Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭abacus120

Looks like Greystones is set to miss out!

Unfortunately so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Extremely heavy in Maynooth, it has been snowing for a good 6/7 hours and only getting heavier

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

leahyl wrote: »
    Snow starting up again In Cork city

It has been snowing constantly for the last 2 hours here on the south Cork coast. The snow was wetter earlier - it seems to be getting a bit heavier now and the consistency has definitely changed - much drier. Perhaps some of this is reaching you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Starting in Cork city. Gone a lot darker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Yeah I can confirm this.

It's pretty light so far though - small flakes and a little breezy

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pp_me

OK Ok. False alarm. Temp is now dropping again and we are starting to stick again.

PHEW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Everybody.

Emma hasn’t arrived yet. You can’t tell if you are going to miss out or not yet. The existing snow in the east is streamers. If you are not getting streamers it doesn’t mean you won’t get frontal snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Arcady

All clear here in Cork city atm.
    Only fluffy white stuff I see is in my pint of Heineken.

A few flakes starting to come down in Shandon.

Promising!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

awec wrote: »
    Same here in Dublin 18, a few showers of snow this morning but overall a noticeable decline in snow on the ground since yesterday.

I think Emma is supposed to bring more snow, not sure if it's going to lie.

No idea where in D18 you are but it has been snowing where I am since about 9am this morning and no sign of a thaw of any description just snow being compacted by kids playing and people walking etc ........ Roads are okay once you can get onto them without a steep incline like where I am ..... The next 48 hours will be fun 😊😊😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Skedaddle wrote: »
    Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Yeah I can confirm this.

It's pretty light so far though - small flakes and a little breezy
    Yeah but the clouds have darkened.

Went outside for a walk and to attempt to build a snow man...had to come back in much earlier than expected because I was so cold. Don't remember ever feeling this cold outside in 2010, or during other snows...when the wind blew it was actually painful!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

That's a surprise if the snow is quite heavy.

Its hasnt been heavy apart from the odd minute now and then. Its not powder any more, small flakes looking more like wet snow. The wind is a constant blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Current temp here:

9iSZ6wM.png

The highest it has been all day. Went for a walk to the shop to get some cigs (I just wanted an excuse to walk in the snow :p) and I was genuinely shocked at the panic there was in the place. People stocking up, no milk left, no bread, and shelves more than half empty. All I can say is 'WOW' It is almost like the media is performing some sort of social experiment or something, and really shows the power it holds over people. Absolutely crazy.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Can't really see much marginality tonight on the e coast, maybe lower totals due to temps slightly above freezing. Am expecting heavy driving snow with a temp of 0.5-1 tonight, sticking on the pre existing snow pack. If i dont get at least 7-8 cm out of this storm it will be a bit of a let down tbh...meanwhile wind really picking up here with light snow falling

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

leahyl wrote: »
    Snow starting up again In Cork city

I don't want to hear any more snow reports from cork city until I am getting in on the action!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

kittyn wrote: »
    No idea where in D18 you are but it has been snowing where I am since about 9am this morning and no sign of a thaw of any description just snow being compacted by kids playing and people walking etc ........ Roads are okay once you can get onto them without a steep incline like where I am ..... The next 48 hours will be fun 😊😊😊

That's my experience too. No thaw. In fact, it was "slushier" yesterday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭policy75

clouds starting to break up here in the midlands and the sun is sneaking out. our housing estate must have about about 9 inchs of lying snow. got to the shop at midday and have never seen so many empty shelves. obviously panic buying. there were huge queues to all the tills. think everybody is resigned to the fact that tomorrow everything s likely to be closed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

abacus120 wrote: »
    Unfortunately so

ooh I really hope and wish that for once weather on boards.ie is wrong!!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

You know it's getting crazy when the thread is growing faster than you can read it!

In no particular order. There's been flurries, or more, and occasional heavy bursts of snow in Ashbourne for probably most of the night and during the day, the wind is increasing, and at times whipping up severe visibility restrictions, and at the moment, it looks unlikely to change any time soon. This is all coming of Irish Sea streamers, and it's surprising how much we've had considering how close to the coast these are popping up

The Red alerts have changed, the Leinster Munster area is not under Red for as long, it's been brought back to 1200 from 1500 tomorrow, and the rest of the country expires at 0600, so the really bad conditions are now expected to be through earlier. As to exactly what's going to happen before then, I'm not completely convinced that we're going to see the massive falls and conditions that were originally being forecast, but it seems to be down to which model is right and they seem to still be unable to resolve this with any degree of agreement, which I suppose is down to the rarity of these conditions, the models don't have accurate history to base their findings on.

Driving yesterday was bad enough, and I have a vehicle that is completely suitable for the conditions, so I'm glad I don't have to go out in it today, I may end up out tomorrow, we'll take that as it comes.

If I were to make one suggestion to people who do have to drive, drive as though there is a wine glass under your right foot, you have to try to avoid breaking the glass.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

F8EWxV

Oh God say it ain't so! Projecting rain for Wicklow?? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I don't want to hear any more snow reports from cork city until I am getting in on the action!

Snowing heavily now here!.....lol only joking....

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

It has been snowing hard for the past hour in North Wexford, not much if anything is sticking, not thick flakes. Wind has considerably picked up, the storm approaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Its hasnt been heavy apart from the odd minute now and then. Its not powder any more, small flakes looking more like wet snow. The wind is a constant blast.

So the upper temperatures must have risen a fair bit-which is to be expected. Don't worry if you get heavy snow after dark it should start to stick. The only issue is with the wind it won't be uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Blud wrote: »
    Quick word on emergency services - a friend of mine is a nurse in Tallaght children's hospital, she left home at 7am this morning on foot for her 8.30 shift, 90 minute walk in, will be in until 8.30 tonight in full knowledge that means staying in the hospital overnight tonight, with her own 4 kids at home with their dad. Incredible dedication.

Also baffles me that the nurses there will be staying in the hospital overnight while the doctors and consultants doing the same shifts are being ferried to local hotels. Nurses treated as second class citizens for no good reason.

My daughter is a doctor in the Mater and is staying on site overnight too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Ah sure she's a fine lookin' lass! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

ZeroSum76 wrote: »
    F8EWxV

Oh God say it ain't so! Projecting rain for Wicklow?? :eek:

My parents live in Newcastle in Wicklow and they have not had a single drop of snow yet - Dad sent me a pic about an hour ago and its dry and clear.. It's like a different country where I am in Kildare - Driving snow since last night - Easily over a foot of snow and thats before Emma hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

red_bairn wrote: »
    Ah sure she's a fine lookin' lass! :D

Would someone not give that poor lassie a cardigan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

About 6 inches of snow on the ground with higher drifts.
    Some places have drifts a few feet high. Got the brother to stand out and measure one drift, well it was either him or me :)

443774.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Well over a foot of snow in undisturbed places in kildare and it’s still falling, 7 hours now :D

Advertisement