Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

davidsr20 wrote: »
    I think this event blew 2010 out of the water for most. No comparison.

For snow amounts for sure but 2010 even went on for ages because of the deep cold. Don't think I'll see as much snow again in my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Weather event almost coming to a close & my 1st post on the topic. Seen two contrasting sides to humanity this week, scum on da loose in lidl citywest last night, looters, burglars, people burning out abandoned cars. A guy i know pretty well who lost a parent recently, selflessly stayed up all night helping to clear dangerous roads to assist ambulance travel and emergency services, one of many countless such admirable folk around the land. I hope posters on here can reflect and see which category of people they come under in times of need and trouble.

Man, people are just getting way to excited about a few bad eggs.
    That Lidl was all my family were talking about, while I was out taking photos of the duck pond and Igloos in my estate.
    Most people have been cool.

Get off facebook and build a snowman.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

For snow amounts for sure but 2010 even went on for ages because of the deep cold. Don't think I'll see as much snow again in my lifetime.

Good point it depends what you are comparing. Snow depth, length of cold spell etc

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Thaw has kicked in here and there is a light rain falling now.

Shanbally/Carrigaline area

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Raining in Rochestown now. Nice thaw underway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭green n gold

I get where your coming from there d'Oracle, but it kinda seems to me that these actions of a tiny minority are the equivlant of kicking someone when they are down, poor form and a sad reflection on themselves imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

WSeen two contrasting sides to humanity this week, scum on da loose in lidl citywest last night, looters, burglars, people burning out abandoned cars.

The good FAR FAR FAR outweighs the bad. There are always going to be scumbags and mob mentality certainly took over there but try to concentrate on the good. The vast majority of which is not "newsworthy" but just normal decent human behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

revelman wrote: »
    Good point it depends what you are comparing. Snow depth, length of cold spell etc

Think I'd prefer March snow (if I had a choice) it won't be around for too long. I remember in 2010 there was still snow around long after the event, even when it was relatively mild. This event was incredible because of the sheer volume of snow - truly memorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Report from Kilpedder, North East Wicklow, 70m ASL

Thaw beginning to ramp up here now. Looks like the party is over. It's been the best snow fun I've had since 1982 but certainly not as bad. I remember much higher drifts, colder temps and far longer lasting conditions. The participation in this forum however has been a bonus - great to see the progress of the incoming storm through the week with minute by minute updates from all over the country.

Ice Station Kilo (Kilpedder), signing off and eagerly awaiting the opening of the 'Scorching Summer 2018' thread :)

Saturday March 3rd
    Status at 07:30hrs

No snowfall - first time in 36hrs.
    Level now 20cm with drifts up to 43cm
    Current temp -0.6
    Pressure 982hPa steady
    No wind, very slight thaw starting

Friday March 2nd
    Status at 23:00

Snow still falling
    Level now 18cm
    Current temp -1.0
    Pressure 985hPa steady
    Wind light, some gusts

Status at 18:00

Snow has been falling all day, more rapidly than previously seen.
    Level now 14cm
    Current temp -1.1
    Pressure 986hPa, rising
    Wind light, some gusts

Status at 13:30hrs

Snow has been falling consistently all morning - mainly light
    Level now at 12cm
    Current temp -0.7
    Pressure 987hPa, steady
    Wind light, no gusts

Status at 08:00 hrs

11cm snowfall overnight and still falling heavily.
    Current temp -1.7c
    Pressure 987hPa, steady.
    Wind light, but with gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

People who were stranded left their car on the road go and check it out as at least 10 cars where burn down and broke into in bawnlea. Scumbags

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

revelman wrote: »
    There is certainly a significant thaw going on here. Problem is we have so much snow on the ground that we really need this rain to help move things. Still about 50 houses on the Old Head of Kinsale without power since yesterday morning and over 70 in the town itself. Hopefully the rain will also help the ESB in their work.

OK thanks for that. There is a high risk of flooding happening if the thaw is too rapid though, which will create a whole new set of problems. Remember you must also take into account melting of the snow that has piled up on rooftops, trees etc. not just what is on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I get where your coming from there d'Oracle, but it kinda seems to me that these actions of a tiny minority are the equivlant of kicking someone when they are down, poor form and a sad reflection on themselves imo.

They likely don't give two ***** how you feel their actions reflect on them.
    This stuff was happening in places that you literally never hear about until someone acts the scumbag.
    Also bad stuff happens all the time in places like Jobstown and Tallaght. A lot worse than smashing up a multimillion multinationals shop, which you won't care about or hear about.

So like, I said, stop thinking about it.
    Society is largely the same as it was without snow, except nobody can get to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

A guy I know was posting pictures from his trip to iceland at the mo, all the comments were just about how crazy it is his home is buried in snow at the moment while he's gone and reykjavik was completely snow free haha

Im so glad I wasn't away during this cold spell. Id be absolutely gutted if I missed this, I don't think Id ever recover!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The rain well sleety rain has arrived in mallow!

OK thanks for that. There is a high risk of flooding happening though if the thaw is too rapid, which will create a whole newset of problems. Remember you must also take into account melting of the snow that has piled up on rooftops, trees etc. not just what is on the ground.

Yes indeed, thanks. We are trying to clear the backyard as much as we can because there is a slope there and a lot of the drifting seems to have congregated out the back. When the rain comes we fear a flood coming to the door. This is what is currently looks like. There is defintely a thaw because believe it or not much more of the clothes line is visible now than yesterday.

444485.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Had a little bit of light rain east of Cork city. The roads are now a slugy mess and they lying snow is very soggy and wet. It's all over for us. Part of me is sad and will miss waking up every morning and seeing a blanket of snow and taking nice peaceful walks. On the other hand I am ready for things to go back to normal. But I'm not back to work until Monday so it's easier for me to say that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Can't b believe it it is still snowing in D15 although I do believe the thaw is setting in. While there are still many drifts of 2 feet in many places, I'm seeing the first signs of exposed kerbs and roofs in others.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I'd like to see one more snow shower :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

There's inarguably a thaw in Dublin 7 - I exposed a small bit of patio as a test for this last night, and it has expanded from there to about a quarter of the patio being partly exposed. Glad to see it tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Think I'd prefer March snow (if I had a choice) it won't be around for too long. I remember in 2010 there was still snow around long after the event, even when it was relatively mild. This event was incredible because of the sheer volume of snow - truly memorable.

Was there not as much, if not more, snowfall in Leinster in 1982? If you look at the old film footage from then showing helicopters having to drop supplies to people in cut off areas, people snowed in by deep drifts etc. there seems to have been as much snowfall then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

wakka12 wrote: »
    A guy I know was posting pictures from his trip to iceland at the mo, all the comments were just about how crazy it is his home is buried in snow at the moment while he's gone and reykjavik was completely snow free haha

My brother went skiiing in Andorra for the week. He’s back tomorrow. Completely missed the snow here and I’d say he’s gutted! Was weird seeing his photos on social media in the middle of all the other snow pictures. He could have been at home like!

I never thought I’d say this but it has just started to rain here and I’m absolutely delighted. Beautiful, glorious and ordinary Irish rain!

Was it the case in 1982 as well that a warm atlantic storm met a strong easterly wind?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Man, people are just getting way to excited about a few bad eggs.
    That Lidl was all my family were talking about, while I was out taking photos of the duck pond and Igloos in my estate.
    Most people have been cool.

Get off facebook and build a snowman.

We are all entitled to a view on the snow or whatever. Yes, there are more things to life than going on social media at every second to comment (for me too). Better to savour the unique event and remember all the amazing things that abound in a frozen landscape. People out having fun, assisting others in need etc. I still remember 1982, and others older remember 1947. Facebook is not required for memories of events like this.

At the same time what happened in Tallaght last night was symptomatic of a major problem in our society that is impacting on every single citizen 365 days a year. Minority or not, they are not wanted. Many are probably benefiting enormously from State handouts off the spoils of law abiding, hardworking citizens from their own neighborhood. Yet, they don’t care. Take take take...

For me, the sickening thing was seeing (on video) a young kid coming out of Lidl with something in their hand and ahead of them a parent carrying a box of goods. Honestly, what hope for that child if it’s being introduced to crime that young? Social Services should have a say in this.

All that said, I will still remember the last few days as an extraordinary weather event.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

Im so glad I wasn't away during this cold spell. Id be absolutely gutted if I missed this, I don't think Id ever recover!

The equivalent of living on the Kildare/Carlow border.
    Looking at our neighbours getting 3ft drifts and we barely got an inch..
    No 1982 or 2010 comparison here with our 4".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Was there not as much, if not more, snowfall in Leinster in 1982? If you look at the old film footage from then showing helicopters having to drop supplies to people in cut off areas, people snowed in by deep drifts etc. there seems to have been as much snowfall then.

I think it's hard to say. There was 3 days of streamer activity giving large localised accumulations, prior to Emma arriving.
    Where do you measure for comparison?

Also we've far better infrastructure to deal with snow these days, and much superior forecasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Was it the case in 1982 as well that a warm atlantic storm met a strong easterly wind?

Kinda, the cold lasted for over a week though and created some very low temperatures.

archives-1982-1-8-0-0.png

archives-1982-1-8-0-1.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

It's easy to forget how bad Irish road infrastructure was in the 1980s. There were basically a hand full of short runs of basic dual carriageway near Dublin, Cork and Limerick and that was it. The rest of the country was on boreens.

Even the boreens these days are far better than they were then. Cars a generally much better and the emergency services would be far more resourced than they were back in the 80s.

Also in terms of heating, a lot more of the country's homes would be adequately heated and insulated these days (I know there are still always a few that aren't.) But, if you think back to the 1980s even urban areas had loads of homes dependent on coal fires, single glazed windows, no attic insulation and so on.
    The situation in the UK wasn't all that much different either. There was a bizarre clinging on to open fires as major source of heat until well into the 1980s and even early 1990s in Ireland.

There was also no such thing as a mobile phone network until 1984 and it wasn't really operational as a major commercial service until well into the late 80s and even then it was insanely expensive. So most people didn't really have mobiles until the 1990s in any part of Europe that I'm aware of. They certainly didn't become main stream until the mid 1990s.

We are DEFINITELY better able to handle this kind of event now. Even if we're not geared up like a country that gets this regularly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Finally built an igloo. It was too hard to write boards.ie inn in front of it though.

Advertisement