Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Cork city and suburbs are drive able at last. Haven't been able to do it myself as I live at the top of a hill in Bandon, and it's just pure ice down the hill still.

Me too, we're up on past St Brogans but my parents managed to make it down to the town. Said once you get onto a proper road it's grand. Had to go get dog food, stocked up on a lot of things but not dog food!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Uthur

im glad that happened in march and not the start of January. good thawing just now and i got out of the house after being stuck in a few days :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    STILL not that much thaw here tbh , still think there’ll be a dusting after dark

Don't live in denial....the thaw is happening! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I have a happy face on me that it's thawing actually, it's been an incredible event. We broke records. I took tons of pictures and videos. I had lots of fun - I even went out with the family which I rarely do :P. Now I'd like normal life to resume for me please.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Corofin Co Galway 03/03/18IMAG3002_zpsi8gdvt9f.jpgI went to say a big thanks to everyone for all the brilliant pics and updates over the past few days it's been epic thanks again yours m17

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

wakka12 wrote: »
    Im so glad I wasn't away during this cold spell. Id be absolutely gutted if I missed this, I don't think Id ever recover!
    I will let you know how my recovery process goes. In years to come when the great snow of 2018 is mentioned my eyes will well up at having missed it. My only comfort will be that I've had the holiday of a lifetime and spent precious time with my family who I don't get to see as often as I'd like . I would describe the feeling as akin to doing the same lottery numbers week in week out. The one week you forget to do them ....your numbers come up !

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Just been for a lovely walk before it all thaws. Amazed to see the duck pond frozen over. And the depth of snow made walking difficult for the dogs but they loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Really lightening up here in D7, not direct sunlight or anything, but there is plenty of solar radiation getting through to provide some extra melt (the reflectivity of the clouds might actually help heat things up a bit more there, I'm not sure?).

Honestly, I'm glad of the thaw - I really enjoyed it from Tuesday to Friday, but at that point things started getting really extreme here, even this close to the city centre we felt isolated/disconnected. Couple that with a general sense of increasing amounts of people testing the limits of that disconnection (from authority) - if not outright lawlessness in places, although not in our area thankfully - and I'm kind of glad things are returning to normal. As I've said before, it might just be that I have a kid now that I'm less interested in prolonged snow spells. That might change if I ever move to my dream house in some mountains in the middle of nowhere, where I'll be happy for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Lashing rain coming down in cork :-(

• Advertisement

See the depth

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Unfortunately for me near the Seafront in Bray Peak snow was about 2 inches deep on the flat despite 30 hours of moderate to heavy snow Thursdays 9pm into the wee hours of this morning. ie. Falling snow only kept pace with the thawing or natural compacting under its own weight. So for me this entire period didn't beat the first hour of snow under a streamer on Nov 26th 2010 nevermind the entire period. I really thought that worst case would be 1987 1ft of snow on the level for the Seafront area while other areas of Dublin and Wicklow got levels one starts measuring in fractions of a metre. I would have been happy with that and not really expected more given I'm on the Seafront. Twas not to be though and I'm 'Bitterly' disappointed :D

Whats going to be really strange given this event happened near the beginning of March, is that if we get some decent sunny mild weather in the next couple of weeks, how weird is it going to feel sweating while cutting the grass or a hedge in a T-shirt and remembering that literally a few weeks previously that garden or hedge was under several feet of snow and drifts. Those two scenarios are usually several months apart at a minimum.

Who knows, maybe this year will play out like 2010. A Snow event at the beginning of the year and then another in Nov/Dec before the calendar year is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Heavy rain in Rochestown, Cork now. Bring it on. Time to wash it all away...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Ludo wrote: »
    Heavy rain in Rochestown, Cork now. Bring it on. Time to wash it all away...

Back to normality alright,rain running down the windows but it's been a fantastic few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Just been for a lovely walk before it all thaws. Amazed to see the duck pond frozen over. And the depth of snow made walking difficult for the dogs but they loved it

Cool. Where's the duck pond?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Calibos wrote: »
    Unfortunately for me near the Seafront in Bray Peak snow was about 2 inches deep on the flat despite 30 hours of moderate to heavy snow Thursdays 9pm into the wee hours of this morning. ie. Falling snow only kept pace with the thawing or natural compacting under its own weight. So for me this entire period didn't beat the first hour of snow under a streamer on Nov 26th 2010 nevermind the entire period. I really thought that worst case would be 1987 1ft of snow on the level for the Seafront area while other areas of Dublin and Wicklow got levels one starts measuring in fractions of a metre. I would have been happy with that and not really expected more given I'm on the Seafront. Twas not to be though and I'm 'Bitterly' disappointed :D

Whats going to be really strange given this event happened near the beginning of March, is that if we get some decent sunny mild weather in the next couple of weeks, how weird is it going to feel sweating while cutting the grass or a hedge in a T-shirt and remembering that literally a few weeks previously that garden or hedge was under several feet of snow and drifts. Those two scenarios are usually several months apart at a minimum.

Who knows, maybe this year will play out like 2010. A Snow event at the beginning of the year and then another in Nov/Dec before the calendar year is out.

You got unlucky on both counts! Portmarnock was just North enough to get a nice feed of powder feeders from Wednesday night through until Friday midday. It largely missed out on the Emma snow but still got that additional two inches last night as you mention.

In an ideal world for those on the immediate coast we needed those conditions Wednesday through Friday morning to persist for longer to give us deep stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

thejuggler wrote: »
    86 years young on a sledge just outside Cork City. Well done Eileen.
    She's famous :)

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43253956

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Deblowin

First post! We live at 200 m ASL near Rathcoole. Thaw starting to set in now. Generally we had around 30 cm - nowhere really sheltered from wind effects. Local roads running north south have spectacular drifts up to 4 m. Magic. Hard to capture the immensity and beauty of it but I'll post some pictures later when I am allowed as a new poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Starting to snow again on the hills north east of Kilkenny.

I was chatting to a person who had come from Kilkenny city to visit the hills, he had to abandon the car lower down and couldn't get over how bad it was and how high the snow drifts are. Said it is a different world compared to lower down.

Need someone to dig out the road as it will be there for a long time if it isn't removed and dumped as a snow plough wouldn't clear the road. The area is classified as mountainous by the department of agriculture.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Could be some heavy flooding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Jojo37

Kinda sad watching all the snow melt. Measured outside my house this morning and we got about 10 inches (North Cork) not bad considering we were late to the party. Had a great day yesterday and morning today out playing with the kids so can't really complain. Back to normality Monday!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Calibos wrote: »

The difference this time is that the snowfall happened at end of Feb/beginning of March, while the first spell of very cold weather in 2010 occurred in Jan of that year. Jan this year was nothing out of the ordinary weatherwise so it`s not really playing out the same.

gabeeg wrote: »
    Cool. Where's the duck pond?

In Sandyford - Belarmine. If you zoom it in you can just see the Drake in the middle of the reeds. That is normally water

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Colser wrote: »
    Back to normality alright,rain running down the windows but it's been a fantastic few days.

its not doing a whole lot of melting though. still 80% of snow intact

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There were quite a few disruptive cold snaps this season, mostly from the north west, a couple of frontal snow events too (narrowly missed for Dublin). The west and north in particular have not gotten away lightly this winter.

It's been a very good winter overall for cold weather (if you like cold weather and snow).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Snowed lightly here for a few hours today and the odd flake still blowing in the wind.
    No rain yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

MJohnston wrote: »
    Really lightening up here in D7, not direct sunlight or anything, but there is plenty of solar radiation getting through to provide some extra melt (the reflectivity of the clouds might actually help heat things up a bit more there, I'm not sure?).

Honestly, I'm glad of the thaw - I really enjoyed it from Tuesday to Friday, but at that point things started getting really extreme here, even this close to the city centre we felt isolated/disconnected. Couple that with a general sense of increasing amounts of people testing the limits of that disconnection (from authority) - if not outright lawlessness in places, although not in our area thankfully - and I'm kind of glad things are returning to normal. As I've said before, it might just be that I have a kid now that I'm less interested in prolonged snow spells. That might change if I ever move to my dream house in some mountains in the middle of nowhere, where I'll be happy for it!

Look forward to helping your kid build his/her first snowman, go on first sleigh-ride etc. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Starting to melt here. Icicles have dropped, and the end is nigh.

Thank fcuk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

its not doing a whole lot of melting though. still 80% of snow intact

Give it a bit of time, the heaviest rainfall is still to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Anyone notice on the melted steps outside their doors lots of snail shells. the birds are doing a right job on the snail population :D

Advertisement