Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

wakka12 wrote: »
    Yeh 8 years was way too long a wait for our second cold spell after 2010 :( Heres hoping the next isn't nearly as long away
    It doesnt even have to be storms or streamers for me..Id love even just a cover of 3 or so inches for a couple weeks during winter to make everything pretty and white..cold temps hovering around 0- minus 2 so it doesnt melt ..an inch top ups every few days
    I guess Im just hoping for a different climate really:pac:
    I would consider myself lucky that I live in Cavan especially during winter. Every winter we get 4-5 decent snowfalls, the last really big one was in March 24 th 2014 where there was a good 9-10 inches of wet snow in the Cavan/ Monaghan area and northern Ireland and down the road from meath on it was just heavy rain. It always amazes me the difference in temperatures as you go from Dublin further inland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Yeh 8 years was way too long a wait for our second cold spell after 2010 :( Heres hoping the next isn't nearly as long away
    It doesnt even have to be storms or streamers for me..Id love even just a cover of 3 or so inches for a couple weeks during winter to make everything pretty and white..cold temps hovering around 0- minus 2 so it doesnt melt ..an inch top ups every few days
    I guess Im just hoping for a different climate really:pac:

I'd argue the opposite, having two historic cold/snow events in the space of 8 years is excellent by our standards, add Winter 2009/10 and March 2013 in the north and thats four major events in a decade. Before 2009 the only decent snowy spells I'd experienced in the 20 years previous were in December 2000 and 1995 and neither of those were really historically notable and were over within a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Gonzo wrote: »
    thaw is really getting aggressive here now, can hear the water drops from the gutters everywhere now.
    Heavy rain D14. Wouldn't be surprised if snow is mostly gone by morning

Yeah, things have really accelerated here in the last few hours. There is a lot of water on the ground.

I'd argue the opposite, having two historic cold/snow events in the space of 8 years is excellent by our standards, add Winter 2009/10 and March 2013 in the north and thats four major events in a decade. Before 2009 the only decent snowy spells I'd experienced in the 20 years previous were in December 2000 and 1995 and neither of those were really historically notable and were over within a week.

EDIT: Wait! You mentioned 2009. :)

And don't forget, we actually had very decent spell of cold weather around Christmas 2009 stretching into January. That tends to get forgotten about with the 2010 extravaganza. I saw the lake near my parent's frozen for days on end for the first time in my life.

I can show y'all photos of the inch-thick ice on the road in front of my parent's house on Stephen's Day 2009 (if I can find them). I've never seen anything like it before or since.

So that's 2009, 2010 and 2018. Not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Estate road totally cleared of snow here in cork city suburb now, was totally white yesterday and this afternoon. Had heavy rain for most of the evening which washed it away. Still thick enough snow in my garden and on top of my walls, however the big Field across from me is starting to show some green :( looking out my window the snow is still on my extension roof but it doesn't have that bright yellow effect making everything seem brighter then it had. Back to the drab dark rainy Irish days we are used too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭EMPotatohands

So so sad all my snow is being washed away but looking forward to a bit of normality. So much snow is hard with an almost 2 year old but we’ve spent so many hours out enjoying it all. Went sledding and built an igloo today before the rain started. Memories me and her daddy will have forever!! There was so much snow in Ballyfermot. Loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

In central Donegal and to be honest, it's probably the best week we have had weather wise since Xmas, yes, cold, but dry and no snow for a snowball, never mind snowman:(

My parents live in a part of the west that was bypassed by Ophelia, The Beast AND Emma. Very anticlimatic for them.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    My parents live in a part of the west that was bypassed by Ophelia, The Beast AND Emma. Very anticlimatic for them.

Must be neighbours:D as Ophelia was the same, told that morning take day off, got breezy in the evening but that was about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

raiders11 wrote: »
    In central Donegal and to be honest, it's probably the best week we have had weather wise since Xmas, yes, cold, but dry and no snow for a snowball, never mind snowman:(

Head up Errigal if you want snow

• Advertisement

Rodin wrote: »
    Head up Errigal if you want snow

No need go up Errigal as all the lowland area around it, have had a good downfall of snow. Northern half of Donegal has got plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

I'd say plenty of people got caught out on back roads tonight.
    Most roads were passable earlier today as the flattened drifted snow was compacted but tonight with the thaw the tyre tracks are gone slushy so cars are getting beached.
    I had to walk nearly a mile home in a shower of wet snow/hail.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Light snow in Castlebar currently, -3.0 DP.

Action shot!

3_D770915-9_D05-410_D-96_E7-316_C0_A7_C8_D55.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

This was on Thursday in Navan. The big melt has begun and I surely hope it goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

WT effin F ! Woke up to a fresh blanket of snow (NW). I thought this was supposed to be over, or at least on its way out :( I'm tired of winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭hellyeah

Same here in roundwood wicklow, fresh snow last night and we are still stranded.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,542 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Big Melt in Galway city and surrounding areas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

What a thaw since this time yesterday! Big patches of the ground are now visible but there's still big patches of snow left to melt.

I see on the radar the NW are getting some more snow as are parts of the UK.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

My little cul de sac is full of high slush and driveway about a foot of snow. Time to get digging if I want to get to work tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Eeeeeeewwwww, GROSS! :P

9_F670_D8_A-593_E-45_B2-9_E85-2_D9275_C35_ED0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

erica74 wrote: »

I see on the radar the NW are getting some more snow as are parts of the UK.

Light snow here. Wasn't expecting that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Light snow here. Wasn't expecting that!

Now, I could be wrong as I'm definitely not an expert but I don't think it started out as snow but by the time it got up to you, it had turned to snow.

Hopefully not much snowfall left and the thaw will set in for you properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Really hoping that the thaw kicks in big time today. Back to work tomorrow and I commute on a motorbike (Kildare to Dublin).

Could take the car if stuck, but its an extra hour or more each way.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Still hard to believe the last 5 days happened. How many near misses have been debated in this place over the years only for the whole Country to get nothing short of blasted.

Not the whole country! In my parent's corner of the west, it virtually bypassed them. They got a sprinkling of snow on Wednesday (which is nothing new for them) and that was it. And they're well inland so it wasn't because of the moderating effects of the Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Light snow starting to fall Sligo town..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Basq wrote: »
    Light snow starting to fall Sligo town..

A good dusting here in South Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Raining here. Lots of thawing too.

I'm fed up of the name Beast from the East now. Ever since it caught onto the media, everyone has been saying it and making jokes about it. It would've been much better if only weather enthusiasts used that term.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Still 24cm of snow here in Dublin 16 on the level/away from drifts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ballsdeep69

Advertisement