Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Does anyone have an accurate snow depth chart of the whole country at the climax of this yesterday evening? Would be really fascinating !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Light snow still being reported at midday from Cork airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Got fairly lucky I think, Could have been a lot worse if earlier in the year Jan. If it didn't have the chance to melt over the afternoons yesterday and Thursday accumulations could have been deeper. Got about 4" yesterday evening 5-8pm where I am. Woke up this morning expecting it to be another foot, accumulations dropped about 8". Its all slush now 2° bring on the thaw.

From what I'm told 1982 was proper snow a lot deeper from accumulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I'd say in North Dublin here we lost about 1/3rd of snow today with temperatures at 4 degrees

5 degrees tomorrow

By Monday I think things will be fairly normal in Dublin road wise and secondary road wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

wakka12 wrote: »
    Does anyone have an accurate snow depth chart of the whole country at the climax of this yesterday evening? Would be really fascinating !

Very difficult to find anything totally accurate apart from ME official stations. Drifts were crazy. Here is an overview of voluntary stations form across the country yesterday.

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/969624601415299072

• Advertisement

Got fairly lucky I think, Could have been a lot worse if earlier in the year Jan. If it didn't have the chance to melt over the afternoons yesterday and Thursday accumulations could have been deeper. Got about 4" yesterday evening 5-8pm where I am. Woke up this morning expecting it to be another foot, accumulations dropped about 8". Its all slush now 2° bring on the thaw.

From what I'm told 1982 was proper snow a lot deeper from accumulation.

I think 1982 was a lot longer. But march 2018 will surely go down in history for the amount of snow that fell in such a short space of time, rather than length of the cold spell or degree of cold like 2010 or the other big events

revelman wrote: »
    Very difficult to find anything totally accurate apart from ME official stations. Drifts were crazy. Here is an overview of voluntary stations form across the country yesterday.

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/969624601415299072

Yeh Ive seen those stats but I thought there might have been a chart that showed more variation around the country!
    For instance many places in meath got a lot lot more than that station did

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Precipitation totals for 2 March 2018

Dunsany - 53.2mm
    Roches Point - 43.5mm
    Dublin Airport - 35.2mm
    Athenry - 26.4mm
    Gurteen - 23.6mm
    Johnstown Castle - 22.0mm
    Phoenix Park - 17.3mm
    Ballyhaise - 10.4mm

In comparison to this time last year:
    sryanbruen wrote: »
    Wettest March day in many places yesterday since 2004 (when Valentia recorded 42.0mm on the 11th)

Roches Point - 39.5mm
    Moore Park - 34.0mm
    Shannon Airport - 32.4mm
    Cork Airport - 32.0mm
    Valentia Observatory - 30.2mm
    Mace Head - 29.3mm
    Newport - 26.3mm
    Sherkin Island - 26.1mm
    Athenry - 24.5mm
    Claremorris - 22.7mm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

The only thing I didn't enjoy about this event was that it was a bit of an ordeal to get out and enjoy it with that ceaseless biting wind.
    The thaw has arrived here in Dublin 16, but it's generally a little cooler here than it is in the city, so I'm hoping it sticks around a little longer than expected for Dublin.

There's a sense of relief to having an event end in March. I'm not frantically looking through the models looking for a reload. I've had my dose and I don't expect or hope for anything more.

Now I think I'll wrap warm up and try to make it to the top of Three Rock. It's still -1c up there :)
    Cheers folks

wakka12 wrote: »
    Yeh Ive seen those stats but I thought there might have been a chart that showed more variation around the country!
    For instance many places in meath got a lot lot more than that station did

I think it is impossible to find that to be honest. In the UK there are way more stations. We have very few in Ireland. You are right, the heavy snow was so localized that it would be interesting to have more recordings from more places.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Both DP and temp positive in Clondalkin. The light snow has given way to light sleet. Both are predicted to go under tonight. I wonder if parts of the country will be dusted again tonight (albeit very little)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Skedaddle wrote: »
    It's easy to forget how bad Irish road infrastructure was in the 1980s. There were basically a hand full of short runs of basic dual carriageway near Dublin, Cork and Limerick and that was it. The rest of the country was on boreens.

Even the boreens these days are far better than they were then. Cars a generally much better and the emergency services would be far more resourced than they were back in the 80s.

Also in terms of heating, a lot more of the country's homes would be adequately heated and insulated these days (I know there are still always a few that aren't.) But, if you think back to the 1980s even urban areas had loads of homes dependent on coal fires, single glazed windows, no attic insulation and so on.
    The situation in the UK wasn't all that much different either. There was a bizarre clinging on to open fires as major source of heat until well into the 1980s and even early 1990s in Ireland.

There was also no such thing as a mobile phone network until 1984 and it wasn't really operational as a major commercial service until well into the late 80s and even then it was insanely expensive. So most people didn't really have mobiles until the 1990s in any part of Europe that I'm aware of. They certainly didn't become main stream until the mid 1990s.

We are DEFINITELY better able to handle this kind of event now. Even if we're not geared up like a country that gets this regularly

We had a mobile phone network in 1984?
    That's mad.

Many didn't even have a landline back then. It took up to a year to get one once an order was placed with Telecom Eireann.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

gabeeg wrote: »
    I think it's hard to say. There was 3 days of streamer activity giving large localised accumulations, prior to Emma arriving.
    Where do you measure for comparison?

Also we've far better infrastructure to deal with snow these days, and much superior forecasting.

I might be mistaken, but I have not read any mention of official ME snowfall depth records being broken anywhere, not even in the east, which is by far the worst affected area of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

Clonsilla and Blanchardstown got 40 cm before 9 am on Friday and about 20 cm fell since then in Dublin 15. TheseareMet Eireann stats in the attachment. So about 50/60 cm in West Dublin...don't know about other parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I might be mistaken, but I have not read any mention of official ME snowfall depth records being broken anywhere, not even in the east, which is by far the worst affected part area of the country.

I doubt we'll hear final statistic roundups until Monday at the earliest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Thaw is barely starting here in Ennis, I have to be somewhere at 2, not looking forward to driving a rear wheel car in slush

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Easily well over 60cm in North Kildare in parts. Ive seen pics of at least 80cm lying in parts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

pad199207 wrote: »
    Easily well over 60cm in North Kildare in parts. Ive seen pics of at least 80cm lying in parts.

Drove over yesterday , you got hit a lot harder than Newbridge thats for sure , seen some amazing depths and sites when out and about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

The Sun is trying hard to get out here in North Wexford. The thaw is well underway. It'll probably be a few days before we can get the car anywhere near the road. :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I might be mistaken, but I have not read any mention of official ME snowfall depth records being broken anywhere, not even in the east, which is by far the worst affected part area of the country.
    Official snow depth must surely be affected by wind speed. Drifting might not occur in calm conditions, meaning that official depths might be greater but not necessarily that more snow has actually fallen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Thaw has started in Terenure but there is a lot to thaw. The wife nearly got brained earlier in the garden when the snow slid off the neighbours roof 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭tscul32

Best few days ever!! In Swords and thaw well under way. This morning I measured the deepest part on the patio at 26cm! And that was after a couple of hours of thaw. Considering we so rarely see snow on the ground here the kids (including me) were beside themselves. So many snowmen, snowball fights, hot chocolates...
    Thanks for all the updates from the experts here, I was the only one at the school gate on Tuesday who believed it would happen. Finally get to have a full night's sleep again, without checking the window and this thread every hour or two.

revelman wrote: »
    I never thought I’d say this but it has just started to rain here and I’m absolutely delighted. Beautiful, glorious and ordinary Irish rain!

The rain has stopped! Time for Plan B:

https://twitter.com/TomClementsTV/status/960895194005757952

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Precipitation totals for 2 March 2018

Dunsany - 53.2mm
    Roches Point - 43.5mm
    Dublin Airport - 35.2mm
    Athenry - 26.4mm
    Gurteen - 23.6mm
    Johnstown Castle - 22.0mm
    Phoenix Park - 17.3mm
    Ballyhaise - 10.4mm

In comparis9on to this time last year:

But all the precipitation in the list for Mar 2017 that you posted fell as rain, not snow, so I don't see how it is relevant.

Some slight snow flurries here in Dundalk at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

gabeeg wrote: »
    We had a mobile phone network in 1984?
    That's mad.

Many didn't even have a landline back then. It took up to a year to get one once an order was placed with Telecom Eireann.

A bit off topic, but we were starting to snap out of technological backwardness in infrastructure in the 1980s and catch up rapidly with the rest of Europe.

The Eircell 088 TACS network went live in 1984 and had pretty reasonable coverage by 1986. The first fully digital landline telephone exchanges were in service by 1981, with the whole core network being digital by the late 80s
    (way ahead of most of the world actually because we largely skipped a generation of analogue tech.)

The reason for the huge waits in the 1980s was simply that the oldest electromechanical technology used in local exchanges on the landline network was so old it belonged in a museum. The systems couldn't be expanded as the components were simply no longer made. In some cases, the companies that made them didn't even exist anymore. It was 1920s-50s technology. So, they couldn't provide new lines to people who ordered them until they were replaced with digital switching. Hence, you had to wait for up to 5 years in some areas.

Interestingly, the first satellite channels on cable tv were on air in about 1983/4 in Cork City and by the late 80s in Dublin and elsewhere too.

The 1980s weren't entirely dismal!

Winter in Dublin or Cork in the 1980s was a smoke-bound mess with a stinking, heavily polluted river flowing through the city centre and very little in the way of onwards infrastructure for transport.

There's no question though but that we are MUCH, MUCH more able to deal with a major weather event now than we were in 1980s Ireland. The comparisons are like two different countries. We've really gone though quite spectacular improvements in a lot of areas and you only see it when you look back at old archive material of how things were.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

But all the precipitation in the list for Mar 2017 that you posted fell as rain, not snow, so I don't see how it is relevant.

The comparison is the large precipitation totals around the same times of year making it an amusing coincidence with just a year difference. As a statistician, I enjoy making comparisons like this. It's just like from 19c on 11 March 2012 to -1c on the 11 March 2013 as daytime maxima.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭greasepalm

rear wheel drive cars stay off the road as one poor idiot in a rear wheel drive with left rear wheel spinning merc going nowhere.main roads in places drive-able but side road still deep and lethal,seen snow ploughs busy on roads thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Happy enough to call it sleet falling in Dublin 11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 kmoneill

Dont think there wil b much of a thaw here today,snowing lightly now ,about 12 to 14 cm lying,1 degree but feels more like minus 2 or 3 in a biting ENE wind..east kery...

Advertisement