Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The main difference between now and 1982 storm was that it was mainly the east of the country which was affected especially Dublin and Wicklow.

Secondly the freeze lasted 8 days after the massive fall ..temperatures up to - 20 in places at night including Glasnevin in Dublin 11 where the met office is.

Although most of the north and west escaped with very little this time around, the East and South got badly hit.

In 2010, there was less snow for some +Dublin and Wicklow Mountains had metre high drifts for wnearly two months however) but the temperatures were way lower...for weeks on end in November and December in Dublin. Cork got practically zero snow in November where as Dublin got hammered on both occasions.

So 2010 overall was much more disruptive and INFINITELY colder...no comparison on that front.

Snow wise 2018 much better than 2010 but temperatures much more benign oveall in comparison to 2010. So, in my opinion, 1982 and 2010 win out.

1. -20c has never been reached in Ireland in the official record series
    2. The lowest in 1982 was -14.6c at Birr on January 12th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

aidanodr wrote: »
    I assume you are referring to the centre of Cork city here? I imagine the suburbs are still not as clear?

Still snowed in in Cobh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

_Dara_ wrote: »
    We’re still being treated to disdainful commentary from continental Europeans unfortunately, both on the news and social media.

Wow really? did they see pictures of kildare and dublin?? I don't see how anyone, from anywhere, living in any altitude, couldn't be impressed/shocked by the drifts seen in towns in kildare wicklow and dublin..these are also in relatively low land areas, in march, in a country that rarely experiences snow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Any chance your estate would work together and dig?

It's what most estates do.

haha yeah, most of them couldnt even be bothered to dig out their front doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

tikkamark wrote: »
    Must say it’s absolutely shameful the lack of roads the council are clearing around Athboy in Meath the seem to have the attitude once the main roads are cleared they forgot about secondary routes,unless you have a 4x4 ur risking having your bumpers ripped off the car with the ridges in the Center of the road and if this slushy mess freezes cars will be destroyed :(

I share your frustration but I don’t entirely agree with you. This was an exceptional event for Ireland and our resources and infrastructure are not designed for such an event. Added to that is that Ireland is somewhat unusual for developed countries in that it has so much one-off housing meaning that’s secondary and tertiary roads here are bound to have at least one dwelling on them which is not always the case in other countries. I think we have trust that everyone is doing their very best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

There's also plenty of flooding happening in cork city at the moment from the River Lee overflowing! Only saw that now.

Yip .. Carrigaline at it also .. road next to lidl, river is actually on the right, thats the road

lidl_flood.jpg

The main difference between now and 1982 storm was that it was mainly the east of the country which was affected especially Dublin and Wicklow.

Secondly the freeze lasted 8 days after the massive fall ..temperatures up to - 20 in places at night including Glasnevin in Dublin 11 where the met office is.

Although most of the north and west escaped with very little this time around, the East and South got badly hit.

In 2010, there was less snow for some +Dublin and Wicklow Mountains had metre high drifts for wnearly two months however) but the temperatures were way lower...for weeks on end in November and December in Dublin. Cork got practically zero snow in November where as Dublin got hammered on both occasions.

So 2010 overall was much more disruptive and INFINITELY colder...no comparison on that front.

Snow wise 2018 much better than 2010 but temperatures much more benign oveall in comparison to 2010. So, in my opinion, 1982 and 2010 win out.

Agree. But did west and north really 'miss out'?? Im not sure but I thought I recalled people in clare and donegal and armagh saying they were getting a lot of snow
    Leinster and munster got by far the worst of it but I thought it seemed like a fairly widespread event

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Just started snowing heavy in south east Kerry now,
    Biggest chunks of this event so far,would not expect this to last long though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Some other heavy snow events for your interest:

... a few years ago, can't say for sure what year, around 2015, coastal Alaska got severely buried by several metres of snow in towns such as Valdez.

... in late January of 1971, a week of heavy lake effect snow about 50 miles north of Toronto dropped 2-3 metres of snow in some parts of the Georgian Bay snow belt. This persisted on the ground for most of February in higher parts of the region stranding some rural people in their homes for weeks (except that most of them had snowmobiles so they were able to get to aid in nearby villages)

... snowfalls of that kind are fairly commonplace events in Great Lakes snow belt areas from time to time, another memorable event was the Buffalo Blizzard of late January 1977, generally six to ten feet of snow and paralyzing drifts accompanied by -15 C temperatures ... the source of that was Lake Erie.

... I can also recall very high snow packs and plow drifts in London, Ontario, in January 1976, something similar to what I see in the thread pictures only right in the middle of a fairly large city (300,000 people). There were 15 foot high snowbanks after plows "cleared" the residential streets and it was chaos for weeks. Fire hydrants were marked with tall red poles with flags on them so that crews would have some idea where to look.

... A blizzard that hit central Ontario April 2-3 1975 left behind 27" of snow that then blew into alternating bare spots and 8' drifts and that gradually froze solid as a strong April sun combined with record cold temperatures thawed the surface each day then it would freeze solid overnight. People were stranded in community centres and church halls as the storm hit on a weekend and trapped many Toronto weekend skiers and cottagers returning from (ill-advisedly) opening their summer cottages for the season. I was living in a rural area there and spent about a week immobilized in my house, as the roads could not be cleared.

... Final recent note, there were some very heavy snowfalls in New England and eastern Canada in the latter half of the winter of 2007-08 that produced some huge snow depths in Maine and New Brunswick, I seem to recall five feet -- this was not drifting snow just an accumulation from successive storms.

They always talk about historical blizzards in New England and Long Island with snow up to the second storey windows, the most famous of them would be March 11th 1888 and a storm in late February of 1717 that may have been one of a series. Some prairie and northern plains states blizzards of the 1880s are also legendary. If I want to see three feet of snow, all I have to do is drive for fifteen minutes up the nearby west-facing slopes of the Selkirk Mountains and that's what I find at the top (more like a foot down here and that's starting to thaw). Picture to follow ...

444594.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Westmeath council has diggers up an down my road all day clearing 6-7 foot snow drifts,

and I,m on what you would call a backroad. I think they are doing a great job, so fast

after the end of the main snowfall.

And they were at this since 6. 30 this a.m. I believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

wakka12 wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying this event would be exceptional in any country on earth? I doubt theres any urban area in the nordic or east european nations or russia or canada or usa that deal with the level of snow some inland leinster counties did in such a small timeframe

Exceptional for a country with a climate similar to ours maybe, certainly not for countries with climates where it happens on a regular basis. For example, check out Youtube for videos of snow events showing what USA and Canada experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

seems like the melt is on.

i think 2010 was much more disruptive aswell. i was living in dublin at the time and the packed ice on the pavement didn't melt for over a week. it was total carnage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

But ye had enough bread all the while MT.... Thats why our event trumps those!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Would I be right in saying this event would be exceptional in any country on earth? I doubt theres any urban area in the nordic or east european nations or russia or canada or usa that deal with the level of snow some inland leinster counties did in such a small timeframe

Not really. Plenty of cities in Central Europe get falls like this or more and deal with it. Services may be disrupted a bit but they get things moving. Drifting does pose locally but in general it would not be a general shut down.

That said, Geneva has some struggles with snow a few days ago too. They have the resources to get roads moving, plus you have the mandatory winter tyres on cars Nov - April, which really helps keep roads moving.

Imo most county councils did very well in this event, and the very best they could possibly be expected to in such an incredibly severe nationwide snow storm. Same to the weather service, emergency services, and general community

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The remnants of the cold air are still with us waiting to clear north. Just enough that a little more sleet and snow developing than anticipated along that front moving north over the southern half of the country at the moment. Perhaps a bit of a top up on current accumulations of snow for inland locations.

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Deblowin

Heavy snow is so rare in Ireland that the thaw is a painful thing - like leaving a dear friend you might not see again.

Where we live, the event is not quite over. We haven't made it to the village since Tuesday. We are not able to use a car because deep drifting snow covers our roads. On the hill to the village this evening it is hard to find lying snow less than 50 cm. We set off with our young kids but met neighbours on foot who said there was no bread or milk left. The amount of snow is staggering.

People locally compare the present conditions to 1982. There is no other reference in my lifetime. I was a 14 year old then and interested in weather. In Harold's Cross where we lived there was a couple of cold spells in the late seventies. But '82 was different because of the snow depths and the drifting. I also remember the excitement leading up to it - nothing like this week in the media - but the odd article in the Evening Press suggested something big was coming and there was a period of sustained dry cold. The RTE 9 o'clock TV forecast on the evening of the first blizzard was the only other time in my life I felt certain of frontal snow - I stayed up the whole night waiting. The amount that fell over the two nights was a surprise at the time but totals were variable, even around Dublin. Snow depths where I live now seem similar to Harold's Cross in '82. The feeling of it is familiar too, the sheer superabundance and the sense of the world being different. Not being able to do your normal thing. Relying on neighbours. Talking to strangers on roads that noone can drive on. These are other gifts of big snow. Anyway there is still lots of it to play with if you live near the Dublin hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

_Dara_ wrote: »
    We’re still being treated to disdainful commentary from continental Europeans unfortunately, both on the news and social media.

A Polish fella got stuck on the road outside our house yesterday, driving a Citroën berlingo, thought he would be "grand", wearing a hoodie and a pair of snicker bottoms, no coat or hat or anything like that. I was thinking he must be that "polish lad" everyone is talking about, you know the one who's laughing at the whole of Ireland?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Unfortunate contrast in news headlines on the BBC in my browsers drop down list:

Lidl supermarket looted after digger used to attack building
    follwed by:
    Ice skating fun breaks out on Dutch canals

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Theres been a lot of bored people the last couple of days. Note to all the midwives, don't look for time off around late November I see a big spike in the birthrate in parts of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

froog wrote: »
    seems like the melt is on.

i think 2010 was much more disruptive aswell. i was living in dublin at the time and the packed ice on the pavement didn't melt for over a week. it was total carnage.

I think the misinformation going around then about liability if you tried to clear paths and someone fell led to a lot of paths not being cleared. People this time had more cop on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Just started snowing heavy in south east Kerry now,
    Biggest chunks of this event so far,would not expect this to last long though.

I doubt that it`s snow that falling. How high are you asl?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

But ye had enough bread all the while MT.... Thats why our event trumps those!

Seem to recall running out of stuff, probably beer more than bread.

In the mid-70s we had no internet of course so were relying on the one or two TV stations for forecasts, often they did okay but the April 1975 storm was not well forecast, it looked like being a 3-5" sort of clipper event and turned into an all-out raging blizzard.

My connection to weather goes way back to my high school days (1960s) and through university but it just so happened that I was doing other things from about 1972 to 1975 and had no data to look at (hard to imagine now). My only clue as to the forthcoming weather was watching the 2 minutes of TV weather and trying to imagine what the maps and "progs" looked like. Then I got tired of that and got a job in a weather office. We used to draw our own prog maps and thought the models of the day were reliable to 48h sometimes. Any sort of a five day forecast was something you did by extrapolating already subjective 72h and 96h forecast maps. The wonder of it all was that sometimes that worked. I don't try that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.independent.ie/entertainment/flashback-1982-ireland-comes-to-a-standstill-during-the-big-snow-34341111.html&ved=2ahUKEwjDtaLEh9HZAhWnL8AKHQdQBwEQFjABegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw2nQov4mRWUFu_dVC0LeOpS&ampcf=1

-19.6 in Glasnevin, Dublin 11 in 1982. Read the article.

And yes, the French and the German still refer to Ireland as the British Isles in their tv reports. On purpose.
    Very insulting language.

Wales got nothing in comparison to Ireland yet all the reports were coming from there on the French news.

2010 way more disruptive...three weeks plus ilof chaos on East coast and really cold temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.independent.ie/entertainment/flashback-1982-ireland-comes-to-a-standstill-during-the-big-snow-34341111.html&ved=2ahUKEwjDtaLEh9HZAhWnL8AKHQdQBwEQFjABegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw2nQov4mRWUFu_dVC0LeOpS&ampcf=1

-19.6 in Glasnevin, Dublin 11 in 1982. Read the article.

And yes, the French and the German still refer to Ireland as the British Isles in their tv reports. On purpose.
    Very insulting language.

Wales got nothing in comparison to Ireland yet all the reports were coming from there on the French news.

2010 way more disruptive...three weeks plus ilof chaos on East coast and really cold temperatures.

That's a misprint, Met Éireann say nothing below -14.6c in their agrometeorological bulletin for January 1982. The lowest all-time temperature in Ireland is -19.1c.

Nor should you ever use newspapers as a source for weather or statistics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Wow really? did they see pictures of kildare and dublin?? I don't see how anyone, from anywhere, living in any altitude, couldn't be impressed/shocked by the drifts seen in towns in kildare wicklow and dublin..these are also in relatively low land areas, in march, in a country that rarely experiences snow

Yeah, there was a German guy scoffing on the 13:00 news. And then just commentary on social media. No critical analysis from these people at all.

Someone posted this in the thread a few days back and it’s worth a repost. What goes into clearing the roads in snowy countries:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JudithFlanders/status/958072934396039168?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Some footpaths in town are absolutely lethal. Getting home from the pub could be interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Now that the worst is over...

I work for one of the major Irish utilities, won't say which one, but you can probably guess, and I just want to chime in with a few words of thanks-not just directly to you MT, for your forecasts both here and on FB, but also to all the other skilled forecasters here, who dispense what is often bad news,
    without drama, overstatement, and always in a measured way, often a week or more ahead of the (understandably more conservative) professional meteorological bodies.

While we as a company would rely on the likes of Met Eireann in an official capacity, your collective hard work has allowed me (in my job, which involves planning for, and dealing with such widespread weather issues and interruptions to service) to plan ahead at a local level, to be ahead of the curve when it comes to preparedness, and to hit the ground running when it comes to getting people back.

What's said here obviously doesn't form the be all and end all of how we deal with such events, but I just want to reiterate that the work all of you are doing is making a real difference, not only to individuals, but to communities and towns across Ireland-so much so that MT, at the risk of embarrassing you, you are now referred to in planning meetings, as "that chap in Canada, what is he saying this morning?"

Thanks again!
    Some other heavy snow events for your interest:

... a few years ago, can't say for sure what year, around 2015, coastal Alaska got severely buried by several metres of snow in towns such as Valdez.

... in late January of 1971, a week of heavy lake effect snow about 50 miles north of Toronto dropped 2-3 metres of snow in some parts of the Georgian Bay snow belt. This persisted on the ground for most of February in higher parts of the region stranding some rural people in their homes for weeks (except that most of them had snowmobiles so they were able to get to aid in nearby villages)

... snowfalls of that kind are fairly commonplace events in Great Lakes snow belt areas from time to time, another memorable event was the Buffalo Blizzard of late January 1977, generally six to ten feet of snow and paralyzing drifts accompanied by -15 C temperatures ... the source of that was Lake Erie.

... I can also recall very high snow packs and plow drifts in London, Ontario, in January 1976, something similar to what I see in the thread pictures only right in the middle of a fairly large city (300,000 people). There were 15 foot high snowbanks after plows "cleared" the residential streets and it was chaos for weeks. Fire hydrants were marked with tall red poles with flags on them so that crews would have some idea where to look.

... A blizzard that hit central Ontario April 2-3 1975 left behind 27" of snow that then blew into alternating bare spots and 8' drifts and that gradually froze solid as a strong April sun combined with record cold temperatures thawed the surface each day then it would freeze solid overnight. People were stranded in community centres and church halls as the storm hit on a weekend and trapped many Toronto weekend skiers and cottagers returning from (ill-advisedly) opening their summer cottages for the season. I was living in a rural area there and spent about a week immobilized in my house, as the roads could not be cleared.

... Final recent note, there were some very heavy snowfalls in New England and eastern Canada in the latter half of the winter of 2007-08 that produced some huge snow depths in Maine and New Brunswick, I seem to recall five feet -- this was not drifting snow just an accumulation from successive storms.

They always talk about historical blizzards in New England and Long Island with snow up to the second storey windows, the most famous of them would be March 11th 1888 and a storm in late February of 1717 that may have been one of a series. Some prairie and northern plains states blizzards of the 1880s are also legendary. If I want to see three feet of snow, all I have to do is drive for fifteen minutes up the nearby west-facing slopes of the Selkirk Mountains and that's what I find at the top (more like a foot down here and that's starting to thaw). Picture to follow ...

<snipped pic for quoting>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

I doubt that it`s snow that falling. How high are you asl?

110 asl, Just went out in it to make sure, Definitely snow as my black jacket that had chunks of white on it and the accumulation on the car that i cleared off this evening indicates.

Would expect this to not last long though, and it is not accumulating on clear ground...

Advertisement