Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

WOW “record breaking accumulations she mentioned in the east

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

light snow showers with the odd moderate/heavy burst every now and again. Very slight top ups...if the wind had been half of what it is now I reckon I'd have at least a foot compared to the 4-5 cm average (0-10cm coverage here) due to the wind in these parts.

Pretty much certain we'll get hammered with it tonight but there's always that doubt looking at certain models. Also hoping that MT's prediction of increased streamer activity comes to fruition. Also expecting +50 kt gusts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Met eireann just said on the rte special that the north Western counties could be downgraded but is being monitored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

diarmuid79 wrote: »
    This is nothing like 2010 which nearly lasted a month, this has been going 2 days......

Honestly, why do people care! It's like a big c0ck swaying contest here! Embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

They mentioned there could be record breaking accusations in the east wow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Why is this storm a red alert?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Siobhan Ryan said there could be record breaking snow in south and east

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Does anyone whether Emma make it up as far as Galway? I felt yesterday that the snow line could be Galway-Dublin but I am not sure now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Irish_rat wrote: »

Because a certain amount of snow will be falling to reach that criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I am snowed in at my home in Falcarragh, Donegal with about 8cms of snow which fell steadily from yesterday. Blizzard like whiteout conditions, that even prevented me from walking to the shops in all my ski gear. However my boss in Ardara has nothing. I guess that's why they issue these warnings!

just to back that up, a scene from the South East of England also illustrates how very difficult it is to forecast where snow will be.
    Canterbury is buried in snow, while Dover has no snow.

https://twitter.com/David_P_Moore

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I assure you I have a great memory and we have had more snowfall in my location than the November 2010 event in two days.

We have had blizzards here. None in 2010.

Really impressive.

Aaahh, the main snowfall in 2010 happened in December. So I’m already questioning your memory. ;) Maybe you’re not in the Dublin area but so far in Dublin, the amounts aren’t anywhere close to 2010 levels. And the 2010 spell was long-lasting with beautiful, cold, calm, sunny days between snowfalls to admire the countryside. This event is fun but falls short of 2010 in so many ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Who else just loves met eireanns "risk of thunderstorms" at the coast on the Dublin regional forecast? Convergence zones possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Not sure what up with the Netweather radar but showing nothing here in Kildare when in reality its been snowing persistently all morning and absolutely pounding down at the moment, heavier than at any point yesterday, closest I've ever seen to whiteout conditions outside of the mountains

• Registered Users Posts: 21,933 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

It has been snowing fairly consistently here since early morning , Laois . Main roads grand to travel on , getting to the main roads is another story..
    And the amount of muppets driving with a pile of snow on the roof of the car , give me strength.

Stay safe all .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

So siobhán Ryan just said on Rte the North West might lose its red alert. How would that work with schools who already said they would be shut tomorow?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭molly dolly

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    They mentioned there could be record breaking accusations in the east wow

I'm hoping thats accumulations ;-) We're a peaceful lot in wicklow honest

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Honestly, why do people care! It's like a big c0ck swaying contest here! Embarrassing.

Not believing there is 8 inches of snow and having to check for themselves :D
    g3Nb2Atl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

Pangea wrote: »
    So siobhán Ryan just said on Rte the North West might lose its red alert. How would that work with schools who already said they would be shut tomorow?

Never was a red for the NW. Nothing short of a joke. They need to take a serious look at themselves. A complete new warning system needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

So truly bored of the "it's not a red alert", "everyone is over-reacting" blah blah blah - have you not all worn yourselves out yet? Are you not all too busy hanging out the washing and getting the barbeque lit? We've had nearly a week of it!

4 hours of non-stop snow now in South Kilkenny, we live on a very busy main road and it is so quiet and looks very messy. The dogs are thoroughly enjoying it all. My husband was out chopping wood earlier so we're well stocked up for today and tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Not sure what up with the Netweather radar but showing nothing here in Kildare when in reality its been snowing persistently all morning and absolutely pounding down at the moment, heavier than at any point yesterday, closest I've ever seen to whiteout conditions outside of the mountains

The netweather radar is a disaster- it often shows snow overhead when there is none. I've given up on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Banteer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

leahyl wrote: »
    Siobhan Ryan said there could be record breaking snow in south and east

Snowing since 5 a.m in Waterford. Already epic without Emma!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Never was a red for the NW. Nothing short of a joke. They need to take a serious look at themselves. A complete new warning system needed.

Or the same system not so generously applied. The red alert is valid for a lot of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

erica74 wrote: »
    So truly bored of the "it's not a red alert", "everyone is over-reacting" blah blah blah - have you not all worn yourselves out yet? Are you not all too busy hanging out the washing and getting the barbeque lit? We've had nearly a week of it!

4 hours of non-stop snow now in South Kilkenny, we live on a very busy main road and it is so quiet and looks very messy. The dogs are thoroughly enjoying it all. My husband was out chopping wood earlier so we're well stocked up for today and tomorrow.

That's great for you in South kilkenny . However many areas of the country have zero snow lying on the ground with none in the forecast for today yet all schools and most shops are closed for zero reason. Wait until there really is a red in them areas next time. Complete joke simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Been brought up a few times. Their radar from Belfast seems to be struggling to pick up snowfall through the first bands to its south. Can't be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Euro4 brings Dublin well in to the picture.

18030206_2_0106.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

What's in store for Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Will people give it a rest. In some parts of dublin clearly it is worse than December 2010 while for other parts it isn’t. It all depends on where I’m dublin clearly. I can say in dublin 5 this is worse, we have had nearly non stop snow for 2-3 days. However my folks live on the south side and where they are has plenty of snow but not as much as 2010. All depends on location for showers, we have been fortunate in dublin 5 that we seem to be getting non stop showers / Irish Sea streamers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Irish_rat wrote: »

The storm hasn’t hit yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Pangea wrote: »

They can revise their plans?

Advertisement