Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

sryanbruen wrote: »
    See you later this year or 2019. :)

I've a feeling it Will be later this year. Early snow is my hunch. It's been a rollercoaster, thanks you lot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

RobertKK wrote: »
    Temperature reached 2.1C here but since had started to fall again, now 1.7C.
    Light snow.

In the Phoenix park. Temperature only two degrees and no rain. Just a slight that.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

In the Phoenix park. Temperature only two degrees and no rain. Just a slight that.

Just a slight thaw I meant....still cold in Dublin 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭obriener2054

Walking down the road :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Pretty heavy rain/sleet in cork city now. Lots of slush on the roads. Is that meant to freeze later on? If so it will be deadly mix of soaking roads + frozen slush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Looking at the nearest met station to here which is Ballyhaise it's about 0.5° colder today than it was yesterday although it felt colder yesterday as the wind would cut you in two.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Deblowin

I guess you are right - though my favourite pear tree is about to break bud - at least as you say the frost wasn't too bad and we had a lot of snow cover. I should be more concerned about my gutters - we lost them on two sides of the house yesterday with heavier snow coming off in mini avalanches.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,022 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Pretty heavy rain/sleet in cork city now. Lots of slush on the roads. Is that meant to freeze later on? If so it will be deadly mix of soaking roads + frozen slush

It looks like it's meant to stop raining at least. It's supposed to get to 0 degrees tonight but a wind chill will make it feel colder.,

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Just spent two hours shovelling the wet snow from the driveway and away from the house. Nice to see the great thaw. It was great in here and thanks for all pictures, videos and sharing of expertise. Hope we won't have to see each other any time soon for an occasion like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Coffee n chocs

Raining here with a good thaw here in south west Wexford. Snow gone off neighbours roofs but still a lot on the ground.

Thanks to all the knowledgeable people for their help reading the charts and all the posyers for updates from around the country. Its been an amazing week. Hopefully we wont have to wait as long for a repeat performance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

STATUS ORANGE

Snow-ice Warning for Munster, Leinster, Cavan and Monaghan

Update:
    Widespread lying snow and icy conditions will continue to make many roads and paths very slippery.
    Snow melt will continue to increase river-levels and may also lead to localised surface water flooding.
    Issued:
    Saturday 03 March 2018 15:00
    Valid:
    Saturday 03 March 2018 15:00 to Sunday 04 March 2018 12:00

STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Connacht and Donegal

Lying snow and icy conditions will continue to make many roads and paths very slippery.
    Issued:
    Saturday 03 March 2018 16:00
    Valid:
    Saturday 03 March 2018 16:00 to Sunday 04 March 2018 12:00
    Met Eireann weather warnings extended until 12:00 tomorrow, don't slip on the pavement or lose control of the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

The Royal Canal is completely frozen over in Maynooth!

20180303_133024.jpg

Blimey that’s amazing. As somebody else said looks like the ducks are p’eed off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Went into Cork city there to get some shopping (well, nothing really because nothing in the shops!). Very difficult to walk on the footpaths...so slushy!

It's been raining for the past few hours. There was a very cold wind when we were walking home. Made it feel colder than the last few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Went into Cork city there to get some shopping (well, nothing really because nothing in the shops!). Very difficult to walk on the footpaths...so slushy!

It's been raining for the past few hours. There was a very cold wind when we were walking home. Made it feel colder than the last few days.

Wet cold always feel horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Wet cold always feel horrible.

The worst type of weather combination to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Remember that beast from the east events usually don't last very long so even if this took place in January, its longevity may have not been affected. January 1987 for example whilst VERY EXTREME was also very short.

Jan ‘87 had 3 days of heavy snow showers moving in off the sea in NE winds. Slow thaw followed over 7 days.
    Much colder though in 87 and I had basically a month off from school from Christmas hols returning end of Jan due to the severity of the cold and the effects cold had on boilers in schools then.

1982 was the infamous blizzard, a short spell but etched on peoples minds for the rest of their lives. Was only a week long with just the one notable but paralysing snowfall.

Then we had an ‘87 and and ‘82 this week with 3 days (well here) heavy snow showers and then a blizzard reloading with a second frontal snow.
    Epic event but not memorable for its cold temps, windchill yes, snow depths most definitely.

2010 will always stand out for its record breaking cold with heavy snow also in the mix. Actually 2010, the year with no Spring following on from a cold 2009/2010 winter was exceptional too with no growth and earth scorched from frost well into May.

2018 is historic now, we will see the likes of it again maybe they are a 20 or perhaps >30 year event (1947, 1963, 1982, 2018) or will we see more severe cold spells such as 2010 noted for its longevity anytime soon.

Personally this event is on a par with 1982 for the simple fact that snowfall was similar, drifts and on flat surfaces and that I live only 4km from where I grew up.
    My total snowfall was 22.5cm with max depth of 18cm. Measured a 3ft drift with most coming in around 2.5ft so not bad at this location at 30m ASL, 5km from coast.
    This event is memorable to me with the incessant heavy snow showers for 3 days even on the day we are due the blizzard and then a second frontal snow event later that same day. Pure bliss from a snow lovers point of view.

I know of a few who witnessed the 1982 event, had since relocated with 2018 a much more extreme event for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Hopefully the next major weather warning will be for a heatwave...won't get work off for that though. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Just want to echo what some other posters have said already. A huge thanks to everyone who contributed to these epic threads in what was a rare and wonderful weather event for most.

Cheers to the regular posters who are here all year round and have to put up with the influx of people like myself asking the same questions time and time again when an event kicks off!!

Time now to wander out again and enjoy it a little bit more before the thaw sets in fully.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just back from the Supermarket where most of the shelves are empty. Took over 2 hours to get to the shops and back and managed to stock up again for the next 2 days.

Conditions on the main road in Dunshaughlin is now fine, it's all clear but the side roads are in a terrible state.

The thaw has really progressed over past 3 hours with snow already melted from roofs and even parts of the driveway and garden. Most of the snow will probably be melted by Monday in the Dunshaughlin area except for the mounds of compressed snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Gonzo wrote: »
    just back from the Supermarket where most of the shelves are empty. Took over 2 hours to get to the shops and back and managed to stock up again for the next 2 days.

Conditions on the main road in Dunshaughlin is now fine, it's all clear but the side roads are in a terrible state.

The thaw has really progressed over past 3 hours with snow already melted from roofs and even parts of the driveway and garden. Most of the snow will probably be melted by Monday in the Dunshaughlin area except for the mounds of compressed snow.

Same here but it will be a few days for the deep snow. Just measured it now and flat it's still around 29 cms in the garden so a long way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

It's been a fantastic few days and I've been glued to this thread since the start,thanks to all the experts and the "couldn't read a chart to save my life" posters like myself ðŸ˜.I'm genuinely seeing white dots when I close my eyes after all the lamp post watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Starting to rain a bit here (Avoca) and its about 4°C, about 400mm fell all in excl. drifts. I spent the afternoon clearing the worst of it from the drive so the thaw can get a head start. It was fun but three days is plenty, any longer and I'd start turning into Jack Torrance from the Shining :)

heres-johnn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Apparently my missus doesn't want a snowman for her birthday tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Heavy snow here in North Cork atm :) ... last sting of a dying wasp

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭obriener2054

Back snowing here in manor kilbride ... decent thaw today though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Had a serious thaw here today.

Drifts will take some time though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

Cnn website. Top story is the cold in Europe and the picture they have is a Garda car stuck in the snow in Dublin. Not something you see every day haha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

My back garden has a lawn that’s in a desperate state and it’s covered in about a foot of snow. Any point in shoveling it off or will that make matters worse? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Cnn website. Top story is the cold in Europe and the picture they have is a Garda car stuck in the snow in Dublin. Not something you see every day haha

Reading now what exactly a bomb cyclone is..... weather forum is always giving!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Just been into work in Galway city, strange to see lying snow in the city. Huge mountains of snow that were cleared off the roads that will take a long time to melt.

Alot of big drifts cleared from minor roads by farmers, still down to one lane in some places with people driving as if they were on a dry road.

Advertisement