Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Rain shower reported at Dublin Airport at a temperature of -4 degC and Dp of -6. Interesting.

Certainly not rain 2 mins up the road

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rain shower reported at Dublin Airport at a temperature of -4 degC and Dp of -6. Interesting.

I think a code error? NOAA was reporting light snow showers for that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Still coming down nice and steady here in Sallins

Good morning for a cuppa and the dog on my knee !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

The strong easterly winds will steadily ease on Friday night and temperatures will be below freezing once again, down to as low as minus 3 degrees but lower over lying snow. There'll be a mix of snow, sleet and rain in the south with further snow showers along eastern and northern coasts. There'll be breaks in the weather but it will remain rather cloudy.

There'll be some brighter weather on Saturday with dry spells developing. The fresh easterly winds will ease for a time but it will remain cold with temperatures from only 1 degree in the east and up to 4 or 5 degrees in the west, coldest over lying snow. The temperatures on Saturday night will be very low again, down to minus 5 degrees.

There'll be rain, sleet and snow showers on Sunday and Monday along eastern and northeastern coasts with temperatures still very low for the time of year as the easterly regime persists. The winds will gradually ease, becoming light by Monday.

The further outlook in to next week is for the cold conditions to persist with light to moderate east to northeast winds and isolated wintry showers.

Judging from this met.ie forecast the East could be in for snow into next week :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

anndub wrote: »
    Really? I have was up with the baby multiple times and it was hammering down every time with limited visibility during gusts. Still the same now. Are things that localised? I'm in the Whitehall/Santry area.

Snow can be. I suppose Dublin is a big enough area. Where I grew up in the west would really highlight how localised snow can be. From plenty of snow to a dusting a few kilometres apart. Even being on a pretty low hill can make a big difference.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Anywhere get no snow?

A few Garda stations, they dry ole crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Paths and roads are looking all the same now in Drogheda. Very windy blowing snow everywhere ..if only I didn't have to work!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Pretty windy here in cabinteely the last 20 mins or so

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Haven't got to look at the charts yet as my phone is acting up but does Emma still have enough strength to get up the east coast past Dublin ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Effectively none in Donegal, as predicted. But should get some tonight.

Fingers crossed. Charts are mostly showing it not reaching us. A couple of charts have it getting this far north. We’ll see. Not a flake so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Moderate to Heavy snow now in sallins

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Wow that is some forecast from MT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Anywhere get no snow?

Arklow. Some heavy graupel showers but no snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mrsgahan

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    A few Garda stations, they dry ole crowd

Nothing much in North cork, thought it was starting last night around 11 but nothing since - very disappointing!

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Lovely covering in Athlone, about 7/8 inches of snow and blue skies....bitterly cold though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Bitterly cold outside Roundwood this morning. It's been -6 here regularly enough over the winter so I'm guessing it's more than that although weather app is saying -4.

Where is the snow? We had more than this in early December. I know I should be relieved but I feel a bit cheated. The roads are totally clear too which is bizarre as we can get snowed in when there's no snow anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

How is Leitrim/sligo area? Husband has to go from Cavan to Sligo for work tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭jds0ur

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I think a code error? NOAA was reporting light snow showers for that time.

Was at the airport for the last 12hrs, can confirm defo no rain, Blizzards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Arklow. Some heavy graupel showers but no snow.

Wicklow. Not even graupel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

leahyl wrote: »
    Wow that is some forecast from MT!!!

"The intensity of snow will likely be somewhat less impressive than yesterday with 5 to 10 cm further amounts."

Why are we hearing about blizzards and warnings from 4pm when MT is saying today will be less impressive . What am I missing here with that forecast ?

jo06555 wrote: »
    "The intensity of snow will likely be somewhat less impressive than yesterday with 5 to 10 cm further amounts."

Why are we hearing about blizzards and warnings from 4pm when MT is saying today will be less impressive . What am I missing here with that forecast ?

MT has broken the possible snowfalls into sections/time periods...you need to add it all up!

Just wondering what people make of this? It’s the Dark Sky app which I have no idea if it’s well-regarded or not. If the temperature goes above freezing, could we have rain instead of snow?

2_A957_F36-15_B9-4_B0_D-8143-84069557216_B.png

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Woke up to unreal cold in our house, never feels that Cold in this house before.

Temp -3
    Real feel-10
    Humidity 60%
    Dew point -9.
    Wind 35 km/h northeast.

Heading over to read MT's weather now so I can do my:eek: face.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It's actually in effect now! As of 2300 yesterday.

http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

Yes, apologies, you are correct. The west will still be affected later. I think it's wise to close the schools.

Bitterly cold outside Roundwood this morning. It's been -6 here regularly enough over the winter so I'm guessing it's more than that although weather app is saying -4.

Where is the snow? We had more than this in early December. I know I should be relieved but I feel a bit cheated. The roads are totally clear too which is bizarre as we can get snowed in when there's no snow anywhere else.

I totally get your disappointment but you’ve just been unlucky. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

MT has broken the possible snowfalls into sections/time periods...you need to add it all up!

Ah ok sorry I'm not as clued in this early ha thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Some models want to leave Dublin out of the situation tonight, probably good coz there’s already nearly a foot here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Unreal in Clondalkin here. 18cm and 25cm drifts at walls

I can confirm this. Maybe even higher tbh. Still snowing too

Far more snow here than in 2010

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

jo06555 wrote: »

I interpret that as during the early part of the day, before the evening snowfall

Advertisement