Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

GooseB wrote: »
    RTE said Wicklow was amogst the worst hit on the news last night as they reported from Roundwood - a high location. I guess listing all the areas unaffected makes a dull story. Still bone dry here today but bloody freezing with that wind. Still waiting for what's supposed to be coming later.

They also reported from Stepaside this morning saying that if anywhere in Dublin gets a lot of snow, Stepaside is it, which was a bit odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

weisses wrote: »
    No I'm not ...... when the first snow is predicted to hit Kerry we would be under a red warning for 24 hours already here ... Which is way OTT
    The windchill here in Kerry is brutal and we have got hailstones and light covering of snow at times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

C__MC wrote: »
    Still a nice crisp day in north Wexford-
    No snow just bitter

Don’t be bitter. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,655 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

MJohnston wrote: »
    Yeah, no doubt one of the things that Canadians learn from snow storms is to not go outside during heavy wind and snow storms?

People often go on about the capabilities of other countries to cope with snow events, but the reality is that most of that kicks in after the snow storms have passed, and the truth is that nearly all countries would shut down and advise people to stay indoors and safe during the storms.

As an example, I was in the Washington DC area one winter, and they frequently get heavy snowfalls in winters, so they're well prepared with snow ploughs and all that. But you were still expected to remain indoors for the first 24 hours after the snow fall, until the authorities could get around to clearing things.

Nail on the head really, that and they also do have procedures to deal with it, which Ireland just doesn't have or really need. Massive diesel trucks, with huge suspension and whopper tires dont compare to a Renault Clio.

That and the gritters are out weeks before hand, but they always expect snow.

We just have to sit tight, watch some netflix and relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

The cat has finally gone out for a shyte. Was getting seriously concerned we were on track to rival this chap http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/drug-suspect-toilet-strike-lamarr-chambers-essex-police-a8226201.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Plenty of showers on the west side of Galway city, some heavier than others but not too shabby.
    Arpege and Hirlam 06z both give plenty of snow up as far as North Galway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

aisling86 wrote: »
    I'm also in Macroom but close to town, the wind has definitely started to pick up...going by charts, it looks like from 3pm the snow will commence properly, we really have gotten away with anything major up to now, hard to believe it's going to change in the next few hours. My parents in cork are snowed in.

I'm shocked to be honest. We seem to get snow when no one else gets it, and so far it seems to fizzle out or go either side of us. I know it's early days but it's unprecedented for snow to miss us when it's in southern Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

LookingFor wrote: »
    I'd venture to say it's worse now in D15 than in 2010. Maybe it's recency bias, but I think the snow amounts are at least as large right now, but the level of daytime snow today + wind is more than I've seen before.

(Still snowing away here...it varies between heavy bursts with gusty wind and lighter periods. More and more 'gusty' bursts in the last hour though).

2010 did last quite a while though. Not sure this event will be as prolonged, but we'll see I guess!

In Dublin 15 we had 15/20 cm on the roads for approx 3 weeks or a little more. Heavy snow in November and then December.

We have more snow now though as it has been so intensive.

Dublin will have lying snow into the beginning of next week becauae of low temperatures but the temperature in the South will rise to 6/7 degrees in Cork by Friday morning and afternoon and melt any snow there.
    No so the case in Dublin and further North.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭morticia2

Absolutely freezing and howling gale out there with horizontal snow on Killiney Beach....and it hasn't even really started yet. Very high waves

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

Went into macroom for water (and beer) this morning. Massive difference between the town and home. From Kilmurry home roads are like ice rinks and plenty snow accumulations even with the sun shining.

I think the showers fizzle out at Coolcower!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Go home accuweather radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

The precipitation coming up from the south looks serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mach 3

Visibility is down to a few hundred feet and dropping, around Dublin Airport. Stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

fepper wrote: »
    The windchill here in Kerry is brutal and we have got hailstones and light covering of snow at times

I know its cold ... But you need to look at the criteria for a red warning ...which are not met yet ...simples

I follow the weather so I know what to expect but there are plenty people I spoke to or heard talking about how serious they will take a red warning the next time considering its just a cold but sunny day outside ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

The sound on the latest press conference is awful! impossible to listen to!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Emma and the Beast....ready to tango!

beauty-and-the-beast-disney-remake.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Where's the snow storm at the moment? Is the mad event from 4 to 12 tomorrow unlikely? Trying to look at radar maps but I don't see what on the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

crisco10 wrote: »
    The sound on the latest press conference is awful! impossible to listen to!

Agreed. They really need to up their game on presentation at these press conferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Incredible Snowfall Rates here in Naas!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

The wind and snow in Blanch is crazy!! Can’t see the houses across the street at times!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Still nothing of note in the Wicklow town area.... Are we expected to get anything tonight?
    We got very little from off the sea, would I be right in thinking our best chance is with the storm bubbling up from the south instead?

Some lovely pictures though. Stay safe everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

weisses wrote: »
    I know its cold ... But you need to look at the criteria for a red warning ...which are not met yet ...simples

I follow the weather so I know what to expect but there are plenty people I spoke to or heard talking about how serious they will take a red warning the next time considering its just a cold but sunny day outside ...

I know,but they couldnt say Munster red but Kerry ok then

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

View of Dublin Bay from Sandymount/Irishtown earlier. It’s been snowing continuously here all morning and up to now. Absolutely biting wind, seas already look very choppy.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Fairly calm here in D10 - Ballyfermot. No real wind of note yet, and the snow has stopped. Plenty of black clouds around though!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KingBobby

Netweather radar is seriously useless. It has showed my location as snow free all day, and it has done nothing but snow non stop.
    Temp has only risen to -2.5
    Its hard to tell the depth of snow because of drifting but theres a lot!
    Dub 16 at 260m

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

Brit on the one news saying the UK is more prepared with winter weather. Cause there’s more snow where her son it and there’s no shutdown.

Nonsense

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Oh the sweet spot , me Pad and the rest of the Kildare massive are living in Snow Heaven :pac:

443746.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

It hasnt let up in Monasterevin since 7 am apart from a 40 min spell of sunshine,easiy 4 inches in that time on top yesterdays.
    If anything its got heavier in the last 30 mins.
    I havent seen consistent snowfalls like this in many years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Any up to date charts or information for the West and NW? Scattered wintery showers on and off all day in Sligo Town, but nothing stuck since the showers between 7 and 8am.

Advertisement