Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Cant wait for tomorrow so going to sleep so it will be here sooner.

Reckon this Lout from the South will bury us

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

That is one impressively long streamer barreling right through the center of Dublin at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

I'm giving up and turning in for the night. Delighted for all those seeing some action, but nothing here since the excitement of waking up to a decent ground coverage this morning. Tipp/Kilkenny border. Hopefully tomorrow will bring some action, but I'm not overly optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Started up again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭otherfrog

It's getting a little difficult to lamp post watch given the buildup of snow on the window...

The netweather radar view seems to show a Casement > Naas > Newbridge train of constant snow showers, just like last night, and that it's there for the next few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Wouldn't mind a few cans now lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Could I just ask ... at the moment we have seen streamers come in off the irish sea.. and dumping a lot of snow. Is Emma a more organised, continuous band or more showers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Coax

Wouldn't mind a few cans now lads...

I'd kill for a slice or two of toast right now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭AllForIt

lucy2010 wrote: »
    Could I just ask ... at the moment we have seen streamers come in off the irish sea.. and dumping a lot of snow. Is Emma a more organised, continuous band or more showers ?

It's a storm so ya not showers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

It’s a full on Atlantic named storm of the type that normally brings rain and high winds. Because it is coming to the east of us it will bring in easterly winds and advect with the cold air from the continent.

It will be a real storm not just a series of showers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Conveyor belt of snow from just north of Liverpool, across the tip of Anglsey all the way to Dublin. If the wind direction stays the same for a few hours it's going to be interesting :pac:

We have had mad scenes.

But then we probably have more snow than you here - more to blow around - VERY impressive when it really gets going.

By reports from North Dublin today I would think so, hopefully in for a repeat of last night here, this streamer looks juicy enough. Heavy now!

From what I understand it'll be more continous.

MT's forecast in the morning will be eagerly updated and he'll give a great explanation.

Some more knowledgeable posters may still be awake to explain it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

That is one impressively long streamer barreling right through the center of Dublin at the moment.

Went for a midnight stroll, from Christchurch to Phibsborough and was walking head first into it for a large part of it.

Your face tells you it wants to fall of with the cold, yet your brain wants it to intensify more.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

We have had mad scenes.

But then we probably have more snow than you here - more to blow around - VERY impressive when it really gets going.

I hope in the final reckoning so does Dublin cc get the absolute plastering it deserves .. all the Dail Seanad council getting two days off. Dublin 6 right in the edge of walking distance to CC getting flurried to death—-/ I kinda miss the short lived dinner plates

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Yeah its a frontal snow event

Real deal here now! very like last night :D

Humougous graupel mixed in

“The only conclusion I am drawing about "Emma" is that one model will look good and most of the others won't, by Saturday.” I know which one !!

-5°C in West Limerick with nice powdery dusting from earlier. Looks lovely out there tonight. Pity thst the visibility will suffer tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Humoungus graupel mixed in

That's where you get the drifts from. Mental when the wind really kicks up.

The only conclusion I am drawing about "Emma" is that one model will look good and most of the others won't, by Saturday.

I know which one ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

NMB wrote: »
    “The only conclusion I am drawing about "Emma" is that one model will look good and most of the others won't, by Saturday.” I know which one !!

Do tell. It’s the one hitting Dublin isn’t it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Dumping down last 90 mins on / off in East Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭SpaceRocket

I wish Greystones would get some action! Last shower we had was this morning. Blustery and chilly tonight but no more snow showers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

NMB wrote: »
    The only conclusion I am drawing about "Emma" is that one model will look good and most of the others won't, by Saturday.

I know which one ...

JMA?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Just about to call it a night and another big snow shower comes flying in , heavy again ! anyway for those staying up seems to be plenty more action on the way ,

Enjoy it

443639.png

443640.png

Do tell. It’s the one hitting Dublin isn’t it?

I was quoting MT on the tech thread sorry I wasn’t clear I didn’t mean to be a smart arse or anything

MT's Latest Update

The logical outcome given the strength of the cold easterly flow and the generally flabby look of Emma so far, is that this storm will be shunted west shortly after breaking through the 49N parallel, but the increasing gradient and frontal zone will allow heavy snow to develop over most of the southern half of the country. Further north, I think that despite stable low-level parameters, the sea effect process will continue at perhaps a reduced intensity and will keep a steady light to moderate snow coming inland on ESE winds across north Leinster into inland Connacht, and most of east Ulster also.

There are going to be pockets of low snowfall or even dry conditions perhaps, but too risky to fine tune this red warning, in any case its effect will be to deter people from making trips from some low-impact areas into the bad situation developing across most of the country, so in any case no nationwide red warning is ever likely to totally verify, that's not how weather actually works, they have to call it for the overall impact which could include some power outages because I think in some cases heavy wet snow combined with sleet in the south may bring down trees on transmission lines (maybe you have more of these buried than what I am used to here).

So in terms of detail, I am going to leave that to the morning update in my forecast, thinking generally a patchwork quilt of 20 to 40 cm amounts with the highest totals being around Wicklow and central inland southern counties, tapering to a general 10 to 20 inland northwest and 5 to 15 coastal northwest although a few near zero pockets won't surprise anyone. Some models show the track into Kerry, if that verified then northern totals would probably be higher.

I also think there is some chance of this snowfall event not really ending at all but continuing intermittently Friday night and resuming Saturday as a potential second low forms behind Emma and tries to duplicate the feat.

So it's a case of slowly diminishing sea effect snowfalls Dublin and north/west being overtaken by the gradual northward advance of frontal snows, probably a gap between these but in some cases perhaps just a merged non-stop snowfall (this more likely in central counties still getting the last dregs of sea effect when frontal snow moves in).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

pad199207 wrote: »
    This is worse than last night here in Naas now. There is no visibility

It would help if you took off the blindfold

ec28e9558f82e3c371b4a3d4e06f07df.jpg
    image storage api

Advertisement