the thaw has commenced!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

wakka12 wrote: »
    I would have loved to have been able to drive out to kildare or wicklow mountains to experience what some of the towns there are like. Pictures look other worldly

Would u know where there are any pics of places in Dublin Mts? I'd love 2 see how the Sally gap is looking today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Snowing again in Kilpedder, North East Wicklow.

Slight thaw on at the same time. Flakes are wetter than previously and not blowing about as much - falling straight down
    Temp -0.6

Has stoppped snowing in South East Wexford. Now for the added snow thaw from the roof reefing the gutters off and adding to the drift! It'll take days for all this to disappear.

At least some swing jocks got a go eh (bet you miss all that).:)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

davidsr20 wrote: »
    I think this event blew 2010 out of the water for most. No comparison.

Depending on where you are in the country it also blew 1982 out of the water. Last time it was this bad here was 1947 according to the local radio.

MikeSoys wrote: »
    Would u know where there are any pics of places in Dublin Mts? I'd love 2 see how the Sally gap is looking today

There was a couple of pics in the picture thread posted above from people in south dublin area who are probably in the mountains judging by the size of the drifts

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

If only we had vehicles that could travel slower than 50km in built up areas without speedbumps.

They can, the vehicles are not the problem, it's the people behind the wheel that either can't or won't respect the limits.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

https://www.facebook.com/RachelTumulty/posts/1870814419656341

Don't think I saw anyone mention this here.
    But several abandoned cars in West dublin were burnt out by vandals last night

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

2 degrees in goatstown :( snowman and friends not long for this world :(

Although I see a few more flakes starting to fall. :)

C'mon you good thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The party may be over but it has to be said that 2c at Sherkin and Roches Point and 0c at Valentia during the daytime is cold at any time of year let alone March!
    More please! spring can wait until after the equinox as far as I'm concerned!
    it also blew 1982 out of the water.
    In 1982 a big freeze followed the snowstorm unlike this time ..... and it was January.
    Bt as you say it depends on what part of the country you're in. I remember '82 and it makes this event look like an April shower!

Is dublin city centre mostly open today? Was thinking of walking into town today Im guessing roads are all okay in dublin city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057845112

weather pics sub

One aspect of this that was WAY better in 2010 was the photo thread.

The lack of thanks is what makes me not want to post there. Thanks gives me motivation to do my posts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

0.8c in Dublin 16, with light snow/sleet falling. Thaw is on! Lots of dripping. Organising a posse to clear the front entrance of our estate before the rain starts!

kenmc wrote: »
    2 degrees in goatstown :( snowman and friends not long for this world :(

Although I see a few more flakes starting to fall. :)

C'mon you good thing!

My snowman has already been lost to the thaw! Saw him bending at a strange able last night and woke up to a crumbled snowman
    Surprised how quick this thaw is in D14. Still snowing though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

They can, the vehicles are not the problem, it's the people behind the wheel that either can't or won't respect the limits.

There was more sarcasm in that post than there is snow on the ground, steve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 P1nkr0ses

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Driving conditions from Ballinagore to Tullamore were very good.

Council have cleared many 6-8 foot drifts fair play to them.

back roads here are poor naturally.

Certainly this has been more epic but I don't know if I can say it beat 2010 just because its been so short. We only woke up to snow wednesday morning, it started thawing late friday night

2010 cold spell lasted what felt like a solid month.. from early winter until just after christmas day

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hanging out the window to get every drop of 3G coverage possible :pac:

Looking like at least tomorrow before power is restored but things could be a lot worse I suppose!

Trojan effort from our local shopkeeper in opening every day, we’d have been lost without them.

Thaw is setting in now with light rain on and off all morning (south-east coast) and the birds are taking over the place which is a good sign re: temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭green n gold

Weather event almost coming to a close & my 1st post on the topic. Seen two contrasting sides to humanity this week, scum on da loose in lidl citywest last night, looters, burglars, people burning out abandoned cars. A guy i know pretty well who lost a parent recently, selflessly stayed up all night helping to clear dangerous roads to assist ambulance travel and emergency services, one of many countless such admirable folk around the land. I hope posters on here can reflect and see which category of people they come under in times of need and trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Is there much of a thaw there yet?

There is certainly a significant thaw going on here. Problem is we have so much snow on the ground that we really need this rain to help move things. Still about 50 houses on the Old Head of Kinsale without power since yesterday morning and over 70 in the town itself. Hopefully the rain will also help the ESB in their work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sunsetbeachfan

Thaw is starting in stillorgan Dublin. Going to get out and take photos and do snow angels before too late. I'm expecting some shops to be opening now off to see. Tesco is open anyway

Advertisement