Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Had a great day clearing snow here. All the neighbours came out & helped. Estate now is driveable. Great community spirit...few beers, some mulled wine. All we were missing was Xmas FM

Better not snow now tonight after all that !!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

daheff wrote: »
    Had a great day clearing snow here. All the neighbours came out & helped. Estate now is driveable. Great community spirit...few beers, some mulled wine. All we were missing was Xmas FM

Nice, the road might be driveable, but not sure you guys can drive after all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Moderate snowfall on the high ground of Kilkenny, 1.3C.
    It is adding to already lying snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 12,179 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

daheff wrote: »

Lovely to see that. Where I am lots are more interested in clearing their driveways and dumping it onto the actual road. I really wish it was more like what you guys did.

In other news, I'm delighted to say that my two little Robin Redbreast friends are still alive and well after the intense feeding regime. Jesus, they'd eat anything within reason. This morning one literally hopped onto my boot. I felt so honored. Nature is such a mix of things.

Total accumulation reached 20cm on the open level. Lots of snow and up to 2ft drifts max. Nothing major, but still difficult. Enjoyed the natural side of things, but once again the human side of things gave me a few laughs beyond snowball fights and snowmen building.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

If you can`t drive yourself by tomorrow do you know a local farmer or someone with a tractor that could bring supplies close to you? How far are you from a road that is someway passible?

Got a tractor coming! First time having groceries delivered by tractor!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

We may reconvene in less than a week if some models are right, in fact some big weather event seems likely to occur because they all show a strong low pressure system near Ireland, the difference being night and day between a track up the west coast (rain and strong winds) or south and into Britain (another cold spell and snow possible with that).

I am just looking at this now and trying to assess the chances. Between now and then, basically most of this coming week, it's the ideal slow thaw scenario that might prevent major flooding while still clearing the snow. You don't want a fast thaw as they had at the end of the seven week (can you imagine?) cold and snow of 1947, that ended up with a heavy rain and a sudden rise in temps to 10 C in mid-March.

Anyway, the ECM which is often the most reliable model has a 959 mb low over Valentia moving north on Saturday next (10th). If that verifies we would be into very strong southerly winds and heavy rainfalls from Friday night on. Not saying it will happen, just what we are confronted with as our next forecast challenge.

I thought that, according to the archives, there was no really significant rise in temperatures until late April of 1947, maybe I need to read them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

We may reconvene in less than a week if some models are right, in fact some big weather event seems likely to occur because they all show a strong low pressure system near Ireland, the difference being night and day between a track up the west coast (rain and strong winds) or south and into Britain (another cold spell and snow possible with that).

I am just looking at this now and trying to assess the chances. Between now and then, basically most of this coming week, it's the ideal slow thaw scenario that might prevent major flooding while still clearing the snow. You don't want a fast thaw as they had at the end of the seven week (can you imagine?) cold and snow of 1947, that ended up with a heavy rain and a sudden rise in temps to 10 C in mid-March.

Anyway, the ECM which is often the most reliable model has a 959 mb low over Valentia moving north on Saturday next (10th). If that verifies we would be into very strong southerly winds and heavy rainfalls from Friday night on. Not saying it will happen, just what we are confronted with as our next forecast challenge.

Oh stop that you flirt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Just realised what the main qissue was for Bray Seafronts poor accumulations of a peak of 5cm. Tuesday and Wednesdays poor showing was purely down to only being under a Streamer for about 2 hours on Tuesday Night and another hour or two at the edge of one. Poor showing after 30 hours of heavy snow Thursday and Friday is because the gale force winds and high seas were blowing natures own de-icer along with all the snow onto the seafront and nearby roads. ie. Massive quantities of salty sea spray. Thats why it was melting as fast as it was falling down here.

No gales in either 2010 events which is why this end of Bray did a lot better back then.

• Advertisement

revelman wrote: »
    Got a tractor coming! First time having groceries delivered by tractor!

Glad to read that. All you need now is the snow to melt from your local area. Have patience, it will happen fairly soon.

Calibos wrote: »
    Just realised what the main qissue was for Bray Seafronts poor accumulations of a peak of 5cm. Tuesday and Wednesdays poor showing was purely down to only being under a Streamer for about 2 hours on Tuesday Night and another hour or two at the edge of one. Poor showing after 30 hours of heavy snow Thursday and Friday is because the gale force winds and high seas were blowing natures own de-icer along with all the snow onto the seafront and nearby roads. ie. Massive quantities of salty sea spray. Thats why it was melting as fast as it was falling down here.

No gales in either 2010 events which is why this end of Bray did a lot better back then.

Was that the same situation in Dun Laoghaire as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

My favourite snowman from the whole cold snap, right outside. Forget all the monstrosities!

2_AFF968_C-_FBCD-4211-_B66_E-_A75173370_A5_F.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

We started trying to dig ourselves out at around 10am, we did about 2 hours but were absolutely wrecked after it! My husband had gotten his van half way across our yard but we couldn't go any farther and there would be at least 3 hours more digging to get us out.

My husband's best friend came over to rescue us and brought us into town for provisions around 1pm and by the time we got back at around half 3, there had been a serious thaw and after a bit of perseverance, my husband got his van across the yard and over to the top of our driveway, where all the snow had melted.

We did a good bit of digging out on the road to help neighbours out but it started to get dark so we had to abandon our efforts as there's no street lights where we live. Hopefully by the morning there will be a huge amount melted. We're lucky with the layout of our house and yard, we never flood due to the way it's landscaped.

There's still huge mounds of snow around Waterford City, the council are going to have to do a lot of work to get some semblance of order to the place for workplaces, schools and colleges to get back to normal. They're after doing a massive amount already but there's just so much snow!

Hope you have all come out the other end of the fun-filled snow days unscathed.

The Royal Canal is completely frozen over in Maynooth!

I wondered that! I walked by the canal last night and I was sure it was ice floes I saw on it. I didn’t want to get too close to the edge in case there was a snow overhang and I fell in, and from a distance my phone flashlight couldn’t make it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Route1

I see more snow forecast tonight in Dublin on the weather app on my phone, is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Route1 wrote: »
    I see more snow forecast tonight in Dublin on the weather app on my phone, is that right?

NO (not being cheeky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

_Dara_ wrote: »
    My favourite snowman from the whole cold snap, right outside. Forget all the monstrosities!

He looks like a happy chap!

NAGDEFI wrote: »
    The infamous St. Patrick's Day floods in '47..

Are there any archives about that available?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The milder temperatures will reduce that fairly quickly.
    Started digging out anyway - weighing up letting the temps do it, or take advantage of relatively dry snow that is also relatively easy to dig (relatively the key word, still bloody hard work).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Ich bin ein snowman

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right place for pics (Mods please move if so) . We had slight rain today but not enough to move the drifts. This is coastal near Kinsale.

I can’t get over the snow totals some of ye got in Cork, amazing to see! It could be another century before that happens again. Thumbs up for the snow chasers down your way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

And 29 people thanking the poster? :rolleyes:

I could be wrong but the damp squid and pedal stool thing is a reference from an episode of the IT Crowd. So id imagine thats what the thanks could mostly be from.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

And 29 people thanking the poster? :rolleyes:
    Wooosh!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

I think there is still a lot of people stuck in houses in the countryside and rural areas I’m in glencullen and young enough and very hard to get walking out of driveway and won’t be able to drive out for a long while
    Just hope people are calling into houses to check on people

But, how big was it before the show drift buried him up to his waist. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

It's really washed away in Cork City at this stage other than a few very sheltered and hilly spots which are a little slippery. I certainly wouldn't suggest driving at speed just yet, but it's basically gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Slightly amazed by how quick it thawed in D14, the golf course behind my house had over a foot on it yesterday and now it's patchy with lots of grass showing in places

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Slightly amazed by how quick it thawed in D14, the golf course behind my house had over a foot on it yesterday and now it's patchy with lots of grass showing in places

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Will you be like the kid at the end of "The Snowman" when he melts?

• Advertisement

But, how big was it before the show drift buried him up to his waist.

Good point! Still dinky though

Advertisement