Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Newbridge getting a hammering since morning. Heavier sneachta falling lately. This is epic already .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Brilliant presentation by siobhán on RTÉ one just now
    At least an extra 25cms in the east maybe 30 or more
    Record breaking she said
    She’s also expecting a metre in the Wicklow mountains
    Not drifts actual amount of snow falling
    That will be 20 feet drifts plus

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Burts Bee wrote: »
    Moderate snow flurry in north cork now

North Cork finally gets some snow! People from Mallow were complaining about lack of snow on radio earlier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

We’ve got a roughy 1 Foot Of snow here in east galway, conditions are getting worse

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Aaaaand the "what shops are open?" posts have taken over Facebook.
    My missus will go blind from rolling her eyes so much reading them. She refused to post my reply of "why doesn't someone drive around and let us know which ones are open."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Burts Bee wrote: »
    Moderate snow flurry in north cork now
    Moderate is better than no snow flurries.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

snowfall has really picked up here now in Dunshaughlin. I think the transition from Irish sea streamers to Storm Emma is transparent today, hasn't really stopped snowing since last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Record breaking she said

I’ve a feeling it’s going to be a fun 36 hours or so ....... Bring it on 😂😂

Record breaking she said

Missed it. Did she just talk about the East?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭arctictree

Record breaking she said

Its weird, we have virtually no snow so far in Roundwood. Yet the radar has been showing precipitation all day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Am I too ? :D

Any luck there so far?

Hasn't stopped here for one minute since I got up this morning, relentless heavy driving snow, unreal and far beyond what I was expecting for today.

Looks like the outer bands of the storm are starting to move into the south east now though very light for now, the main band still over Cornwall and Devon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Kilkenny is the Mid-West according to TV3!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

aisling86 wrote: »
    Bet this will scoot past mid/north cork too....

I'd be confident it'll hit Macroom, Ballyvourney, Clondrohid and Toons Bridge, leaving one big green patch dead centre where I am!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Emma must almost be upon us, as the winds have definitely increased here now and seem to be getting stronger.

I've quite an impressive build up of snow on the car roofs,(a foot at least) and I've seen others clear this away, just wondering if this is advisable or will I let it sit?

I find it a handy indicator of what has fell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

looks like we are in for a shaky night

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭FuzzyZoeller

pad199207 wrote: »
    Absolutely chucking it down here in Naas now. For me now this is already memorable

Have to agree... I missed out on the fun (snow wise) due to the birth of my first born on the 20/12/10 which had me cursing the snow (sorry!), but I am over it now :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Shadylou wrote: »
    as far as todays weather, the kids could've gone to school and I could've gone to work quite happily and be in no danger.....I think the warning should've started a lot later

Not in my area (bishopstown). The roads we totally snowed over and basically frozen until 2pm, my schools on a hill, the only things gritted were the main roads. Cars Hill (main road to all the pharma places) was deadlocked with the little snow yesterday so today would have been much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

How could 20-30cm of snow fall in such a small amount of time. So this will be complete all out blizzard? It would have to be incredibly sustained and heavy snow for that amount to fall, pretty incredible..verging on unbelievable!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

Aaaaand the "what shops are open?" posts have taken over Facebook.
    My missus will go blind from rolling her eyes so much reading them. She refused to post my reply of "why doesn't someone drive around and let us know which ones are open."

I've seen one guy who was lapping up the bread memes & laughing at eveyone now complaining that the shops are closed/have no bread and he wants some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

revelman wrote: »
    Missed it. Did she just talk about the East?

Annoyingly yes. When asked to give a timeline on events, no mention of when it would arrive in the south, all about the east and Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

revelman wrote: »
    North Cork finally gets some snow! People from Mallow were complaining about lack of snow on radio earlier!

The snow we are getting isn't worth talking about. A few flakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Snowing for over 8 hours now in South Kilkenny but where's Emma? I was expecting her around now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

My elderly parents in Dublin have no water to their whole estate (and of course they made no provisions for bottled water). Some people from the council came along and tried to make repairs but left as the mains pipe was frozen solid. Really hope they don't lose their electricity overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Johnny Vegas complaining as he stranded

Was it just me, or did he come across as having had a few too many at the airport bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

aisling86 wrote: »
    Are you north cork? Light snow in Macroom with strong winds. If I don't wake up tomorrow with a foot of snow I'll be disappointed!!

Yeah near Mallow. Very overcast and a bit of dandruff. I think it will be later before anything worthwhile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Shadylou wrote: »
    as far as todays weather, the kids could've gone to school and I could've gone to work quite happily and be in no danger.....I think the warning should've started a lot later
    yep it's certainly looking that way. nearly the dreaded 4pm now and just a few flurries here - mid Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

Darwin wrote: »
    My elderly parents in Dublin have no water to their whole estate (and of course they made no provisions for bottled water). Some people from the council came along and tried to make repairs but left as the mains pipe was frozen solid. Really hope they don't lose their electricity overnight.

If you can you should bring them to your place.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

I know of one man who died due to being caught out in blizzards near Ballinascorney in the hills in County Dublin. His body was found in drifts some time later.

Five men died in Wexford , a couple were over come by fumes in their car when they left the engine running and the exhaust got blocked by drifting snow in the west of Ireland .

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

Have to work at 6 for an unnameable hotel in Dublin city centre. Gonna walk the Green Line Luas tracks to get there.

• Advertisement

jim-mcdee wrote: »
    I think the country has gone mad with these weather alerts. I appreciate the 3 days off work, but then everything is closed. Trains were running 30 mins late yesterday and there was only an inch or two of snow on the ground. Waited 20 mins for a LUAS. It was cold but can a LUAS not run properly in cold weather? Or is is just the drivers see snow and then ring in 'ah snowed in here, must be a good 2cm on the ground. cant get the car out'. There were an elderly pair beside me absolutely freezing waiting for it to come. Ridiculous.

There is a thread dedicated to the necessity (or not) of weather alerts. You can go there to complain. The snow fall so far has been extremely localized. In my area in the South Cork coast, we've already had more snow than 1982. Just because it looks one way outside your window doesn't mean it is the same elsewhere. Safety comes first.

Advertisement