Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

revelman wrote: »
    All the old people here in south Cork said that the last time we had this much snow is 1947. We already have more snow than 1982 here and this is before Emma has arrived. I spent 3 years in Austria and even I think this snow is remarkable. I understand why the shops are cleaned out here. Given how localized extremely heavy snow fall is proving to be, don't you agree that Met Eireann have an impossible job to strike the right balance here in their warnings?

It was worse in 1982 at this point, maybe not when the storm hits though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

It's weird snow where I am( Monasterevan) consistent showers all day but the roads are clear and even the footpaths have a thaw on. Not convinced that emma won't turn into a slushfest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

John.Icy wrote: »
    Sweet has to be N.Kildare atm as it much more continuous there.

been snowing pretty much continously (couple of short breaks) all day here. Reckon we now have 15-20cm here.

Back garden is snowed over yesterdays tracks...and most of this mornings already

And we havent seen Emma yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭policy75

youtube! wrote: »
    Ah TV3s intrepid weather presenter Deric O h'Artagain has just informed us that we will have possibly 25-30 cms of snow accumulating in some areas and this equates to Five and a half to six inches ! What a fool I've been all these years believing differently!

TV3 has got the weather forecast so badly wrong this week. It would seem they are trying to make up for it by now forecasting a 'day after tomorrow' scenario. God knows they could be right this time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Wouldnt be surprised if sleet fell briefly before the ppn gets going this evening. Id say the coast should see a decent amount of snow but it will be of a wetter variety. Ppn intensity trying to pick up here but its still really only light snow. Really hope this system delivers tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

The Virginia snow machine has not stopped since yesterday evening. Looking on New weather the Streamers are going to go another few hours. Was up the hill earlier and its knee high in places

I don't want to hear any more snow reports from cork city until I am getting in on the action!

Are you confident we will see some??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

No accumulation since Tuesday night in D6 /D14 somebody please tell me Emma will make it to Dublin :(

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

It was worse in 1982 at this point, maybe not when the storm hits though.

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Total whiteout here in Naas again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Snow starting to get more moderate in Cork City. Breeze picking up also

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Ive seriously lost faith in the YR app, its snowing fairly heavy here in galway and its being saying no precipitation for the last few hours. I thought it was the bees knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It has been snowing quite a bit in North Dublin, Portmarnock today, but I don't think it's amounted to any real increase in snow depth on the ground. In the last hour or so there's been no snow at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

Any latest satellite of the storm. How far is the real snow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Big snow flakes falling here in West Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

wakka12 wrote: »
    No accumulation since Tuesday night in D6 /D14 somebody please tell me Emma will make it to Dublin :(

Check the grass/side roads - it's blowing off everything else but is accumulating slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

pnpweirdo wrote: »
    Any latest satellite of the storm. How far is the real snow

Arriving Wales.
    UK met office make Wales Red Alert
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/met-office-issues-red-weather-14352416

• Registered Users Posts: 11,657 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Pretty consistent in D3, snow isn't heavy but I just came in from driving and the wind is very up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Where are you based?

Fair point, I'm not in Cork so can only speak for South Dublin right now. I vividly remember back then having drifts which completely covered my dad's car, could only make out a vague shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

All the old people here in south Cork said that the last time we had this much snow is 1947. We already have more snow than 1982 here and this is before Emma has arrived. I spent 3 years in Austria and even I think this snow is remarkable. I understand why the shops are cleaned out here. Given how localized extremely heavy snow fall is proving to be, don't you agree that Met Eireann have an impossible job to strike the right balance here in their warnings?

Absolutely, it's an impossible job as you are always going to have people on both sides of the coin, storm in a tea cup to the apocalypse and with the unpredictable nature of weather, it's always going to be difficult. I don't have an issue with the warning system but the media hype of these events(extraordinarily as they are) has reached mass hysteria with people panicking like the world is about to end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

pad199207 wrote: »

Jesus,Naas must be buried by now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Estate is becoming impassable now. the drifts are close to cutting off my road

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Them Yanks at the airport sound like awful doses!!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Fair point, I'm not in Cork so can only speak for South Dublin right now. I vividly remember back then having drifts which completely covered my dad's car, could only make out a vague shape.

Ya, my father, who was a truck driver, jackknifed his truck in 1982. He is amazed by our pre-Emma snowfall here since Tuesday evening. Stay safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

pad199207 wrote: »

Jesus,Naas must be buried by now!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Drove today through Kilkenny, up to Kildare, back down through Laois, Tipp and home to Cork on the motorways.

Some difference around the place! Kildare was definitely the worst. Tipp meanwhile was snowless. Hats off to the lads in ploughs etc, the motorways were perfect to drive on. Home is 5 miles from the coast in East Cork. We've about 15cm already. It'll be an interesting few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Rapid thaw on here on the Tipp/Kilkenny border. We're going to be out of snow soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Ooh wind really picking up in Dublin bay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Is there some sort of invisible dome over Limerick?

Not a flake in sight. Windy and cold but that's it, bone dry otherwise

Advertisement