Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

kmoneill wrote: »
    Dont think there wil b much of a thaw here today,snowing lightly now ,about 12 to 14 cm lying,1 degree but feels more like minus 2 or 3 in a biting ENE wind..east kery...

Same here. Need the strength of the sun for any large scale melting which won't be happening today.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

snow has turned to sleet here now.

Emma really bounced back here yesterday afternoon and the precipitation hasn't really stopped since. There is between one and two foot of snow in most places here and 3 feet snow drifts in several parts of the garden.

There is a thaw on, but you can't even see whats melted so far, there is just so much snow.

This time yesterday I was saying that there was more snow during 2010 and way more in 1982, but after what fell yesterday evening and last night, 2010 is well beaten here now, probably still not as much as 1982 but not far off it.

Going to attempt to make the 2km walk to Dunshaughlin to try and stock up on some essential supplies in Supervalu as we are now running very low on food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Just drove to Cork City centre. Thawing slowly and main roads are passable mostly in one lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Thawing quickly in Naas

Goodbye Mr Snowman.....Goodbye

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We've about an inch of cover gone but a looooong way to go yet. And I'm super antsy at this stage, really want to get out and about

(Edit: We've had snow cover since Tuesday night, its now Saturday. My three year old isn't able for the depth that is out there currently so only short trips out possible as he gets super cold. Path is dug out. Cars are completely stuck as the road is too deep. I love snow but I'm done now!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

29 cm here in flat open ground near Santry. Much more obviously in drifts.

Not bad, not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Between now and sunset the cloud should thin a little bit along with the temperature rise, which should accelerate the thaw:

arpegeuk-4-9-0_uae8.png

Rain will help too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The comparison is the large precipitation totals around the same times of year making it an amusing coincidence with just a year difference. As a statistician, I enjoy making comparisons like this. It's just like from 19c on 11 March 2012 to -1c on the 11 March 2013 as daytime maxima.

OK fair enough. I can`t find it now but if I recall correctly, someone posted that at the end of the freezing weather in December 2010, there was a 20 degree Celsius increase in temperature in the space of 24 hours. Is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

54cm on our patio in Wicklow town. And that was after a couple of hours of light rain. Trying to dig the plants out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

wakka12 wrote: »
    Im so glad I wasn't away during this cold spell. Id be absolutely gutted if I missed this, I don't think Id ever recover!
    Still stuck in Birmingham Aiport, since weds due to cork being closed. Very gutted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

11pm Fri 2nd March
    70zyhc.jpg

12pm Sat 3rd March

vue0y.jpg

Over & out - it's been fun

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Still no sleet or rain in my area but thaw well underway.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Steopo wrote: »
    11pm Fri 2nd March
    70zyhc.jpg

12pm Sat 3rd March

vue0y.jpg

Over & out - it's been fun

How's the baby? :eek: :)

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Esel wrote: »
    How's the baby? :eek: :)

I think it got drunk!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

OK fair enough. I can`t find it now but if I recall correctly, someone posted that at the end of the freezing weather in December 2010, there was a 20 degree Celsius increase in temperature in the space of 24 hours. Is that correct?

Maybe not that extreme.

The minimum temperature ranges for each of the days from the 25th to 27th December 2010 were:

25th; -16 to -2c
    26th; -9 to 6c
    27th; 3 to 9c

Data originally from Met Éireann

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Cork city and suburbs are drive able at last. Haven't been able to do it myself as I live at the top of a hill in Bandon, and it's just pure ice down the hill still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Was an amazing but very strange storm here. Snow was really coming down in sheets with 90 km.hr gusts on Thursday late evening. At that stage I really thought we would get half a metre of snow right on the coast but it tapered off to snizzle after 2am Friday. Just as others have said, was slightly disappointed Friday morning only see see the snow return with a vengeance yesterday 2:30 PM and dump a good 4-5 inches throughout the latter part of the day. At about 4-6 PM it turned very squally with light/moderate snow with some heavy very heavy bursts coming in from the sea. Accumulations wise I would say the snow pack is about 15-20 cm deep here about 40 metres above the sea (conservative estimate) with 1.5 foot drifts in spots. An inch or two more on Dalkey hill with bigger drifts (over 100m asl).

Thaw is in full swing here on the South Dublin coast but I think I will retain my garden snow pack for a few days. Was an amazing event and will never forget it. Only slight downside was the slight marginality that was initially present yesterday afternoon - if the the temp had been say 0.5 - 1 degree lower throughout yesterday's event I think I would have a good 10cm more than what I got. Snow quite wet. But who cares anyways, has been a memorable 4 days of weather watching and will never forget this.

Overall I think I enjoyed 2010 a bit more than this event. This was an amazing event but at times it was hard to enjoy due to the difficult conditions re. wind. Went out for a walk at 9 pm last night and had to return home as the gusts were still in the 70 km/hr range with snow pellets hacking at my face. In 2010 I remember hour long walks in heavy snow showers with only light winds. Snow depths similar to 2010 here but with larger drifts this time and wetter snow.

Thanks to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

That is correct. It was unbelievable how rapid the thaw was. I went skiing up in Kilakee (Hell Fire) and it was almost knee deep, next day went up again and it was not possible to ski. Off up 3 Rock now to see what it’s like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

Jayziz lads, d'ya remember the big snow of 2018. It was like the north pole. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Still snowing here in East Kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Same here. Need the strength of the sun for any large scale melting which won't be happening today.

Sun just came out in D13.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

This is a bit different from 1982 which was followed by an extremely cold week where the snow did not melt at all. Plenty of opportunities to walk around in the crisp air, whereas this time we just get slush.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Maybe we should open a review thread for this event (also merge the run up threads with this one too)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

This is a bit different from 1982 which was followed by an extremely cold week where the snow did not melt at all. Plenty of opportunities to walk around in the crisp air, whereas this time we just get slush.

Cant have it all i suppose

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pity it's going to end up a dirty slushy mess very soon. I would have loved a few days of blue skies and sub zero temperatures to really enjoy going outside in the snow and keeping the winter wonderland scenes for a bit longer.

Thawing could become very progressive across the east and south over the next 48 hours with very little frost and rain at times to speed up the thawing process.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Bad Chemicals

MikeSoys wrote: »
    Would u know where there are any pics of places in Dublin Mts? I'd love 2 see how the Sally gap is looking today

Posted some photos in the Beast from the East photo thread from near the Sally Gap area.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

STILL not that much thaw here tbh , still think there’ll be a dusting after dark

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭BrianD3

North Kildare/Meath border area here, I've been looking back at our photos and videos (Super 8 mm :)) from 1982 and would say that 2018 had more snowfall and bigger drifts than 1982.

We were fortunate this time with the time of year, also there is no comparison between 1982 and now in terms of ability to deal with these conditions. Everything from infrastructure (roads, water, electricity) to cars/machinery to communications to shops - things have changed dramatically.

in the 1980s you'd expect to be snowed in and have to fend for yourself possibly with no electricity for long periods. Power cuts happened regularly even in normal weather. People had well stocked chest freezers, Super Sers, butane camping stoves, matches, candles. As time has gone by people are less inclined to keep emergency supplies/equipment such as this because the need for them has diminished.

I'm going to get myself a Super Ser next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69,152 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Snowing again on the Monaghan - Fermanagh border.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Thaw is underway in waterford. Can see the tops of the cars again but the street is still under alot of snow so no getting out of the estate for a day or so still.

Advertisement