Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Does anyone have an idea of when the storm / blizzard might hit Dublin. Working today and just want to be out in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Pangea wrote: »
    So siobhán Ryan just said on Rte the North West might lose its red alert. How would that work with schools who already said they would be shut tomorow?

They wouldn't open tomorrow anyway - iirc the day after a red warning, schools have to check their buildings and get sign off on whether it's safe to re-open.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

abacus120 wrote: »
    I have a feeling bray/greystones is not going to see much more snow from this

The forecasts later are for frontal snow which is different from the streamer off the sea snow which we missed out on. By all accounts we will get lashed out of it later as long as it doesn't fall as sleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Still snowing, north east meath. Unbelievable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

diarmuid79 wrote: »
    It actually started on the east coast on the night of the 26th November with thunder snow

I know that. There was a spell in November 2010. It ended and things went back to normal for a few weeks before the more full-on events of December 2010 took hold. It’s the December period I’m referring to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

loving the continued, its not snowing in my back garden so whats all the fuss about

its gets more funny when there is a barrel full of indignation attached

I presume the snow in Cork and Waterford is the beginning of Emma?

Nope. Continuing streamer activity. The frontal band of Emma is only near Cornwall currently.

http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/zoom/1242/887/bliksem?zoom=6

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

28377790_896349267192479_1824109642262353336_n.jpg?oh=f878fa7d243694b07484d5e3ec578677&oe=5B4BB781

28472000_895868983907174_2215796695289562842_n.jpg?oh=35c5b18f46e5554d7907aebe4133027d&oe=5B4E25DA

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Kamili wrote: »
    I've heard that for the last 48 on here.

TBH I'm sick of it all now - my boss in the US is getting very angry for all the customer events planned this week having been cancelled and I'm bearing the brunt of it.

He can't understand how 18cm can shut down the country. They are used to working in drifts of 18ft over there and still getting on with it.

I tried the "its Ireland we are not made for this", and got laughed at.

Tell him the pubs are closing in places now , everyone knows how the Irish love a Sup , when the pub close you know the doo doo is real

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Or the same system not so generously applied. The red alert is valid for a lot of the country.

They nailed it 2 or 3 days ago when they applied the various warning levels to counties and adding counties to the correct warning level if/when needed.

Kerry probably needs a red warning later but not now ... there is no snow, light winds and the sun is shining ... and yet we are on a red level warning since 23:00 last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Gwildor wrote: »
    We live at the foot of the Comeraghs. Had no running water for 2 days now. Not so epic here! :D

Yeah neighbours watwr froze but still going here. Usually -6 is my threshold.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,295 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

i presume Tralee will get away with nothing but a bit of cold, beautiful day out there, not a flake of snow

Unlikely to get away with it tonight that far south.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Mid Monaghan here and a late arrival to the red warning. Didn't really feature in forecasts but we have 6 to 7 inches generally, and just took a little venture out. Won't be going anywhere too soon as my lane has several parts that have almost 3 foot of snow. Bloody water supply is frozen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I’m not underwhelmed. But... I’ve experienced snow drifts before in Ireland. Should I pretend otherwise?

Just hold fire until it happens. Lot of impatience on this thread! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

Apologies for asking, I've lost track of this one and too many pages to read! I'm on high ground near macroom. So far we have seen very little. Very little snow on the ground here, -2.5 and sunny. I'm off work but have animals to look after on the farm. What time is it likely to hit us and is it still a severe event or are there downgrades.
    Thanks!! And for those who have snow, hope you are all enjoying it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just saw 3 lads walking up my road with six packs of beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

pnDR0Gfrj

Haven't seen this in a long time, Raging would love to let them grow, but 2010 they took the gutters with them, not falling for that again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Tell him the pubs are closing in places now , everyone knows how the Irish love a Sup , when the pub close you know the doo doo is real

Kenny's in Lucan Village isn't even opening today. Sh1t just got real!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Closest we've got in Mallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭Heroditas

leahyl wrote: »

Doesn't sound like they have enough if that's all they have :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Unlikely to get away with it tonight that far south.

to be fair Tralee is always super mild, never gets any extremes, Desmond ended up being just a windy day here and we never get any snow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

That a light shower so far today , just started really pouring down again now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

2010 vastly superior snow-total wise in south coastal dublin but was a much more benign cold spell in a certain sense. Never felt cold at all during that historic cold spell with light winds and vertical snowfall. What makes this epic for me so far is the strength of the wind and low temps. The conditions we had last night are extremelyyyy rare in my neck of the woods, -2 deg E gale with 45 kt gusts and occasional whiteouts are definitely a 1 in 30 year event for these parts. Looking forward to tonight, should get really nasty after 00:00. Light snow blowing now

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

leahyl wrote: »

Its a day for the high stool :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭otherfrog

vRBgf9f.jpg

I think this has surpassed 2010... and the main event is yet to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Kamili wrote: »
    I've heard that for the last 48 on here.

TBH I'm sick of it all now - my boss in the US is getting very angry for all the customer events planned this week having been cancelled and I'm bearing the brunt of it.

He can't understand how 18cm can shut down the country. They are used to working in drifts of 18ft over there and still getting on with it.

I tried the "its Ireland we are not made for this", and got laughed at.

Feel sorry for you but I'd honestly simply give your boss the number of the Government offices and let him complain there. Yep, I come from a country where this would be an exciting and beautiful winter time. Talked to my Mum this morning where they just had -27 during the night, it's been snowing for days and it didn't stop anything there but we are well used to it. On the other side, she's putting a raincoat on and worries about my safety and health when I'm not bothered about few raindrops after 18 years in Ireland. It's a different perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Roads around my area (fairview, marino) aren't bad at all, fairly windy but thats all so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭win2one

I think Dublin Bus jumped the gun as most main roads in Dublin CITY have been clear since yesterday ....and still are .

Well done to the self employed delivery guys milkmen ,breadmen ,newspaper delivery guys etc.,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

The other thing that people seem to forget in making comparisons with 2010 and 1982 is that those events happened in December and January.

Today is the 1st of March!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Dublin Bus saying they won't be operating tomorrow.

Advertisement