Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Limerick has a dusting of snow in the past two days. Probably no need for a nation wide closure of schools etc.

The exact location of these streamers is very hard to predict. Met took the right decision IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

stooge wrote: »
    30cm on the ground with x2/x3 times more in drifts. whiteout continuing. epic altogether.
    s roscommon

How did you measure the 30cm? Here, in Kinsale we've had constant snow since Tuesday evening and only 18cm on the ground according to the measuring tape. Not doubting you but I'm amazed by 30cm in Roscommon.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Achasanai wrote: »
    In D14, it's been snowing quite heavily all morning, but it doesn't seem to be giving much depth at all. It's very strange.

Been snowing here too in Dublin 16 but it's getting blown away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Kamili wrote: »
    Not in D16.. in fact its pathetic.

there I said it..

Complete non event.

I keep saying this, because that's what usually happens.

Hopefully this one time it goes in our favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Limerick has a dusting of snow in the past two days. Probably no need for a nation wide closure of schools etc.

They have to play it safe. If they got it wrong and a bus load of limerick schoolkids ended in a ditch there would be joe duffy outrage.

I'm sure the kids ain't complaining !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Huge drifts now starting to build here in kildare especially in country areas or quiet spots.
    Heavy snow for the last 5 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Miles better than 2010 for snowfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

d'Oracle wrote: »
    No offence Pauly, but you seem like you are trying to win the "most unanswerable question" competition.

This depends on where you are, how windy and snowy it gets, how vulnerable the lines near you are to falling trees, and blind luck.
    Indeed. I'm in suburban Dublin, so the answer for me is "not very likely". My previous house, which was also suburban Dublin, would have been at risk of losing water because it relied on a communal pumphouse.

My parents in rural Wicklow will be fine for water, but phone/internet and electricity are at risk.

The only person who can really answer this question is you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Nabber wrote: »
    Lads, this is better than 2010...
    There I said it.....

Depends where you are
    I'm in a part of Dublin where this even doesn't come close to 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

as im dubious of the weather radars maps..now... can people post any links to live webcams from their area...?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Many areas which currently have very little or no snow will get decent snow later on today and tomorrow from Storm Emma. The snow starved areas of Wicklow are going to do particularly well.

Even the parts of Dublin and Meath which have not faired as well as other nearby locations could see significant top ups in the next 24 hours.

This is because this is a frontal event and does get interrupted by Welsh or IOM Shadows. It's possible we could see regular falls of snow between now and Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Wind has picked up in N/Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

jasper100 wrote: »
    Complete non event.

Not quite the Day after Tomorrow but a lot of snow here in Cork. Roads are lethal. Company cancelled work till monday. I'd call that an event. A happy event with no work !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    The exact location of these streamers is very hard to predict. Met took the right decision IMHO.

I agree - even though where I am has had practically nothing, there is no way Met or anyone else could have predicted the streamer activity & wind change. The schools are closed, businesses shut down and it's just a bit cold out, but they absolutely had to make the calls they made. The opposite would have been a disaster, someone might lose their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cmurph00

Elnin09 wrote: »
    DAA

All flights cancelled from 16:00 today until Saturday....worst of blizzards due this evening at 18:00pm.
    Where did you read this? Need to decide is I head to airport or not

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

any pics from Dublin mountains?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

My back garden just now..had a lot of melt yesterday so most of it is from this morning.. im guessing over a foot..with up to two feet near fences...Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Sun is out in force here on the Tipp/Kilkenny border. Wind is bad and a constant attempt at snowing, but very light. The sun is thawing yesterday's snow an awful lot quicker than the fresh snow is falling :( We have water, but most of our neighbours pipes have frozen. It's bitterly cold. Very strange combination of weather. Still very underwhelmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Snowing here southeast Wexford all morning, light. Started to get heavier in last 30 mins.

Temp-3
    Real feel -11
    Humidity 85%
    Dew point -5
    Wind39km/h from east.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

Surprisingly, the UK's national grid is reporting that gas supplies are running low which is resulting in industrial users being taken off line.

I'm just wondering are we OK as a large % of our gas comes from the same supplies.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/mar/01/uk-is-running-out-of-gas-national-grid-warns-freezing-weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Kamili wrote: »
    Not in D16.. in fact its pathetic.

there I said it..

In d16 myself and I've about 10 cm in my garden so not sure why you have none

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

danois wrote: »
    How exact are the timelines they are giving? I’m in work and been told I need to finish my shift so I’ll be leaving at 4pm. Have a 30 min walk home in good conditions. So I’m guessing at least double that today. Will I be ok do you think or should I just leave an hour early and risk disciplinary in work???

Edited to add I’m in bray.

Thanks.

On a side note. I’ve found this thread very informative so thanks to everyone for the input.
    I would leave earlier than 3 just incase

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

jasper100 wrote: »
    Complete non event.

I need some solpadeine reading posts like this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

leahyl wrote: »
    Aaaw Calibos I feel for you :-( don’t worry, Emma is comin!

Quite the reversal Leahyl wasn't it. Me expecting megatonnes of snow from what looked likely to be the most potent North Easterly Streamers in a decade with Wicklow forecast to be the Epicentre and you in Cork hoping against hope that you might get a dusting at some point.

Nevermind my neck of the woods in Bray, theres only a dusting in Roundwood with clear dry roads deep and high in the Wicklow mountains and those folks get snowed for at least a day or two at some point nearly every single year!

Emma better make up for this!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

sdanseo wrote: »
    People in Kildare, Cork, Kilkenny, Drogheda who have posted pics of significant snow- you need to realise that this is light compared to what Emma could drop later, risk increasing exponentially the further south you are.

Heed the warnings. You ain't seen nothing yet.

Is it going to reach drogheda

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

stooge wrote: »
    30cm on the ground with x2/x3 times more in drifts. whiteout continuing. epic altogether.
    s roscommon

Is there any chance you could share a picture of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

AccuWeather says accumulations of up to 1-2 feet in Dublin. We'll see about that. It's close to a foot here so it doesn't sound that outlandish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Checked rte.ie for information re: northwest. No mention of the heavy falls here in Inishowen. Some coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

It just hasn't stopped in Edenderry since yesterday evening. Measured 7 inches at 9am and has been lightly snowing since non stop. Id say since 5pm yesterday we have not had an hour go by without falling snow.

I'm not sure what Emma has forecast for us but even another 10cm with the wind will make it unbelievable. Maybe somebody can give me an expected total for kildare / east offaly.

I reckon if it stopped now and that was it we would have the biggest snowfall I can certainly remember in this area.

Amazing stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Give it another 8 hours :)

I've heard that for the last 48 on here.

TBH I'm sick of it all now - my boss in the US is getting very angry for all the customer events planned this week having been cancelled and I'm bearing the brunt of it.

He can't understand how 18cm can shut down the country. They are used to working in drifts of 18ft over there and still getting on with it.

I tried the "its Ireland we are not made for this", and got laughed at.

Advertisement