Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

O dear! Temperature rising and up to -0.6c now.
    Hopefully not a wet snow slushfest later?
    I have no idea how Dublin Airport is still at -2c?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭wush06

noah45 wrote: »
    My daughter is a doctor in the Mater and is staying on site overnight too

I think it goes without say that most if not all people thank her and the many other people on the front line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

flakes gently floating around in air in cobh at moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,305 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

leahyl wrote: »
    Snow starting up again In Cork city

I don't want to hear any more snow reports from cork city until I am getting in on the action!

Aren't you in cork ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Aren't you in cork ?

He’s in north Cork so don’t think he’s had much snow so far :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

My parents live in Newcastle in Wicklow and they have not had a single drop of snow yet - Dad sent me a pic about an hour ago and its dry and clear.. It's like a different country where I am in Kildare - Driving snow since last night - Easily over a foot of snow and thats before Emma hits.

Have they had any flakes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Current temp here:

The highest it has been all day. Went for a walk to the shop to get some cigs (I just wanted an excuse to walk in the snow :p) and I was genuinely shocked at the panic there was in the place. People stocking up, no milk left, no bread, and shelves more than half empty. All I can say is 'WOW' It is almost like the media is performing some sort of social experiment or something, and really shows the power it holds over people. Absolutely crazy.

Same here, bizarre behaviour. I just wanted an excuse to go for a drive and a walk. The drifts are impressive where there is a long stretch over open fields, we have done quite well from those streamers stretching all the way across the country.
    No good for snowballs though, no sign of any snowmen either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Current temp here:

9iSZ6wM.png

The highest it has been all day. Went for a walk to the shop to get some cigs (I just wanted an excuse to walk in the snow :p) and I was genuinely shocked at the panic there was in the place. People stocking up, no milk left, no bread, and shelves more than half empty. All I can say is 'WOW' It is almost like the media is performing some sort of social experiment or something, and really shows the power it holds over people. Absolutely crazy.

Agreed, it's almost reached mass hysteria and is gone absolutely crazy. We're forecast 6 inches where I'm living and the shops are cleaned out, we got 3 inches 2 weeks ago and no one said anything. 2010 dragged on for a month, water lines were freezing and walking on footpaths was pretty much like walking a 2 inch sheet of glass with freezing fog that never lifted and it wasn't a big deal. I understand people have to be safe and use common sense with travel but the world is gone nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

It was never going to affect your area. If it had it's likely those seeing snow in the south would be seeing rain instead. I said the models extending it nearly countrywide a few days ago were not to be trusted.

I know!

But having said that, I think you would enjoy the current scene here 'back home'. Constant blowing snow, both from the sky and the ground under an ever darkening sky. It is a genuine pity you are not here to experience it in your homeland.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It snowed for hours in Cork last night and the airport didn't open because of it so how can it be seen as anything else?

Because unfortunately 5 cm of cover is enough to close an airport.

It didn't snow there from before midnight until before 1 pm today. The depth remained at 5 cm throughout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,305 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Aren't you in cork ?

Oh well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6gNrTIAKH8

This is Drone footage of CARRIGALINE earlier yesterday.

Just to show, those who dont believe, how much snow we have been getting relative to Cork City itself.

Amazing really the amount of "Microclimates" in Cork area that this event has shown up.

Carrigaline, 16kms south of the City has gotten well snowed over for last 3 days. Pretty much standstill, very difficult to move around and get in / out of.

Where as many in the city cannot believe this is the case because the city didnt get any where near what Carrigaline got.

Then also add MALLOW, north of the city ... NO SNOW AT ALL apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

pimpmyhat wrote: »
    Have they had any flakes?

Cornflakes maybe. Certainly not snowflakes. Graupel only.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭littlema

Blud wrote: »
    Quick word on emergency services - a friend of mine is a nurse in Tallaght children's hospital, she left home at 7am this morning on foot for her 8.30 shift, 90 minute walk in, will be in until 8.30 tonight in full knowledge that means staying in the hospital overnight tonight, with her own 4 kids at home with their dad. Incredible dedication.

Also baffles me that the nurses there will be staying in the hospital overnight while the doctors and consultants doing the same shifts are being ferried to local hotels. Nurses treated as second class citizens for no good reason.

Son working in A&E at Mater as an Advanced Nurse Practitioner is being put up at local hotel along with nursing staff on day&knight duty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

noah45 wrote: »
    My daughter is a doctor in the Mater and is staying on site overnight too

I'm a midwife in the Rotunda (on nights off luckily!) but the other midwives are being put up in local hotels since yesterday afternoon...babies don't seem to understand weather warnings! :pac:

so the little lad on TV3 said, and I quote. We're looking at a dumping of 25-30cm on the east, that about 5-6 inches of snow"!!

No I'm not an engineer but isnt 25-30cm closer to 12" ?? WTF!! a lad who cannot convert metric to imperial...no wonder it's a hive of misinformation, what a joke!!

• Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

kittyn wrote: »
    No idea where in D18 you are but it has been snowing where I am since about 9am this morning and no sign of a thaw of any description just snow being compacted by kids playing and people walking etc ........ Roads are okay once you can get onto them without a steep incline like where I am ..... The next 48 hours will be fun 😊😊😊
    Near the racecourse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

My local shop owner has been told he might not get deliveries on some stuff till Monday especially milk and bread. He had limited deliveries this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

wush06 wrote: »
    I think it goes without say that most if not all people thank her and the many other people on the front line.

Only meant it to say that its not just nurses that are staying on site.
    I think we are all grateful to the entire community of medical, gardai and emergency services countrywide

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Vxlks

*specifically south*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Much? Virtually nothing! It's not so bad if it was just up the east coast but when only up the road hard to take!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Ah TV3s intrepid weather presenter Deric O h'Artagain has just informed us that we will have possibly 25-30 cms of snow accumulating in some areas and this equates to Five and a half to six inches ! What a fool I've been all these years believing differently!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

aidanodr wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6gNrTIAKH8

This is Drone footage of CARRIGALINE earlier yesterday.

Just to show, those who dont believe, how much snow we have been getting relative to Cork City itself.

Amazing really the amount of "Microclimates" in Cork area that this event has shown up.

Carrigaline, 16kms from the City has gotten welled snowed over for last 3 days. Pretty much standstill, very difficult to move around and get in / out of.

Where as many in the city cannot believe this is the case because the city didnt get any where near what Carrigaline got.

Then also add MALLOW, north of the city ... NO SNOW AT ALL apparently.

further south than that. this was taken yesterday at 16:40 10km north of blackpool, co. cork...

s0IHAPq5SARuxD5F93FKISRpm_X7Q-XtD05vvwTW6I_w59gja2tT4pfh6J0sdVG2_TbqmXLwsTPaqTfe2bdsujhSSIMJLT1bjWErkI0xCKOgbkKv2wy6T9iirj0WqdEGwP-OQMt9Js5EWgobG-Ui2ml_sbXB4RFBJJVImtRlFrQZVATvpFsd3c5zqKs95R0Ua5uzeoKg4KFQfryNLt_RxrepITwAl84FG1Eljsl1Rhr8oQKpJZ2AOyeIoAiuT09cPups00ShFZzfx2sUfqekuwwr3VKD6U1jbzD3B1McJ2rxg06EwL2uAIQOj_cs-lGRfFCeRO7B5YRdjti35KqsVC3t7pBZYCnmfcqd-GPSPV4T7JmifmmEDl0ar-TRr6I6fe_T7c7yZo2oZKHH2wZTSp7vtLLCzFBauD1ETF5YJnKWXkkBzYxT73lhkkf1Wvci_luFy5tpzUPrxTduMmzfUKz70YY96dvMkrFkOxheGJTtu3wfjecMf47hyfhnYCG4Rqx-gyrYAhyF0eiFIA-0NNvmA3NjoCjiKnCmPmy8brdYI8zpn-JCnWUHTRs1V4jUZPCzWGQy_W-bPJ-T700iPRB1e-Wu1DfcpZ2-mwO-FSS_6D3gCI4HaGOJEwJYhzpcF3Mvo3lia8p71L5FAegbCbAajljYEGsIoQ=w1181-h886-no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

policy75 wrote: »
    clouds starting to break up here in the midlands and the sun is sneaking out. our housing estate must have about about 9 inchs of lying snow. got to the shop at midday and have never seen so many empty shelves. obviously panic buying. there were huge queues to all the tills. think everybody is resigned to the fact that tomorrow everything s likely to be closed

same here, snow has been constant since we woke this morning but getting lighter now and slightly warmer outside too. Serious snow depths though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Vxlks

Judging from any updated charts now, how is dublin looking?

*specifically south*

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MaccaTacca

Light flakes falling in Bray now, first proper fall in a while.

I’m no longer paying attention to any of those apps or forecast websites as it seems to snow at opposite times, as projected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Snow is very sporadic here in D9. You can see it on ME little blank spots over S.dublin - thought these were radar errors but there are passing dry patches with less thick cloud overhead now and then. Sweet has to be N.Kildare atm as it much more continuous there.

Absolutely no accumulations today really despite plenty of falling snow. Too windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Just in from being out all morning. Living in Tramore and hasn't stopped since I got up this morning. Non-stop and starting to get heavier now if that's even possible. Measured a metre in places where drifting occurred. Easily 2ft of snow out the back garden. Sorry if someone reported from this area already, thread is too long

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Safiri wrote: »
    Agreed, it's almost reached mass hysteria and is gone absolutely crazy. We're forecast 6 inches where I'm living and the shops are cleaned out, we got 3 inches 2 weeks ago and no one said anything. 2010 dragged on for a month, water lines were freezing and walking on footpaths was pretty much like walking a 2 inch sheet of glass with freezing fog that never lifted and it wasn't a big deal. I understand people have to be safe and use common sense with travel but the world is gone nuts.

All the old people here in south Cork said that the last time we had this much snow is 1947. We already have more snow than 1982 here and this is before Emma has arrived. I spent 3 years in Austria and even I think this snow is remarkable. I understand why the shops are cleaned out here. Given how localized extremely heavy snow fall is proving to be, don't you agree that Met Eireann have an impossible job to strike the right balance here in their warnings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lightly snowing here now in cork city, slowly picking up.

Advertisement