Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

irishfeen wrote: »
    Heavy snow here in North Cork atm :) ... last sting of a dying wasp

Rain where I am. That extra height the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

david75 wrote: »
    My back garden has a lawn that’s in a desperate state and it’s covered in about a foot of snow. Any point in shoveling it off or will that make matters worse? Thanks in advance

Leave it,the snow will be gone in a couple of days anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Forgot to say.

I forgot to pick up my dogs poos before the snow began and his subsequent poos during the few days were covered almost immediately.
    Going to be a long messy wait for this to thaw

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

david75 wrote: »
    Forgot to say.

I forgot to pick up my dogs poos before the snow began and his subsequent poos during the few days were covered almost immediately.
    Going to be a long messy wait for this to thaw

I have that situation too. I was so engrossed in the excitement that I forgot to clear up and I have 2 dogs. But I remember in 2010 it was actually easier to clear up when the snow was gone because it had all been in the “freezer” (horrible topic of discussion really - sorry guys)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Significant thaw all day in our somewhat elevated rurual position but we had so much snow on the ground that our country road is still impassable. We still have drifts of 3ft or more around the house and on the road. The rain has become absolutely torrential in the last few minutes and we are hoping this will help clear some of our road. Given how few people are on our road, we understand it is not a priority for county council ploughs. Food supplies are very low so if we still can’t drive tomorrow morning we will walk into town to get some supplies. Fingers crossed. Odd feeling of looking out at significant snow drifts yet torrential rain! Driveway right now:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Has anybody heard if it will be possible to get a taxi from the airport this evening? Are taxi’s running I wonder?

Council out gritting roads that are clear while it's raining. Only in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Still a lot of snow left here. Thaw was moderate here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

It will make the run off like brine helping to reduce ice forming later, also speed up the melting process

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

I imagine it will freeze down on top of all this again tonight? Maybe thats why they are gritting .. in advance :D

If so, more different type of fun tomorrow :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

There was a video on twitter showing a gritter followed closely behind by a road sweeper.

beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

I'd give anything to head out in the car but there's drifts either end of my road and I don't have a shovel. Cracking up at this stage. Wednesday was exciting, Thursday was beautiful. Yesterday was a bit miserable due to lack of supplies and access to them. Last night was mental. If I can't drive my car today after 4 days of it I'm done with snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I wouldn't be so sure about that! ;)
    The wind remains easterly and its only 2c where I am. If the wind had turned southerly or even southeasterly the chances of more snow would be nil.
    The jet is as far south as I've ever seen it, the complex area of low pressure nearby and where it will go is very difficult to forecast, if it drifts south the door is open. Lets not forget that there is still Greenland blocking. Look at this chart, its not far away you know ...... oh, I forgot to mention that we may not be finished with the effects of the SSW. A cold March ahead. Ramp over!

fax36s.gif?0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Lightly drizzling here near UL. Most of the snow is gone from roofs, and only snow visible on the ground is in the piles around where cars were.

Definitely more snow than 2010 if I recall snowfall amounts here correctly from back then.

Now these past few days have been very interesting to watch the progression of the models as the situation changed - so weird to see Emma not make it as far north as was anticipated. The models will have some runs to see how to improve them because of that.

The warnings were the right calls with the best of information at the time, and with the right intent. No "nowcasting" of alerts, nicely planned, nicely implemented. We're not that badly off for having an extra long weekend out of the office. The one I feel worst for is the lad in Cork that fell from the wall :(

lolo62 wrote: »
    I'd give anything to head out in the car but there's drifts either end of my road and I don't have a shovel. Cracking up at this stage. Wednesday was exciting, Thursday was beautiful. Yesterday was a bit miserable due to lack of supplies and access to them. Last night was mental. If I can't drive my car today after 4 days of it I'm done with snow!

I got my car 25 feet from the house,only a few hundred feet to go. It's gas that on the other road all the Polish lads got out together and dug through 4 and 5 foot drifts to clear the road. The only other person on my road doing any shovelling bar me was the woman across the road from me.

The wind remains easterly and its only 2c where I am. If the wind had turned southerly or even southeasterly the chances of more snow would be nil.
    The jet is as far south as I've ever seen it, the complex area of low pressure nearby and where it will go is very difficult to forecast, if it drifts south the door is open. Lets not forget that there is still Greenland blocking. Look at this chart, its not far away you know ...... oh, I forgot to mention that we may not be finished with the effects of the SSW. A cold March ahead. Ramp over!

fax36s.gif?0

I told a couple of people that the snow could return and they were a tad unhappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

With the shoveling done, I'm considering this largely done.

As someone who onlyposts here during major weather events, I'd like to add to the chorus thanking the regulars here for being such gracious and interesting hosts.

This one was particularly good craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭the 12 th man

fax36s.gif?0

I just looked at the Nullschool.net and could see that it is indeed still an Easterly Wind. Gives me some doubt that a full thaw is still possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Snowed for the best part of the day here near the Wicklow gap. Mostly small stuff but its added another inch or two to the overall totals. I haven't enough spit for me hands for this job!
    20180303_140520_zps86mowqdb.jpg
    20180302_164219_zpseaoylknx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

I got my car 25 feet from the house,only a few hundred feet to go. It's gas that on the other road all the Polish lads got out together and dug through 4 and 5 foot drifts to clear the road. The only other person on my road doing any shovelling bar me was the woman across the road from me.

It's bananas. The main roads are fine around here there's just no getting out of the estate. I actually don't think any of my neighbours have left their houses for the last few days. I've been out a good bit and no one around, no one passing the house. A bit of activity today but not a lot of pulling together going on. Even in 2010 there was more helping each other out. Either we've gone a bit soft or the warnings just have people riding it out indoors.
    Anyway I better go and buy myself a shovel asap so I dont feel like a total hypocrite :)*

• Advertisement

mallards wrote: »
    Snowed for the best part of the day here near the Wicklow gap. Mostly small stuff but its added another inch or two to the overall totals. I haven't enough spit for me hands for this job!

Hang on, is that a roof????

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Lepidoptera

Band of neighbours here have spent the past several hours trying to make the road passable. Lots of cars completely blocked by huge drifts as well.

lolo62 wrote: »
    It's bananas. The main roads are fine around here there's just no getting out of the estate. I actually don't think any of my neighbours have left their houses for the last few days. I've been out a good bit and no one around, no one passing the house. A bit of activity today but not a lot of pulling together going on. Even in 2010 there was more helping each other out. Either we've gone a bit soft or the warnings just have people riding it out indoors.
    Anyway I better go and buy myself a shovel asap so I dont feel like a total hypocrite :)*

In 2010 a few of us cleared the road before it got too bad but this time everyone just seemed to stay indoors. I blame Netflix.
    One fella walked by me as I shovelled and came back later complaining about how can he get his car out to the main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Not sure if this is the right place for pics (Mods please move if so) . We had slight rain today but not enough to move the drifts. This is coastal near Kinsale.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

revelman wrote: »
    Significant thaw all day in our somewhat elevated rurual position but we had so much snow on the ground that our country road is still impassable. We still have drifts of 3ft or more around the house and on the road. The rain has become absolutely torrential in the last few minutes and we are hoping this will help clear some of our road. Given how few people are on our road, we understand it is not a priority for county council ploughs. Food supplies are very low so if we still can’t drive tomorrow morning we will walk into town to get some supplies. Fingers crossed. Odd feeling of looking out at significant snow drifts yet torrential rain! Driveway right now:

If you can`t drive yourself by tomorrow do you know a local farmer or someone with a tractor that could bring supplies close to you? How far are you from a road that is someway passible?

In 2010 a few of us cleared the road before it got too bad but this time everyone just seemed to stay indoors. I blame Netflix.
    One fella walked by me as I shovelled and came back later complaining about how can he get his car out to the main road.

It was like a meithil out our way.
    Loads of people out with shovels.

The next cul-de-sac is untouched but its full access now down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Hang on, is that a roof????

Ha! No that's my drive out to my gate pillars. Here's it from a different angle. Funnily enough my roof was nearly empty of snow due to the force of the wind. That's why the drifts are so big in the yard.
    20180303_073851_zpseexhwdju.jpg
    20180302_163714_zpsv748makn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

We may reconvene in less than a week if some models are right, in fact some big weather event seems likely to occur because they all show a strong low pressure system near Ireland, the difference being night and day between a track up the west coast (rain and strong winds) or south and into Britain (another cold spell and snow possible with that).

I am just looking at this now and trying to assess the chances. Between now and then, basically most of this coming week, it's the ideal slow thaw scenario that might prevent major flooding while still clearing the snow. You don't want a fast thaw as they had at the end of the seven week (can you imagine?) cold and snow of 1947, that ended up with a heavy rain and a sudden rise in temps to 10 C in mid-March.

Anyway, the ECM which is often the most reliable model has a 959 mb low over Valentia moving north on Saturday next (10th). If that verifies we would be into very strong southerly winds and heavy rainfalls from Friday night on. Not saying it will happen, just what we are confronted with as our next forecast challenge.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

While the road here in Clondalkin is mostly cleared, I still see cars getting suck in slush and icy roads. For the most part roads here still not in good condition for public transport or large vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

We may reconvene in less than a week if some models are right, in fact some big weather event seems likely to occur because they all show a strong low pressure system near Ireland, the difference being night and day between a track up the west coast (rain and strong winds) or south and into Britain (another cold spell and snow possible with that).

I am just looking at this now and trying to assess the chances. Between now and then, basically most of this coming week, it's the ideal slow thaw scenario that might prevent major flooding while still clearing the snow. You don't want a fast thaw as they had at the end of the seven week (can you imagine?) cold and snow of 1947, that ended up with a heavy rain and a sudden rise in temps to 10 C in mid-March.

Anyway, the ECM which is often the most reliable model has a 959 mb low over Valentia moving north on Saturday next (10th). If that verifies we would be into very strong southerly winds and heavy rainfalls from Friday night on. Not saying it will happen, just what we are confronted with as our next forecast challenge.

The infamous St. Patrick's Day floods in '47..

Advertisement