Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Light/moderate snow, conditions deteriorating

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Nothing here in north Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GDSGR8

When is the wind likely to pick up properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fitzo123

At a loss to explain these snow showers in Sligo town. Keep seeing we're not promised anything but we had a semi-decent fall this morning and snow showers keep happening with regularity.

Kinda hoping this is going to spring a surprise and we'll get a dumping tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

leahyl wrote: »
    Jesus,Naas must be buried by now!

I'm not far from Naas and it hasn't really stopped since last night, the snow is 3 foot in drifts, total whiteout here now too, even the kids have decided enough playing in the snow was enough and have all retired to the warmth of their homes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

It has been snowing quite a bit in North Dublin, Portmarnock today, but I don't think it's amounted to any real increase in snow depth on the ground. In the last hour or so there's been no snow at all.

Same here down in West Waterford, we've had snow, not graupel, for the past 3/4 hours, it dances about, small flakes, but contributes very little to the cover on the ground. I think it just gets kind of sweeped into ditches, bits against door and window frames, then a gust of wind lifts them up and takes them somewhere else... It's still going on, hasn't stopped, wind picking up a bit, a few very pretty gusts and whirlwinds on the grass.
    More exposed spots probably have 20 cm, but on the road and driveways it's more like 3 to 5 cm.

I'm at the foot of Knockmealdowns, 190 masl, we usually get more snow than other places, but so far with this event we have been pretty much spared. I think the Comeraghs to our East are taking the brunt of it, I expect we might get a bit more later on when it comes from the South, if I understand right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

Extending the red warning to the northwest for all day today was a mistake.absolute nothingburger

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

Snow has been falling at a steady (light to moderate) pace in Clonmel for the past 40 minutes, but the level of snow on the ground has gone down noticeably since it started. ~4cm of snow this morning, but now patches where you can see the bare ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

patneve2 wrote: »
    Light/moderate snow, conditions deteriorating

Where are you Pat? Things deteriorating rapidly in blessington. Snow is heavier and visability is low.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Snow was starting to thaw quickly here in Cork, not sure if there was a raise in temperature or the wind but now is starting to snow again, You can definitely tell the wind has started to pick up as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

LastLagoon wrote: »
    Extending the red warning to the northwest for all day today was a mistake.absolute nothingburger

As was said earlier, the people issuing the warnings walk a fairly thin tight rope. No warning for somewhere that got Snow? Whinging.

Warnings for areas that ended up gettingt none. Whinging.

If it saved one lifeit was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Waterford

UfPg0Pf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Is there some sort of invisible dome over Limerick?

Not a flake in sight. Windy and cold but that's it, bone dry otherwise

We've taken Cork's snow shield this year :p

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Emma is getting closer. Cornwall and Devon covered!

http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/realtime-rainradar#

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

I don't want to hear any more snow reports from cork city until I am getting in on the action!

Are you north cork? Light snow in Macroom with strong winds. If I don't wake up tomorrow with a foot of snow I'll be disappointed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yea the real cut in that cold earlier has been toned down a bit and temp gradually rising. Fortunately snow is ususl chunkiest with temps around 0C.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

aisling86 wrote: »
    Are you north cork? Light snow in Macroom with strong winds. If I don't wake up tomorrow with a foot of snow I'll be disappointed!!

Ditto. If I'm able to tell where the path ends and the road begins I'll be an unhappy snowbunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

LastLagoon wrote: »

agree...but on the other hand...how were they to know that these constant streams of precip from the east would all die out more or less exactly at the border?

443785.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

peasant wrote: »
    agree...but on the other hand...how were they to know that these constant streams of precip from the east would all die out more or less exactly at the border?

443785.JPG

something something damn brexit hard border

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

As was said earlier, the people issuing the warnings walk a fairly thin tight rope. No warning for somewhere that got Snow? Whinging.

Warnings for areas that ended up gettingt none. Whinging.

If it saved one lifeit was worth it.

It's also been snowing all day in parts of the northwest. No idea why people are complaining. It's not weather to be working in.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭gastons

Lots of drifted snow piles here in rural longford. Our two way road is impassible. Wind is picking up and snow is falling heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Six to seven inches of snow here in Armagh City. Been snowing most of the day and currently blizzard conditions. I can't believe it's the 1st March!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Tralee is still completely snowless, red warning is certainly not warranted around here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

a total of 6cm in Kilkenny city,been snowing on and off all morning but we are losing coverage at an alarming rate now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Where are you Pat? Things deteriorating rapidly in blessington. Snow is heavier and visability is low.

Dalkey area. Not accumulating much with this strong wind and is mostly light anyways. Wind is very impressive- the irish sea absolutely roaring below me

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

awec wrote: »
    Near the racecourse.

Ah right I’m higher up than you but I’d say by this time tomorrow you will have plenty of snow 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Tramore

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

aisling86 wrote: »

It's getting soul destroying here. Radar shows snow, I can see it on all the surrounding hills and not a flake here. I give up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

did we get a curfew warning for ophelia?

Advertisement