Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    Apologies for asking, I've lost track of this one and too many pages to read! I'm on high ground near macroom. So far we have seen very little. Very little snow on the ground here, -2.5 and sunny. I'm off work but have animals to look after on the farm. What time is it likely to hit us and is it still a severe event or are there downgrades.
    Thanks!! And for those who have snow, hope you are all enjoying it!!

I'm also in Macroom but close to town, the wind has definitely started to pick up...going by charts, it looks like from 3pm the snow will commence properly, we really have gotten away with anything major up to now, hard to believe it's going to change in the next few hours. My parents in cork are snowed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

Belting down here in North County Dublin. It's mental! Haven't seen anything like this before!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

If you look at the radar on netweather at the moment there is a very big system passing over Brittany in France right now. I presume this is whats on its way to us?

iH9X3H

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Can someone link the website that shows the satellite progress of the snow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

My husband put Rudolph out in our front garden - Rochestown, Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Johann. wrote: »
    Belting down here in North County Dublin. It's mental! Haven't seen anything like this before!

Blowing a gale and show drifting all over the place. I've never seen snowfall like this and I include 2010 in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Are people failing to realise the worst is still to come?

& the same muppets will be on here later claiming its a disgrace they werent warned ... #1982

• Registered Users Posts: 3 elainee402

In Blessington about an hour ago we had just under 9 inches of snow (22cm)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

_Dara_ wrote: »
    People are only mentioning them in response to those saying that this trumps 2010. I’m not even super impressed with the time of year. The latest I’ve played in decent snowfall was in April of 1990.

April 2008 had impressive snowfalls for how late it was in Dublin.

If you look at the radar on netweather at the moment there is a very big system passing over Brittany in France right now. I presume this is whats on its way to us?

iH9X3H

That's Emma alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Screen_Shot_2018_03_01_at_12_36_11.png

This is the radar image of Emma passing over Brittany

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Gintonious wrote: »
    My excitement/worry for this is probably a bit lower than others. I lived in Canada for 4.5 years, that was good for learning.

Yeah, no doubt one of the things that Canadians learn from snow storms is to not go outside during heavy wind and snow storms?

People often go on about the capabilities of other countries to cope with snow events, but the reality is that most of that kicks in after the snow storms have passed, and the truth is that nearly all countries would shut down and advise people to stay indoors and safe during the storms.

As an example, I was in the Washington DC area one winter, and they frequently get heavy snowfalls in winters, so they're well prepared with snow ploughs and all that. But you were still expected to remain indoors for the first 24 hours after the snow fall, until the authorities could get around to clearing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

Saganist wrote: »
    Blowing a gale and show drifting all over the place. I've never seen snowfall like this and I include 2010 in that.
    It's bananas. Visibility must be very poor. Pubs still open in Swords. :rolleyes:

I've my cans out the back sat on a nice pile of snow. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Second Captain

Was mildly peeved to hear DART was suspended south of Pearse though it only left me with a manageable walk home from Blackrock, not as bad as others.

Passing the stretch between Seapoint and Monkstown I could see why...

443735.jpg

443737.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

aisling86 wrote: »
    I'm also in Macroom but close to town, the wind has definitely started to pick up...going by charts, it looks like from 3pm the snow will commence properly, we really have gotten away with anything major up to now, hard to believe it's going to change in the next few hours. My parents in cork are snowed in.

Went into macroom for water (and beer) this morning. Massive difference between the town and home. From Kilmurry home roads are like ice rinks and plenty snow accumulations even with the sun shining.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Still a nice crisp day in north Wexford-
    No snow just bitter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Love this thread!

Every time I think I've read the latest post, 2-3 more pages have popped up :D

Johann. wrote: »
    It's bananas. Visibility must be very poor. Pubs still open in Swords. :rolleyes:

I've my cans out the back sat on a nice pile of snow. :p

I'm well stocked up ( Food & Alcohol ) and have a perfect seat to view the storm... Stay safe everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Wind is starting to pick up a little near UL now, with a light smattering of a diamond dust in the air.
    I have a feeling this is the start of it, with cloud cover increasing.

Also very interesting that the sound of over flying planes is noticeably louder than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭GooseB

No snow here in east Wicklow, travelled from the north end to the south end of the county yesterday along the N11 and not a thing. Hard to believe it listening to the reports on the radio all day about how badly everyone got hit by the snow when it was so dry and sunny outside. RTE said Wicklow was amogst the worst hit on the news last night as they reported from Roundwood - a high location. I guess listing all the areas unaffected makes a dull story. Still bone dry here today but bloody freezing with that wind. Still waiting for what's supposed to be coming later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

This is the radar image of Emma passing over Brittany

That looks mental!!

How long before it hits the South of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Mad snow all morning on the westmeath/ meath border. Had to go to the shop for some essentials and was a very dodgey drive. Very limited visibility and car getting stuck a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    People are only mentioning them in response to those saying that this trumps 2010. I’m not even super impressed with the time of year. The latest I’ve played in decent snowfall was in April of 1990.

No. 1982 I remember well. The Big Snow with actual blizzards.

You might be better impressed by the end of today especially given the time of year it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

MJohnston wrote: »
    Yeah, no doubt one of the things that Canadians learn from snow storms is to not go outside during heavy wind and snow storms?

People often go on about the capabilities of other countries to cope with snow events, but the reality is that most of that kicks in after the snow storms have passed, and the truth is that nearly all countries would shut down and advise people to stay indoors and safe during the storms.

As an example, I was in the Washington DC area one winter, and they frequently get heavy snowfalls in winters, so they're well prepared with snow ploughs and all that. But you were still expected to remain indoors for the first 24 hours after the snow fall, until the authorities could get around to clearing things.

Precisely. Was just listening on local radio here in South Cork to a woman, who works in a pub, who can't get into work because of the snow. Her boss wants her to come in because so many people who have the day off have gone down to the pub. That's Ireland for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

So far this morning we've seen 4 kids & 2 adults take a tumble & 2 kids bawling after snowballs in the face. They'd be far safer in school & work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

LookingFor wrote: »
    I'd venture to say it's worse now in D15 than in 2010. Maybe it's recency bias, but I think the snow amounts are at least as large right now, but the level of daytime snow today + wind is more than I've seen before.

(Still snowing away here...it varies between heavy bursts with gusty wind and lighter periods. More and more 'gusty' bursts in the last hour though).

2010 did last quite a while though. Not sure this event will be as prolonged, but we'll see I guess!

Snow depths may be around the same outside of drifts, 10cm, or 4 inches in proper measurements. But it's the wind that's making it feel worse so far, few kids out playing at this stage, many crying off due to the cold and their faces being blown red raw. It's been pretty persistent since I got up this morning too, and looking at a time lapse I set up, pretty much throughout the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Are people failing to realise the worst is still to come?

No I'm not ...... when the first snow is predicted to hit Kerry we would be under a red warning for 24 hours already here ... Which is way OTT

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

This is from my balcony. Northside Dublin looking south. Camera pans from Howth in the east, the bay, south to the mountains and ends facing west towards the airport. None of which can be seen mind you.

https://youtu.be/eNPh4TVCNcc

Having problems embedding vids even from laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

C__MC wrote: »
    Still a nice crisp day in north Wexford-
    No snow just bitter

I'm down the road,any exposed surfaces are rapidly drying out. The snow on the roof of my shed is melting as there seems to be a very slight thaw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement