Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Oops69 wrote: »
    Please god let it snow In wicklow town and Bray , I get the feeling they're going to crack up with frustration there at this stage.

Why would you want it to snow?

Miserably cold, everything closed and you can't even go outside.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

demakinz wrote: »
    It just hasn't stopped in Edenderry since yesterday evening. Measured 7 inches at 9am and has been lightly snowing since non stop. Id say since 5pm yesterday we have not had an hour go by without falling snow.

I'm not sure what Emma has forecast for us but even another 10cm with the wind will make it unbelievable. Maybe somebody can give me an expected total for kildare / east offaly.

I reckon if it stopped now and that was it we would have the biggest snowfall I can certainly remember in this area.

Amazing stuff.

Quadruple that, potentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Up by Cork Airport this morning, better known as the Ballygarvan Alps now. DXMh44iXkAESJrV.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Nabber wrote: »
    Lads, this is better than 2010...
    There I said it.....

It isn’t though. Winter 2010 is unparalleled in my lifetime. Weeks of lying snow, icicle formation, thick ice forming on canals, rivers and lakes, and regular decent amounts of snow. This isn’t anywhere close to that in any part of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

Kamili wrote: »
    I've heard that for the last 48 on here.

TBH I'm sick of it all now

You should write an angry letter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

revelman wrote: »
    How did you measure the 30cm? Here, in Kinsale we've had constant snow since Tuesday evening and only 18cm on the ground according to the measuring tape. Not doubting you but I'm amazed by 30cm in Roscommon.

With a shovel :D

we are on an elevated exposed position so admittedly probably more than surrounding areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Still non-stop in Waterford, footpaths are lethal. There won’t be a blaa to be got in the morning boi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

TBH I'm sick of it all now - my boss in the US is getting very angry for all the customer events planned this week having been cancelled and I'm bearing the brunt of it.

He can't understand how 18cm can shut down the country. They are used to working in drifts of 18ft over there and still getting on with it.

I tried the "its Ireland we are not made for this", and got laughed at.

You're OK, American companies in Ireland have to follow Irish employment legislation.

Let him waffle away

Let it snow let it snow let it snow......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Igloo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Suns out in Cork but no thaw. Layer of ice under the snow. (Lough area)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

battering down snow easily for an hour i would say in galway looking at the radar galway could have a lot of snow even before emma arrives!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Nabber wrote: »
    Lads, this is better than 2010...
    There I said it.....

Perhaps in some areas but where I am we have about a foot of snow in 2010, only about 2 inches now! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Completely agree, students in limerick could easily attend school today. Like I said before, sun shining.

Yeah but Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

TBH I'm sick of it all now - my boss in the US is getting very angry for all the customer events planned this week having been cancelled and I'm bearing the brunt of it.

He can't understand how 18cm can shut down the country. They are used to working in drifts of 18ft over there and still getting on with it.

Jesus. Watching people get upset by getting snow or not getting snow is ridiculous. SAD

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

_Dara_ wrote: »
    It isn’t though. Winter 2010 is unparalleled in my lifetime. Weeks of lying snow, icicle formation, thick ice forming on canals, rivers and lakes, and regular decent amounts of snow. This isn’t anywhere close to that in any part of the country.

2010 was better for enjoying the snow as it was generally sunny and calm. Today is a much worse day than anything I can remember from 2010 on windiness alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭championc

Look on the positive side - we would have the same outcome with 1.8cm of snow. They'd never stop laughing if this was the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Miles better than 2010 for snowfall.

No way. The depths are nowhere near as deep as what Dublin and other areas got in December 2010. People have short memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Looking like we might get a few more flurries there in the city in Cork? Or are we now awaiting for storm emma to bury us?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

My back yard here in Kinsale is almost unrecognizable. I spent 3 years in Austria and this compares to anything I’ve experienced there. If Emma brings more we will have the snow coming up to the windows...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Has only paused momentarily in Trim this morning. Still coming down. I dug my car out and cleared my driveway ready for off. Changed my mind and decided that I will work from home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭diarmuid79

Epic Snow at Celbridge all morning, it hasn’t stopped and is getting heavier, just gone over 20cm in the back garden

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

In d16 myself and I've about 10 cm in my garden so not sure why you have none

Never said I had none, I was responding to a poster saying that Its not as good as 2010 here with me.

Deffo don't have 10cm though, more like 4-5cm Wind is blowing it away and there was a significant thaw yesterday, icicles on roofs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Why would you want it to snow?

Miserably cold, everything closed and you can't even go outside.

Weaklings cant go outside.

Are you are weakling Tyson Fury?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Bizarre I just saw Q from Moesha at Dublin Airport on RTE news giving out about the snow

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Dublin meets Game of Thrones. Picture courtesy of Dean Malone, given to FM104.

WilNxlo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It sounds like you need a new boss tbh. What an asshole. It's not like you can control the weather or the national response to it.
    I guess to a certain extent you can't always compare one snow event to another. 2010 saw 28 days of lying snow where I was. That was certainly unprecedented.

If we were to see 3/4/5 foot drifts tonight, then that's also a "once in a lifetime" level, even if the snow melts 48 hours later.

The levels here in D16 are not the same as 2010...yet. The ridiculous snow was never supposed to arrive until tonight, though the red warning calling for an extra 10-15cm of snow overnight never materialised here. We've had 4-5cm since 6pm yesterday, most of that in the last 3 hours. Seems like many other areas got it though.

Currently standing at 12cm total accumulation. We lost 2-3cm over yesterday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

You're OK, American companies in Ireland have to follow Irish employment legislation.

Let him waffle away

Let it snow let it snow let it snow......

Lol easier said than done, he's not under the impression he does, and is now loading a crap load of extra work on me to cover the "time out" for the stupid snow.
    seamus wrote: »
    It sounds like you need a new boss tbh. What an asshole. It's not like you can control the weather or the national response to it.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Been lightly snowing all morning in Kimmage. Not really adding a lot of depth so far but the original fall plus a small bit more is still lying in areas away from the main streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

No way. The depths are nowhere near as deep as what Dublin and other areas got in December 2010. People have short memories!

I assure you I have a great memory and we have had more snowfall in my location than the November 2010 event in two days.

We have had blizzards here. None in 2010.

Really impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Tell him to stop waffling. US has many, many states which are similar to Ireland in terms of being able to handle snow. In fact, it has many, many more that are worse at handling it.

Perhaps, as a boss, he'd be able to understand the fallacy of his business expending lots of money for expensive equipment that is used once every 8 years at best?

Advertisement