Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Tomorrow will come.

Today even. I'm up so early I'm confused what day it is.

Kermit, do you even sleep boy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

wonski wrote: »
    This is not about what it is, but what it can be I think.

No point in declaring red alert after.

I get that, but what a red warning does now, to schools, to businesses, to transport, to elderly people.... I see nothing in any model to warrant a RED warning for the north west.

Anyway, don’t mind me being a grumpy killjoy. I love snow as next as the next 34 year old toddler so here’s hoping for snowmageddon now they’ve gone and issued a red warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

Anyone know why the snow drops off radar just before it gets inland in wexford :( gorey dry all night but my water stopped working not too long ago .......

I get that, but what a red warning does now, to schools, to businesses, to transport, to elderly people.... I see nothing in any model to warrant a RED warning for the north west.

Anyway, don’t mind me being a grumpy killjoy. I love snow as next as the next 34 year old toddler so here’s hoping for snowmageddon now they’ve gone and issued a red warning.

I think what's happening later should affect the whole country. I could be wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Kermit, do you even sleep boy?

Don't you know that frogs are mostly nocturnal.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pp_me

Snowing in Waterford the last hour.. Looks about 3 inches more overnight, but we had quite a good thaw yesterday in the sun. Roll on the blizzard.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

pp_me wrote: »
    Snowing in Waterford the last hour.. Looks about 3 inches more overnight, but we had quite a good thaw yesterday in the sun. Roll on the blizzard.

Strange thing is snowing away mad in Waterford but I wasnt even going to get up because nothing was showing on the radar..quite a surprise to see it snowing away...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Decent fresh cover of snow in Dublin 16 this morning over yesterdays snow. Around 3 to 4cm of additional snow. -3.3c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Decent fresh cover of snow in Dublin 16 this morning over yesterdays snow. Around 3 to 4cm of additional snow. -3.3c atm.

It's feckin bitter in rathfarnham. Looks like a couple of cm here too.

I must say, the grit that my brother got out of his job done an amazing job on what we cleared yesterday. The pathway is completely still clear

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

That’s the thing with it being late Feb and early March, the sun is a good bit stronger than in midwinter.

A decent fall overnight here in West Dublin too. A bigger fall than the night before!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭RustyGate

aurora 527 wrote: »
    Strange thing is snowing away mad in Waterford but I wasnt even going to get up because nothing was showing on the radar..quite a surprise to see it snowing away...

The radar appears to be useless, it's way off where is actually snowing and where isn't. Looking at the sequence for here tonight you would think it's been pelting snow all night, but in actual reality no. About a half cm on the car since midnight (which is the sum total since 4am yesterday morning), and the road which was white from yesterday has thawed back to black again. Looks like ME need to scrape the snow off the front of their radar.
    south Dublin city.

Met says - 7C in Cork. That's out by the airport though, higher altitude. Don't think it's that in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Does south Dublin get much of the blizzards today or will those northsiders continue to stroke our stuff ðŸ˜

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Does south Dublin get much of the blizzards today or will those northsiders continue to stroke our stuff ðŸ˜

That is the million dollar question! Most forecast models are giving a lot of snow for south Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Nice extra covering in Sallins, filled the gaps !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Snowing in Galway city at the moment with 3cms of lying snow
    Temp -4.5C in a biting NE’ly breeze
    DP -5.7C

I would think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pp_me

aurora 527 wrote: »

The netweather radar is a bit better, shows that it probably should be snowing in Waterford

I would think so.

For the sake of the hype, I hope so! :P

• Advertisement

ME predicting a pesky 5C here tomorrow. Big slushy mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Ya I just got up for work at 8 but I do not think it's safe driving on that ... its still snowing but radar does not show much .

For the sake of the hype, I hope so! :P

Oh don't

Gonna be glued to the radar today

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭RustyGate

Would not be the least bit surprised if it fell as rain or sleet, having spent a day watching snow thaw under a red warning for a further 25cm yesterday that never came.

Netweather radar is showing things much further north that they are

See the ME radar, it looks right

Any idea what would be causing that ?

RustyGate wrote: »
    Would not be the least bit surprised if it fell as rain or sleet.

Very unlikely....for Dublin and the northern 2/3 of the country at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

-5 in South Kilkenny. Just up, very thick blanket of snow on the ground, 2 inches, 3 inches in some parts. It seems to have snowed most of the night, I was up a few times with my dogs because they were all acting a bit weird, and each time I got up, it was snowing. It's snowing now again.

No work today or tomorrow, got all the supplies for the fire yesterday, got food for the dogs, have food for the humans. Hope everyone stays safe, don't be out in the worst unless you absolutely have to be. I'm either going to have to take unpaid leave for today and tomorrow or take annual leave, either way, I'm just shrugging it off, not the end of the world.

Netweather radar is showing things much further north that they are

See the ME radar, it looks right

Any idea what would be causing that ?

Dunno. Maybe ME radar is overly sensitive?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

Here at Mullameen in NE of Westmeath snowing heavily now, we have 20cm snow on flat surfaces. Approx 120m ASL. Temp -4

C635

• Advertisement

Dunno. Maybe ME radar is overly sensitive?

Not too sure, ME shows light snow over sallins, which there is

NW showing nothing over us

Advertisement