Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

An Ri rua wrote: »
    The majority of workplaces closed Wed-Friday, at least THursday and Friday. No need for teacher bashing. I see negativity and BS creeping into this thread. Catch yourselves on.

It's unreasonable to be asking for volunteers to help clear snow without involving those who are actually employed by the school.
    Why should a staff member stay at home while a parent volunteer gets shovelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

https://ie.sportsdirect.com/yaktrax-ice-grippers-764796?colcode=76479603&gclid=CjwKCAiAz-7UBRBAEiwAVrz-9SIB8w6C1imqIzaL4URckjPeQCm8-fN79hIUAVTAOfx7TaqPw4i20hoCEhYQAvD_BwE

These are great. I bought them in 2010 for 25 sterling from amazon and they got their first run this year.

Very happy with how they worked and a lot cheaper now than when I bought them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

much of the snow is melted here now. Patches of green already in the garden and level snow is only about 4 to 6 cm deep. The majority of this should be melted here by this evening as it's currently raining to help thaw even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Rodin wrote: »
    It's unreasonable to be asking for volunteers to help clear snow without involving those who are actually employed by the school.
    Why should a staff member stay at home while a parent volunteer gets shovelling?
    Most schools, if they were to obey health and safety guidelines, would remain closed. The pressure being brought to bear is by parents, some of whom have to go back to work, others who want to for leave reasons.
    Threads normally go this way, after events. I imagine the government over-reacted with the red and Orange alerts also?

We're hardly out of the woods and already there is teacher bashing and, very hard to fathom, Defence Forces bashing. Right down to questioning the will of the individual personnel? Seriously distasteful posting.

Boards, keyboard warrior heaven.

Most schools, if they were to obey health and safety guidelines, would remain closed. The pressure being brought to bear is by parents, some of whom have to go back to work, others who want to for leave reasons.
    Threads normally go this way, after events. I imagine the government over-reacted with the red and Orange alerts also?

We're hardly out of the woods and already there is teacher bashing and, very hard to fathom, Defence Forces bashing. Right down to questioning the will of the individual personnel? Seriously distasteful posting.

If you read correctly you'd have seen the request to help clear snow came from the SCHOOL. Not from parents. With the threat of the school not being opened if the snow wasn't cleared. It is not unreasonable to ask why the staff of the school are not clearing that snow rather than children's parents.

''We got a text from my daughter's school last night asking for volunteers to help clear snow around the paths and entrances to the school, otherwise it'll have to remain closed on Monday.
    Seeing that it's been closed since Tuesday evening, I have a feeling there will be no shortage of volunteers with their shovels later. ''

As regards the west/northwest the government got it completely wrong.
    No need to shut down the northwest as well as the south east. Hospital patients cancelled. Shops shut. Schools shut. Transport stopped.
    All completely unnecessary in the north west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

_Dara_ wrote: »
    What was so magical about 2010 was how bright the countryside was on moonlight nights. I was living with my parents at the time in the rural west of Ireland. We actually got very little snow but what did fall stayed frozen on the ground for weeks. It was amazing to see the usually dark nighttime countryside illuminated on moonlit nights, to be able to see faraway hills. Even when there was no moon, it was quite bright. Irish snow is so often accompanied by overcast conditions so this was very special.

I 101% agree with you, the sunshine is what made 2010 for me, never mind the snow. Every month bar July was sunnier than normal, January, February, April, October, November and December record breakingly so for parts. To me, it was the ideal year for sunshine with the majority of places having between 1600-1800 hours of annual sunshine compared to the average of 1200-1400 hours.

Those snow days with the sunshine like 27 and 28 November 2010 here were so beautiful and magnificent. I long for a repeat of those conditions any day.
    I wonder why the ecm was showing the pv reorganising earlier on then. I hope we get one more easterly blast- a long shot, i know. I miss the ice days and seeing everything white. Maybe if i had witnessed as much as some people here had, i might think differently:pac:, though. I really hope you're right about low solar activity meaning we will see severe cold outbreaks sooner rather than later in the future. Although i doubt we will see anything quite like the last few days ever again in Ireland.

There's several possible reasons nacho libre:

1. The ECM hasn't a clue what it's talking about. You've seen what some models have been like through this entire event - and historically too with previous years - in bringing back the Polar Vortex and our normal zonal pattern. The GFS is usually very evident of doing this in particular.
    2. With intense blocking already in place, the Canadian Warming could be ruining the blocking and making the Polar Vortex regain itself. The problem with saying this is that a Canadian Warming has never occurred in February before back to 1950-51 when stratosphere records began as well as a Canadian Warming has not occurred since December 2000.
    3. Just like with the major SSW, the model is struggling to pick up on where we will go. The Canadian Warming occurred on 18th/19th February so it's been the minimum duration now (around 10 days to 2 weeks) for impacts on the troposphere to take place. Therefore, this needs watching.

I can tell you with high confidence, extremely high at that, we will see cold Winters in the next few years or at least Winters with notably cold spells at some points. I've shown evidence on solar activity why I say this and why it's literally next to impossible to not get the cold spells. Every solar cycle around these parts have significant cold at some point. Maybe we won't see snow depths like what Emma brought for another 20-30 years though never rule anything out with our climate but significant cold and 2010 styled snow, a definite occurrence if my theories are correct.

I wouldn't rule out another easterly, though it is highly unlikely.
    igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Care to predict what that could mean for us weather wise?

There's a few possible scenarios.

1. Polar Vortex regains itself as a result of the warming ruining the blocking like it did in previous cold spells such as that of February 2009. This in turn leading us to a mild, unsettled pattern. Whilst this is certainly possible for April, for March historically, it has zero chance - at least being mild that is. Even with the zero chance, I still say you can't rule anything out like maybe it'll be unique? We have had some very unique seasons the past few years.

2. With the Polar Jet so far south to us and blocking in place, a northerly or northeasterly looks to be favoured. This would be March 2013-esque cold, daytime temperatures generally between 4-7c, minimums around -2 to 2c in rather dull and wet conditions. I hate to say this (since March 2013 is my personal least favourite month) but to me this is the most likely scenario.

With the state of the zonal winds, I don't think we'll be turning to a westerly any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Gonzo wrote: »
    much of the snow is melted here now. Patches of green already in the garden and level snow is only about 4 to 6 cm deep. The majority of this should be melted here by this evening as it's currently raining to help thaw even further.

Even my snow-mad daughter was cheering at the sight of the melting snow. Too much is too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

200motels wrote: »
    I have to say here in Waterford City they kept us all informed through Map Alerter, also the main roads were kept open, unfortunately my car is still buried in snow and slush on a side street and still cannot move it.

Never heard of mapalerter before, just installed it. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Snow melting like fcuk here in the Lucan region of Dublin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I definitely preferred 2010 and wins hands down for a number of reasons.

- colder temperatures
    - Irish Sea streamers were far more impressive covering much larger areas
    - The snowflakes themselves were generally much bigger and more satisfying to watch.
    - IOM and Welsh shadows were mostly short lived in most areas with winds varying numerous times during the days and nights.
    - Some sunny but bitterly cold days allowed us to go out and enjoy the snow without fear of it melting.
    - Lack of wind made the event more enjoyable to take part in.
    - 2010 was a two parter and delivered almost a month of excitement.
    - it occurred in November and December.

The Beast and Emma was still a very good event but I would have preferred it to last a bit longer. It was really Emma which brought the majority of the snow to a lot of places, but Emma also resulted in a much quicker introduction of milder air resulting in the quick thaw we have now. I would have really liked one or two bitterly cold and dry days after Emma to properly see the full extent of the snowfall in all it's glory without any snow melt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

haminka wrote: »
    How cost-effective would it be to build flood defences in a Sahara? You are truly ridiculous if you expect Ireland having the same level of readiness as countries where snow and ice are standard.
    Btw, I come from a country like that myself. It was -27 in the nights and -11 with sharp winds during the day plus constant snow where I come from this week. But I know the difference between my home country and Ireland so I know that you can hardly expect drivers in Ireland to change to winter tyres in November or October because winter and for the sake of three days of snow you can't have a fleet of snow ploughs and diggers etc. sitting somewhere just in case. The machinery needs to be services and maintained and used to be any good. And you just don't get that over here to justify the expense.

Especially as when there is no snow, winter tyres and snow chains really damage roads! You need to be 100% sure the snow is coming to use them. We often can’t be sure of that in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

We're free!! A couple of hours digging. The chairman of the residents association never so much as opened their door let alone lend a hand.This was the same person moaning about how they'd get to work tomorrow. Thanks to us they now can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Curious how many people on here would be expected to clear the snow at their work. No way it'd be asked or expected where I am. I work in IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Still without power, heat and water here. Slowly running out of food in the area too.

It’s getting very difficult at this point with the latest estimate from the ESB that power will be back tonight (unlikely, if their last 4 estimates have been anything to go by).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

- colder temperatures
    - The snowflakes themselves were generally much bigger and more satisfying to watch.
    - IOM and Welsh shadows were mostly short lived in most areas with winds varying numerous times during the days and nights.
    - Some sunny but bitterly cold days allowed us to go out and enjoy the snow without fear of it melting.

The Beast and Emma was still a very good event but I would have preferred it to last a bit longer. It was really Emma which brought the majority of the snow to a lot of places, but Emma also resulted in a much quicker introduction of milder air resulting in the quick thaw we have now. I would have really liked one or two bitterly cold and dry days after Emma to properly see the full extent of the snowfall in all it's glory without any snow melt.

Totally agree. Where I am there was a tiny window of snowwy goodness on Thursday afternoon between the first snowfall and storm Emma. We figured the 4pm indoors warning was erring on the side of caution so went out to the memorial gardens in kilmainham for a strollabout 4.30. It was heaven. On our way back at 6pm or so the winds were starting to whip up. I've spent most of my time pining for more of that since.

Very happy to see nobody thanking Rodin’s posts. Swing and a miss.

h2005 wrote: »
    Curious how many people on here would be expected to clear the snow at their work. No way it'd be asked or expected where I am. I work in IT.

My point is they're happy enough to ask parents above their own staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I see we're deep into the melt, and I'm not talking about the thawing snow. I can't wait for Stage 5 to be over:

https://twitter.com/deskofmatthew/status/969384504300367872

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

- colder temperatures

I completely agree on all accounts
    Why were the IOM shadow so strong this time round?
    In south east dublin where I am in 2010 it was non stop snow..but this time round before storm emma came south east dublin was missing out hugely compared to west or north dublin. If storm emma hadn't come, D14/D6/D4/D2 would have totalled about only 4 or so inches while it was non stop blizzards from streamers a few kilometres north or west, I think wicklow and wexford were very dry before emma came too

Very happy to see nobody thanking Rodin’s posts. Swing and a miss.

Just because you don't like an opinion doesn't mean it's trolling.
    Personally I think this hysteria has gone on long enough.

The ''hide in the house and wait for it to go away'' approach is shocking.

• Advertisement

There no indication that teachers aren’t getting involved in the digging. They’re probably looking for as many hands as they can get. A teacher replied to you on this thread very thread to say that they’d be getting involved in the digging. And asking people to help is helping people LEAVE their houses. What are you on about? Talk about unfocused grousing.

A truly pathetic swipe at teachers here. Perhaps you should ask for volunteers to dig that chip off your shoulder?

There no indication that teachers aren’t getting involved in the digging. They’re looking for as many hands as they can get probably. A teacher replied to you on this thread very thread to say that they’d be getting involved in the digging.

A truly pathetic swipe at teachers here. Perhaps you should ask for volunteers to dig that chip off your shoulder?

I am well fit to carry my own load thanks very much.

I am well fit to carry my own load thanks very much.

Well, you seem to be floundering.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Lepidoptera

Do you know that staff weren't included in the request for volunteers? Shoveling large areas by hand is also a huge amount of tiring work. Severe weather events often require people coming together a bit and volunteering some of their time and energy where they are able to in order to help each other and their community out.

One of the good thing about events like this is that it can bring out a bit of community spirit. My area would still be snowed in except for all the neighbours who have been working together over the past 24 hours to try to clear a path out. It's very, very hard work though. Even with a large gang of us, we've barely managed to make the roads passable for the very determined. The work will continue today, but it's hard going with a lot of very sore backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The same people who won't help to clear snow at schools would probably be the first to run to a solicitor if their little darling slipped and fell on it.;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Thawing hasnt been the quickest here in Clondalkin. Roads are partially cleared, but there's still 2/3ft drifts in areas with at least 10-15cm snow around the place. No buses running in my area either and its misty and drizzling rain. Bit miserable to look at. Temp 4c dp 3.5

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

Plenty of teachers getting involved too.

In any case, we are employed to teach not to shovel.

Not the place to discuss it but this attitude that schools are solely the responsibility of the teachers rather the whole community (including the teachers) is becoming more and more common. Teachers teach. That’s the job description. Anything beyond that is voluntary and most are only too happy to contribute. But a well run school is a community effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Just because you don't like an opinion doesn't mean it's trolling.
    Personally I think this hysteria has gone on long enough.

The ''hide in the house and wait for it to go away'' approach is shocking.

It worked though, what with the snow melting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

More heavy precipitation totals from 3 March 2018.

Places have already exceeded their whole March monthly averages now including Dublin Airport with more than 125% of its average March rainfall.

Cork Airport - 43.8mm
    Dublin Airport - 33.6mm
    Johnstown Castle - 30.2mm
    Roches Point - 24.4mm
    Dunsany - 21.5mm

Data from Met Éireann.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Myself and my older daughter are digging the car out as I have to take my youngest to hospital tomorrow. The amount of burly men who put their heads down and hurry by as quick as they can in case they are asked to give a hand. Lol

Advertisement