Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Starting to get cabin fever here. There's been a bit of a thaw but our driveway is impassable. Hoping there will be enough of a thaw overnight to get one of the cars out. In desperate need of supplies, and living in the middle of nowhere. Driveway is sloped downwards so thinking we've a better chance of getting out than back in. We can just leave the car outside if we can't make it back. Road isn't great but is passable. There's been a handful of cars on it today, though they are really crawling. No sign of anyone attempting to clear the road, but we're used to being forgotten about around here. Very rarely get the road gritted in the winter. We'll all starve to death if we're waiting around for someone to clear the road. Tipp/Kilkenny border.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    NO (not being cheeky

It has been forecast for here too ..[Sandymount] .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

erica74 wrote: »
    He looks like a happy chap!

That's why I like him! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭secman

There are approx 30 houses on our cul de sac road and today 10 of us managed to dig a cars width of the snow off the road from 2/3 of the road and around a bend leading to a breakheart hill , we can now get a run at the hill to get up it.
    The last 3rd being the cul de sac end didn't bother their arse's coming out.
    have to say it was enjoyable, met a few of the new neighbours, 4 years new ! We had 3 to 5 ft drifts down the centre of the road. Beats the cabin fever no end. Horloxed now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Whiplashy wrote: »
    Starting to get cabin fever here. There's been a bit of a thaw but our driveway is impassable. Hoping there will be enough of a thaw overnight to get one of the cars out. In desperate need of supplies, and living in the middle of nowhere. Driveway is sloped downwards so thinking we've a better chance of getting out than back in. We can just leave the car outside if we can't make it back. Road isn't great but is passable. There's been a handful of cars on it today, though they are really crawling. No sign of anyone attempting to clear the road, but we're used to being forgotten about around here. Very rarely get the road gritted in the winter. We'll all starve to death if we're waiting around for someone to clear the road. Tipp/Kilkenny border.

same here. seeing all the posts about farmers clearing back roads, not a chance here, tractors going past alright, no sign of any snow being moved but I guess i just have to accept it is every man for him/herself.......... not a sign of any council or grit on the main-ish road near here either. Regardless going to have to get out tomorrow... dug cars out today so fingers crossed for a decent thaw overnight though some of the dirfts, if they arent moved by tractor or whatever cant see them being passable for a long time....................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Well, cleared some snow off my extension flat roof today. Maybe no need but thought it might be no harm to lesson the load in a couple of place where drifts had built up. On one side there's a couple of feet between our house and neighbour so I threw some of it down there. Big Cyprus hedge of neighbour's along that boundary and overlaps some of the gap, so some of it landed on the hedge, which already had lots of snow on it - I wasn't too worried about the hedge catching it - no impact whatsoever.
    Anyway, got a call from neighbour tonight asking me not to be throwing snow into her property. Eldery lady, who I had called into on Thursday to make sure she was ok, call me if you need anything etc....no good deed goes unpunished I suppose. Have always tried to be a good neighbour but there you go. It was her perception I suppose. Apologised, and told I'd call in tomorrow and clear any snow that went into her place, which was entirely unintended. Probably will have melted by then even if there is any. As for a few extra clumps of snow on top of the Cyprus hedge......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Well, cleared some snow off my extension flat roof today. Maybe no need but thought it might be no harm to lesson the load in a couple of place where drifts had built up. On one side there's a couple of feet between our house and neighbour so I threw some of it down there. Big Cyprus hedge of neighbour's along that boundary and overlaps some of the gap, so some of it landed on the hedge, which already had lots of snow on it - I wasn't too worried about the hedge catching it - no impact whatsoever.
    Anyway, got a call from neighbour tonight asking me not to be throwing snow into her property. Eldery lady, who I had called into on Thursday to make sure she was ok, call me if you need anything etc....no good deed goes unpunished I suppose. Have always tried to be a good neighbour but there you go. It was her perception I suppose. Apologised, and told I'd call in tomorrow and clear any snow that went into her place, which was entirely unintended. Probably will have melted by then even if there is any. As for a few extra clumps of snow on top of the Cyprus hedge......

You're history's greatest monster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Surprised at the thaw ...had about two foot in back garden and it’s all gone apart from a few drifts ..it all disappeared in less than 12 hours. No rain and temperatures was close to 0 most of the day with highest being 2 ...
    Still huge drifts and roads blocked a few miles away from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Was that the same situation in Dun Laoghaire as well?

Whereas for Cork everything that could go right did go right. We got loads of streamers from Tuesday 6pm to Thursday morning due to se and e winds and then Storm Emma, which was to be a snow to rain event on the south coast, differed from the models and turned into 18 hours or so of snow. Accordingly, instead of Friday morning seeing our 10cm or so of snow melting, instead Friday was a snow day with another 15cm or so added throughout the day. Got to 25cm or so lying in mid point of my garden and much higher elsewhere.

Even if we get a super easterly or northerly next winter we will he highly unlikely to do half as well down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Ive no idea what day im going to be able to drive out of this estate. I live in Mac Uilliam in Tallaght at the back of the estate, there is about 300 meters of 1 Meter thick snow and ice between me and the main road. I dont think i'll be making it out for work on Monday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

harr wrote: »
    Surprised at the thaw ...had about two foot in back garden and it’s all gone apart from a few drifts ..it all disappeared in less than 12 hours. No rain and temperatures was close to 0 most of the day with highest being 2 ...
    Still huge drifts and roads blocked a few miles away from me.

That's mad. Wonder how it melted so quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Here's my slideshow on the Beast From The East 2018 in Ireland containing some of many photos I and you guys had taken throughout the event including Storm Emma! I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks very much for watching in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Very well done Syran, a great reminder of what an extraordinary couple of days it has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Ive no idea what day im going to be able to drive out of this estate. I live in Mac Uilliam in Tallaght at the back of the estate, there is about 300 meters of 1 Meter thick snow and ice between me and the main road. I dont think i'll be making it out for work on Monday morning.

Any chance your estate would work together and dig?

It's what most estates do.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

The last few days have got me interested in reading some of the history of snow storms. The experts here are probably familiar with this one but the Iran blizzard of 1972 was one extraordinary event.

https://twitter.com/otusscops51/status/959772253268389889

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Here's my slideshow on the Beast From The East 2018 in Ireland containing some of many photos I and you guys had taken throughout the event including Storm Emma! I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks very much for watching in advance.

Nice work sryanbruen.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Would I be right in saying this event would be exceptional in any country on earth? I doubt theres any urban area in the nordic or east european nations or russia or canada or usa that deal with the level of snow some inland leinster counties did in such a small timeframe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Just for those of you who dont frequent this forum often. There is a model discussion thread where long term forecasts are analysed. If you look at the winter model discussion thread (now closed) you will see this event was being discussed in yhe early days of February and by 12 February (a good week or so into the discussion) Gabeeg posted the below chart for 26 February which proved pretty darn accurate. Worth looking at that thread from time to time even if it can be a bit technical.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Any chance your estate would work together and dig?

It's what most estates do.

If only they had a track machine up that way. ;):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Must say it’s absolutely shameful the lack of roads the council are clearing around Athboy in Meath the seem to have the attitude once the main roads are cleared they forgot about secondary routes,unless you have a 4x4 ur risking having your bumpers ripped off the car with the ridges in the Center of the road and if this slushy mess freezes cars will be destroyed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Skedaddle wrote: »
    It's really washed away in Cork City at this stage other than a few very sheltered and hilly spots which are a little slippery. I certainly wouldn't suggest driving at speed just yet, but it's basically gone.

I assume you are referring to the centre of Cork city here? I imagine the suburbs are still not as clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Suncroft kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Snowing again near tipp town

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Raining all day in cork basically. Still plenty of snow on my garden but it is melting and is basically slush just untouched so looks like snow really. Roads are cleared but estate roads are still slush. It's pretty slippy because of that too. If this freezes tonight will be deadly. Had to clear the snow from just outside my drive as meltwater and rain were getting stuck in the leftover snow mounds causing a mini flood outside!

If it had stayed cold then we would be buried down here, plenty of heavy, constant rain showers.

RTE published a photo of mine from the Christmas ‘09 cold snap (that we thought was crazy until Dec 2010 came along) in early Jan 2010.

No luck this time, bit disappointed. Loads of photos of feckin’ snowmen, igloos and people’s stoopid kids though. :P :pac: Wish they’d have more variety. One I sent in was of a car getting a push. I think it’s interesting to see a wide variety of happenings that are a consequence of the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Unfortunately Carrigaline, Cork is prone to flooding in normal times. It hasnt disappointed tonight already. From the centre of town is a road that goes off to Crosshaven ( passed the Gaelic Bar and Dunnes, next up Lidl )

It is this road and surrounds that has flooded and I have never seen it like this. To the right over the wall is the actual river, what you are looking at there is THE ROAD ..

lidl_flood.jpg

The road marked yellow is the one flooded:

lidl_flood2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

The main difference between now and 1982 storm was that it was mainly the east of the country which was affected especially Dublin and Wicklow.

Secondly the freeze lasted 8 days after the massive fall ..temperatures up to - 20 in places at night including Glasnevin in Dublin 11 where the met office is.

Although most of the north and west escaped with very little this time around, the East and South got badly hit.

In 2010, there was less snow for some +Dublin and Wicklow Mountains had metre high drifts for wnearly two months however) but the temperatures were way lower...for weeks on end in November and December in Dublin. Cork got practically zero snow in November where as Dublin got hammered on both occasions.

So 2010 overall was much more disruptive and INFINITELY colder...no comparison on that front.

Snow wise 2018 much better than 2010 but temperatures much more benign oveall in comparison to 2010. So, in my opinion, 1982 and 2010 win out.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying this event would be exceptional in any country on earth? I doubt theres any urban area in the nordic or east european nations or russia or canada or usa that deal with the level of snow some inland leinster counties did in such a small timeframe

We’re still being treated to disdainful commentary from continental Europeans unfortunately, both on the news and social media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

There's also plenty of flooding happening in cork city at the moment from the River Lee overflowing! Only saw that now.

Advertisement