Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Yea the real cut in that cold earlier has been toned down a bit and temp gradually rising. Fortunately snow is ususl chunkiest with temps around 0C.

I've no thermometer outside, but I'd guesstimate in my location temperatures are probably oscillating between -1 or 2 and 0 since this morning, since we've had bits of thaw like the roof, snow on the cars melting very slowly, but then the drips turn to icicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Suncroft kildare heavy snow, just back from the shop, talking to local contractors hired in by Co council, they recon they can keep roads clear till around 8pm this evening in relation to the acclamation of snow and viability

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Is there some sort of invisible dome over Limerick?

Not a flake in sight. Windy and cold but that's it, bone dry otherwise

I am just thinking the same myself.
    Disappointing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

jambofc wrote: »
    a total of 6cm in Kilkenny city,been snowing on and off all morning but we are losing coverage at an alarming rate now

Im just towards Kilmanagh, little bit above town. Snowing constant the last hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭ando

I’ve attached a pic from a ruler on top of my car! Newbridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Yea the real cut in that cold earlier has been toned down a bit and temp gradually rising. Fortunately snow is ususl chunkiest with temps around 0C.

Associated warm up to air ahead of the storm, temperature will drop again soon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Live TV3 report -"The runway is now closed at Dublin, no flights landing or taking off". Quick look at Flightradar show this is starkly inaccurate information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Wind picked up now in Portarlington, snow coming in sideways

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

patneve2 wrote: »
    Dalkey area. Not accumulating much with this strong wind and is mostly light anyways. Wind is very impressive- the irish sea absolutely roaring below me

Down the road in bray here, same as yourself, roaring wind and light snow in the wind. fingers crossed we get something major later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

I see a new windchill record was set for the station in Dangan in NUIG

Capture.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

It's difficult to walk against the wind here in Celbridge now with the extent of the blowing snow.

Worse, there's a yellow snow warning out too...

443762.jpg

I went to the green beside the Playground in Celbridge earlier.
    The way the wind swirled the snow up - it was positvely Polar!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

LastLagoon wrote: »
    You’d have to drive blindfolded to have any risk here at the moment
    Been following the predictions here since last week and at no stage has there been much talk of anything for the NW,don’t see what changed last night,it’s genuinely a joke that the schools are off here today (tmrw another matter) and that’s on top of them getting the day AFTER Ophelia off also even though it was a complete nothingburger on the day too (no issue with the red and closures on the day of Ophelia even though it was nothing here)

I don't see it as a big deal tbh.
    There's more to life than work, school, and the economy.
    So many people might have been travelling that day for work, school matches, etc... from one snowless area to an affected area. I think it's a good thing that all these people did not have to make the decision on whether to head off to their destination or not.
    Look at the mayhem in France on the motorways right now, a lot of people making the wrong decision to travel when they had been warned.
    Red warnings cut to the chase in these circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Looking at Hirlam for tonight (especially after midnight) it's looking like the south east corner is going to get buried!!

Should have bought more bread.

May start making some, and I may stay up just to see it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

ando wrote: »

Cabriolet?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Been following the predictions here since last week and at no stage has there been much talk of anything for the NW,don’t see what changed last night,it’s genuinely a joke that the schools are off here today (tmrw another matter) and that’s on top of them getting the day AFTER Ophelia off also even though it was a complete nothingburger on the day too (no issue with the red and closures on the day of Ophelia even though it was nothing here)

The streamers were on track for the area, but unfortunately people cannot predict when they'll eventually have depleted themselves (just short of your area)

Seriously, we have areas in Dublin under many inches of snow - while a mile or 2 away none.

It is an impossible task to expect warnings to be given to some areas but exclude certain townlands and hamlets etc.

We have been besieged here (I am currently in the midst of at least a foot and a half of snow) where it has been snowing pretty much nonstop since late last night.

People in Bray (e.g)(which isn't far from me as the crow flys) aren't getting much at all.

Just enjoy the day off. Have a beer. Go for a walk. Have sex. Eat ice cream. Do whatever makes you happy.

If it saved one life it was well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    It's getting soul destroying here. Radar shows snow, I can see it on all the surrounding hills and not a flake here. I give up.

The Cork Snow Shield system has been acting up. You're probably just getting a deflected beam.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

leahyl wrote: »
    Jesus,Naas must be buried by now!

29cm of snow in my back garden in Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Extending the red warning to the northwest for all day today was a mistake.absolute nothingburger

Depends where in the Northwest you are. I'm snowed in and can't even walk to the shops due to pure whiteout conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭honda boi

Delvin
    Lowest point 30cm
    Highest 45cm!!! This only in back garden.
    Its higher out the front!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Live TV3 report -"The runway is now closed at Dublin, no flights landing or taking off". Quick look at Flightradar show this is starkly inaccurate information.

Yep and they also told us earlier that 30cm of snow was equivalent to 5-6 inches . Then they told us they were reporting from Bellinter, did a report and when they went back to the same reporter he was reporting from Slane ! (10 miles away)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭secman

6 cm sure that's nothing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

#broscience

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The streamers were on track for the area, but unfortunately people cannot predict when they'll eventually have depleted themselves (just short of your area)

Seriously, we have areas in Dublin under many inches of snow - while a mile or 2 away none.

It is an impossible task to expect warnings to be given to some areas but exclude certain townlands and hamlets etc.

We have been besieged here (I am currently in the midst of at least a foot and a half of snow) where it has been snowing pretty much nonstop since late last night.

People in Bray (e.g)(which isn't far from me as the crow flys) aren't getting much at all.

Just enjoy the day off. Have a beer. Go for a walk. Have sex. Eat ice cream. Do whatever makes you happy.

Is there anywhere in dublin with no snow??
    I thought every part of dublin has at least 2 inches or so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Inishowen clattered. No mention anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

youtube! wrote: »
    Yep and they also told us earlier that 30cm of snow was equivalent to 5-6 inches . Then they told us they were reporting from Bellinter, did a report and when they went back to the same reporter he was reporting from Slane ! (10 miles away)

It's closed from 4 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Absolutely spot on.

Reading last night about snow bucketing down and low visibility in Terenure, Ballyfermot and even D24, I'm in Firhouse and there was nothing at that time. I cleared all snow off the car at 11am today from overnight (about 6-8inches) and theres nothing new there now, just a light dusting really.

People in work on Tuesday going on about Ophelia and how red warning was over the top, can't imagine how many more would have been killed or injured had we not had a red warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Gambas wrote: »
    I see a new windchill record was set for the station in Dangan in NUIG

Capture.jpg

'All time records' (since June 09)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Feck it your'e right I'm gonna do both at the same time ;)

Advertisement