Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Winds are getting more sustained and intense here in Cabra, D7 at the minute. Should continue to rise all evening and overnight, which will add a really dangerous element to the snow - the wind is both making falling snow drift, but also lifting the powdery surface snow up and blowing it around, worsening an already bad visibility. Here's what the max gusts will be until 3pm tomorrow:

arpegeuk-52-39-0_vup5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭thomasj

Just been announced on rte no Dublin bus services tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

When you compare it to the UK, they seem to get it much worse, much heavier snowfall

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

continuous streams of snow into Co. Down all morning, drifting in the wind, according to NetWeather seem to be coming from north of the Isle of Man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

pnDR0Gfrj

Haven't seen this in a long time, Raging would love to let them grow, but 2010 they took the gutters with them, not falling for that again

What, like these beauties? :D
    154350_10150138252197538_6068931_n.jpg?oh=763e784bd52562b95dbc967315168b57&oe=5B12581A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭Heroditas

win2one wrote: »
    I think Dublin Bus jumped the gun as most main roads in Dublin CITY have been clear since yesterday ....and still are .

Well done to the self employed delivery guys milkmen ,breadmen ,newspaper delivery guys etc.,

Yeah but buses don't just navigate main roads in the city. The roads out my way are lethal and a bus would not be able to handle them. A Jeep or van would but they're not nearly as big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

STB. wrote: »
    Just hold fire until it happens. Lot of impatience on this thread! :)

I’m not remotely impatient. :confused: Are you mixing me up with someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Thats a bit drastic from Dublin Bus cancelling tomorrows service, unless they expect this to be much much worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ok going on about how bad it’s gonna be in Dublin - it’s the south and east Keelin! Sheesh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

2-3 foot drifts against the ditches here in Kildare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Some of the roads the buses have to drive on are absolutely lethal, they'd be mad to continue services. They don't only drive along the N11!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Are people failing to realise the worst is still to come?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Gintonious wrote: »
    Thats a bit drastic from Dublin Bus cancelling tomorrows service, unless they expect this to be much much worse?

It is going to be worse. We've only just got the first sprinkling so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

homolumo wrote: »
    Snowing here in Co. Waterford since I got up before 7. Wasn't expecting this amount of snow pre Emma.

Me either! I'm not too far from Waterford City, it's non stop here for nearly 5 hours now. If this is the pre-Emma less serious weather then I dread to think what Emma will bring. All tucked up anyway and hope everyone heeds the warnings and gets inside before 4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

100 percent agree. I understand the need for the red warning for the south east but nationwide is an over-reaction. Like I said, my dad is a secondary school teacher, he thinks it is a joke.

I can only assume he is not a geography teacher. I will be interested to see what he thinks tomorrow evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Been snowing pretty much constantly here for the last 12 hours or so in Celbridge. Wind is starting to pick up now too, next 24hrs are gonna be interesting to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

win2one wrote: »
    I think Dublin Bus jumped the gun as most main roads in Dublin CITY have been clear since yesterday ....and still are .

Well done to the self employed delivery guys milkmen ,breadmen ,newspaper delivery guys etc.,

I'm in D7 (10-15 min journey from CC) and the roads look dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

The Cork Examiner and the Echo will not be printed tomorrow - the first time since the burning of Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

The other thing that people seem to forget in making comparisons with 2010 and 1982 is that those events happened in December and January.

Today is the 1st of March!

It's not. I'm listening to Christmas FM. Have Yourself a Very Merry Christmas is on. They don't do March.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

UK is getting it nasty but there are some areas with serious accumulations here also. Would say there are local readings of 25-30cm in localised areas of the east, south east and south. Was never expecting more than 15cm out of the convective event here, and I ended up with about 2/3 inches so a bit less than my expectations but actually lucky to have gotten that with this Easterly Gale

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Light snow here in Clondalkin. It's been the case for the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

There's a storm coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

-2 in Sligo
    No snow so far today
    Ice on the roads is melting turning to slush

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I'd venture to say it's worse now in D15 than in 2010. Maybe it's recency bias, but I think the snow amounts are at least as large right now, but the level of daytime snow today + wind is more than I've seen before.

(Still snowing away here...it varies between heavy bursts with gusty wind and lighter periods. More and more 'gusty' bursts in the last hour though).

2010 did last quite a while though. Not sure this event will be as prolonged, but we'll see I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

optogirl wrote: »
    There's a storm coming!

A snow storm at that.... Hope everyone stays inside for the duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The Nal wrote: »
    It is going to be worse. We've only just got the first sprinkling so far.

My excitement/worry for this is probably a bit lower than others. I lived in Canada for 4.5 years, that was good for learning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

The other thing that people seem to forget in making comparisons with 2010 and 1982 is that those events happened in December and January.

Today is the 1st of March!

People are only mentioning them in response to those saying that this trumps 2010. I’m not even super impressed with the time of year. The latest I’ve played in decent snowfall was in April of 1990.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

That a light shower so far today , just started really pouring down again now

Can see my house in this video. Hello neighbour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

For people asking when snowfall from Emma will hit them, this is a good way to check: https://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

Advertisement