Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Been snowing steadily since very early morning here in Waterford City. Like a beautiful winter wonderland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

Snow all morning still in Dublin 15. About 10cm out there and 30cm where it’s drifted in the garden. Some people are out driving. I also spotted some people out with a husky and a sled!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Speak Now wrote: »
    Snowing since 5 a.m in Waterford. Already epic without Emma!!!!!

Same here on the South Cork coast - been accumulating snow since Tuesday evening. Beaten records even before Emma arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Whatever you do, do not fall asleep /

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

wife and daughter walked down to super valu. they said its wedged down there...... and everyones buying booze.

4 day weekend!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Really coming down in the last few mins in waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Will people give it a rest. In some parts of dublin clearly it is worse than December 2010 while for other parts it isn’t. It all depends on where I’m dublin clearly. I can say in dublin 5 this is worse, we have had nearly non stop snow for 2-3 days. However my folks live on the south side and where they are has plenty of snow but not as much as 2010. All depends on location for showers, we have been fortunate in dublin 5 that we seem to be getting non stop showers / Irish Sea streamers

It’s the weather forum. We’re discussing weather, strangely enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

It's funny watching all the RTE reporters trying to be another Teresa Mannion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I am looking on in envy at all these reports. For once Ireland gets it, as most of England misses out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

-4 out here in Ballincollig in Cork,place covered in snow, went to the shop to get bread, that wind is sharp!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

That's great for you. However many areas of the country have zero snow lying on the ground with none in the forecast for today yet all schools and most shops are closed for zero reason. Wait until there really is a red in them areas next time. Complete joke simple as that.

YET.

The same collective thought assumed no snow would arrive in the country whatsoever and of course let everyone know about it on social media. Get over yourself, it's not like they can accurately predict the weather in your town 2 days in advance when you have two powerful systems converging.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

That's great for you in South kilkenny . However many areas of the country have zero snow lying on the ground with none in the forecast for today yet all schools and most shops are closed for zero reason. Wait until there really is a red in them areas next time. Complete joke simple as that.

You have a day off! Enjoy it! I think it was good advice to start the barbeque rather than giving out about Met Eireann's almost impossible task to decide what kind of warnings to provide so as to ensure that risk to life and limb is minimized.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I’ve experienced drifts a few times before in Ireland around where I grew up. It’s not a once-in-a-lifetime thing really. You just need wind to accompany the snow.

Well you will have plenty soon enough Dara.

Theres an awful lot of people on this thread who dont understand why warnings issue in the first instance. These people cannot see outside there own back yard.

I saw what can only be described as two fúckwits this morning breaking the 80k speed limits with no lights on roads that have not been gritted.

By Jesus, when you have serious weather and storm front chugging in from the Bay of Biscay and hitting Ireland full on when temperatures are currently -2, its time to get idiots off the roads before they kill themselves or others.

ANYTHING you have already experienced is only a starter. The main course is on the way. If its underwhelming, fine, you can make your complaints then. But you havent been served yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

General depth is getting lower and lower here in D9. The wind is just stripping everywhere - about to head out now to see if I can find where it's all gathering :D:D Amazed others in Dublin have large accumulations ignoring drifts, maybe abit of shelter and more snow is building up in those spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

MOD NOTE

There is a dedicated thread for discussing Weather Warnings HERE
    If you want to discuss or comment on the validity of Met Eireann warnings then do it there.
    Filling this thread with circular arguments re same is not on.

Final Warning

Also, if you have an issue with a poster then use the report function - don't backseat moderate or you'll both get a card

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭diarmuid79

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Aaahh, the main snowfall in 2010 happened in December. So I’m already questioning your memory. ;) Maybe you’re not in the Dublin area but so far in Dublin, the amounts aren’t anywhere close to 2010 levels. And the 2010 spell was long-lasting with beautiful, cold, calm, sunny days between snowfalls to admire the countryside. This event is fun but falls short of 2010 in so many ways.

It actually started on the east coast on the night of the 26th November with thunder snow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Snowing here in Co. Waterford since I got up before 7. Wasn't expecting this amount of snow pre Emma.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Its been constant heavy snow here in Waterford City since 7am. Not showing on the radar though which is surprising considering the intensity. I feel we are in the firing lane later when Emma arrives but how much worse can it get than it is now.
    Looking like an historic day which will live long in the memory.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

It's funny watching all the RTE reporters trying to be another Teresa Mannion.

It's all about the drama.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I always counted 2010 as 2 events.
    In Waterford we got heavy snow in the November event. We only got frost from the Greenland express that December. Dublin in December was crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I presume the snow in Cork and Waterford is the beginning of Emma?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

Speak Now wrote: »
    Snowing since 5 a.m in Waterford. Already epic without Emma!!!!!

We live at the foot of the Comeraghs. Had no running water for 2 days now. Not so epic here! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

That's great for you. However many areas of the country have zero snow lying on the ground with none in the forecast for today yet all schools and most shops are closed for zero reason. Wait until there really is a red in them areas next time. Complete joke simple as that.

Then please build a forecast capable of resolving forecasts to such fine tuned resolutions. Honestly people seem to think the weather should be forecasted for their own individual house. That's just impossible. Even large county regions for a weather system like this are highly variable. To complicate it even further people travel even larger distances daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

My front garden in Knock Rochestown, Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

STB. wrote: »
    Well you will have plenty soon enough Dara.

Theres an awful lot of people on this thread who dont understand why warnings issue in the first instance. These people cannot see outside there own back yard.

I saw what can only be described as two fúckwits this morning breaking the 80k speed limits with no lights on roads that have not been gritted.

By Jesus, when you have serious weather and storm front chugging in from the Bay of Biscay and hitting Ireland full on when temperatures are currently -2, its time to get idiots off the roads before they kill themselves or others.

ANYTHING you have already experienced is only a starter. The main course is on the way. If its underwhelming, fine, you can make your complaints then. But you havent been served yet.

I’m not underwhelmed. But... I’ve experienced snow drifts before in Ireland. Should I pretend otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    It's all about the drama.

Also the anchor is extremely annoying, cuts across and talk over everybody.
    Anchor: Asks Question.
    Reporter: Answers Question...stops
    Anchor: Cuts across with some other rubbish talk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i presume Tralee will get away with nothing but a bit of cold, beautiful day out there, not a flake of snow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

I don't think so

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Wicklow has no snow that’s nuts. Wicklow gets it when no one does no?

Coastal Wicklow rarely gets snow. Bray has had some snow. Wicklow Town, Arklow have had less than a cm of graupel & nothing in last 30hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

No Emma is just hitting Cornwall now.

Advertisement