Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

So it seems that the Beast has been declared dead. Any chance he could be resurrected anytime in the near future?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Is it worth clearing some snow off roads/paths now, or do you think the rain melt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭whattodo1

So happy to see the thaw, I measured the snow this morning it was 2 foot and the snow drifts were bigger then my 7ft fence tinahely co wicklow
    Pic from yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

hmmm wrote: »
    Is it worth clearing some snow off roads/paths now, or do you think the rain melt it?

Definitely clear paths if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Deblowin

Am going to let the weather do the work - too tired from running around in the stuff for the past few days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Remember that beast from the east events usually don't last very long so even if this took place in January, its longevity may have not been affected. January 1987 for example whilst VERY EXTREME was also very short.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Wintry mix here near Roundwood now, mainly rain. Still cut off for cars, so at least some chance of people, and more importantly deliveries, getting in and out. It's been epic, but let the digging begin!

We've close to 3 foot lying (rather than drifts) and over 6 foot in the drifts. The area they'll have to clear up over 15foot high drifts. Won't be getting the cars out quickly anyway!

sryanbruen wrote: »

If there was no thaw underway now snowmobiles could have been in use again this time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

It’s bittersweet seeing the thaw. I love the snow but I’m ready now for it to go so I can get to work on Monday. It was fantastic while it lasted!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Deblowin

There are nice aspects to the spring snow - longer daylight hours to enjoy it and knowing that warmer weather is coming soon. I guess it increases the risk of damage to budding plants and trees? Any data on this from previous late snows?

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Wintry mix here near Roundwood now, mainly rain. Still cut off for cars, so at least some chance of people, and more importantly deliveries, getting in and out. It's been epic, but let the digging begin!

We've close to 3 foot lying (rather than drifts) and over 6 foot in the drifts. The area they'll have to clear up over 15foot high drifts. Won't be getting the cars out quickly anyway!

The milder temperatures will reduce that fairly quickly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Rain here in Wexford now. [ Mod Snip] neighbour doing his Victor Meldrew impression looking at the piles of snow left by the people next door who went to the bother of clearing the paths,while he scraped a bit of a trench outside his door. No fear of coming out and helping to do all the path.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Rain here in Wexford now. [ Mod Snip] neighbour doing his Victor Meldrew impression looking at the piles of snow left by the people next door who went to the bother of clearing the paths,while he scraped a bit of a trench outside his door. No fear of coming out and helping to do all the path.

Same with me here, I've a gammy back so not worth it for me to do something like that and not be able to work, who knows what the neighbours are thinking of me.

How do you know this guy might not be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Just been for a lovely walk before it all thaws. Amazed to see the duck pond frozen over. And the depth of snow made walking difficult for the dogs but they loved it

The Royal Canal is completely frozen over in Maynooth!

20180303_133024.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Same with me here, I've a gammy back so not worth it for me to do something like that and not be able to work, who knows what the neighbours are thinking of me.

How do you know this guy might not be able to help.

I know him,his work ethic is to do the bare minimum. He has no problems digging around his car atm. A job not even worth doing.The problem is the 3 feet drifts along the road. Himself and his wife are those kind of people. Twitching curtains and tutting at others on the road. They had a row with the people next door over wetting their drive while powerhosing the paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

This will be shown for decades to come

this was Ireland back in 2018 children....

really!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

The Royal Canal is completely frozen over in Maynooth!

I walked past. There were some seriously unimpressed ducks :pac:

Also, quite a fast melt underway here too as far as I can see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Patches of blue sky in mid-Limerick! Trickle of sleety rain earlier and still large swathes of snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

After a dry day a sleety/snowy mixture is falling heavy in North Wexford at the moment.

After all the crazyness of the past week I wonder how many people will be active on the weather forums after the weekend.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'll admit I don't always post in here, but I a am a casual browser!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Thanks for all the info and the pictures. Has been fun waiting and the eventually getting snow.
    See you all in 2026-2030 sometime. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Thanks for all the info and the pictures. Has been fun waiting and the eventually getting snow.
    See you all in 2026-2030 sometime. 😀

See you later this year or 2019. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭abacus120

What a great week,the anticipation ,the nerves,the excitement
    Won't forget it for a long time,worn out now
    Well done to all for making this thread so enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Rain now thank god. Need to stock up on supplies. Snow great for 3 days and that's enough for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Deblowin wrote: »
    There are nice aspects to the spring snow - longer daylight hours to enjoy it and knowing that warmer weather is coming soon. I guess it increases the risk of damage to budding plants and trees? Any data on this from previous late snows?
    Lucky enough this time, the frost was not as severe as expected, snow cover will have protected buds and shoots, little fresh growth to damage any how

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭brookers

You got unlucky on both counts! Portmarnock was just North enough to get a nice feed of powder feeders from Wednesday night through until Friday midday. It largely missed out on the Emma snow but still got that additional two inches last night as you mention.

In an ideal world for those on the immediate coast we needed those conditions Wednesday through Friday morning to persist for longer to give us deep stuff.

yet up in Shankill, killiney and Dalkey it was unreal snow...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Temperature reached 2.1C here but since had started to fall again, now 1.7C.
    Light snow.

Advertisement